New Book- Blue- A St. Barts Memoir by David Coggins

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
He gained instant fans around the world with tales of his family’s many years visiting Paris in winter. Now David Coggins brings to curious, travel-loving readers the same degree of enviable stories and charming illustrations, this time from St. Barts—a perfect compliment to the first book in the series.
Blue: A St. Barts Memoir by artist and writer David Coggins is an affectionate, poetic account of his family’s annual visits to St. Barthélemy in the French West Indies. As in his popular Paris in Winter, the pages of Blue are full of lyrical writing and vivid watercolors and ink drawings.
Coggins and his family have a passion for the simple yet sophisticated pleasures of life on the beautiful French island. That passion is contagious, and the reader is soon caught up in rituals developed and refined over 20 years. Much of it centers around the mountain villa where they stay and the timeless joys of the Caribbean: swimming, reading, sailing, meals overlooking the sea.
Coggins describes the natural world lovingly, and captures it in his drawings–sublime sky and sea, lush tropical gardens, abundant wildlife from iguanas to whales. He writes about social life, about the famous and glamorous but more about people who live on the island, chefs, artists, wine sellers, sailors.
Blue is a delight for the eye and the mind, an antidote to the pressures of urban life. It’s a deeply personal telling of one family’s experiences in an idyllic setting, but Coggins’s gifts as storyteller and illustrator, conveyed with humanity and a love of life, make Blue universally enchanting.
David Coggins is the author and illustrator of Paris in Winter: An Illustrated Memoir and The Nostalgic Heart. His artwork and designs for theater have been seen widely in the U.S. and abroad.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Barts-Memoir-David-Coggins/dp/157687897X

Thank you for the tip, and link. I immediately jumped to Amazon and placed my order. I should have it by Tuesday. I will post about what I think after reading. Thanks again for the link and info

Quite a lot of the book is already on Amazon "look inside". The drawings are just beautiful. Wonder what the family did to be able to have that kind of life?! Looks like a lovely read.

I have ordered the book from Amazon and expected (I am a Prime member) it to arrive in 2-3 days. I have yet to receive it, and when checking Amazon, learned that it will not be released until 10/16, so I wait. Looking forward to looking it over, and I will share my view of it afterwards.

We got the book today and it is a very interesting read (like the author's description of their first visit to Maya's, and Randy describing how he and Maya stumbled on SBH and all) and all pictures are of eye candy type.

I just ordered one and should have it by Sat. The "teaser" pics are charming and well done! Can't wait to
enjoy.

Mine came yesterday. Already loving the watercolors mixed in. I think it may be an open anywhere book rather than a read from front to back book. Lots of fun stories that take you right to the places you come to know and love. Looking forward to many random reads and a quick SBH fix with the photos and stories.

It is wonderful---truly a trip back in time---so many familiar names and places. And yes, it is filled with random thoughts and vignettes and the illustrations are charming. It is especially nice for people who feel a bit nostalgic about their visits in the '80s and early '90s. He is obviously imbued with the spirit of the island.

It is wonderful---truly a trip back in time---so many familiar names and places. And yes, it is filled with random thoughts and vignettes and the illustrations are charming. It is especially nice for people who feel a bit nostalgic about their visits in the '80s and early '90s. He is obviously imbued with the spirit of the island.

Speaking about nostalgia... Here's the first IDF Fashion Show, as captured by Phil in January of 2013 (from SBH Online Archive on Wayback Machine.
[h=2]First IDF Fashion Show of the New Year[/h][FONT=&quot]
A small group of us were in attendance tonight at IDF's first show of 2013. There were a lot of new fashions, as well as some new faces. Here's a taste. For more, https://plus.google.com/photos/10562...75513524828017
[/FONT]

Phil has his camera in readiness. Still waiting for that first alert that the poolside Fashion Shows have returned. Last date I heard mentioned was not until December.

Phil has his camera in readiness. Still waiting for that first alert that the poolside Fashion Shows have returned. Last date I heard mentioned was not until December.
We are looking forward to seeing the new pictures from the Master. You will be there in December, Amy, right?

Yes,Leon. We will be here in December this year.

Today was bright,no Sahara sand, and warm delightful breezes. I see New York weather is cooling, and I am truly grateful to be here

I just received this book for my birthday from Aimee. If you love St. Barts like we do, you will love this book. It takes you there as soon as you open the pages. In a very light, simple yet beautiful way, the author with his words and paintings brings St. Barts back to you. Smells, tastes and noises come off the pages.

I felt the same. Brought back the feelings from the early '90s. We had met Randy and Maya on Nantucket before our first trip to St.Barts. Our dinner at Mayas lived up to everything we had heard from others. We were on St.Barts the last week of Oct. 2018. Still our favorite destination and had a wonderful ten days at CEC which was our 4th stay at Dennis's very comfortable villa. We missed Mayas and the Hideaway, but had a wonderful meal at Santa Fe.