Florence in the Carolinas & beyond

NancySC

Senior Insider
I hope all of the forum writers & readers who live in the Carolinas have made it thru Florence with minimum damage & disruption. Here in Bluffton, & Hilton Head our next door neighbor, we've been extremely lucky unlike our northern coastal & interior neighbors. Wishing speedy recovery from wicked Flo. One of the forum members writes from Southport...how are you & yours ? Friends there too who went to 2nd home in Raleigh.

Today I heard that Raleigh was getting pounded by heavy rains and wind. Glad to see you are ok, Nancy.

From Durham - 4 tornado warnings this morning and it is not even 9am. Many flooded roads between our house and work, but nothing like the rest of the state and for that I am very grateful. Family in Fayetteville have a flooded basement, but holding up ok. The coast and any cities and towns near the rivers will need support for a very long time. The major universities were so smart and proactive to send their students home early last week. The F named hurricanes (Fran, Floyd, Florence) really have hit NC hard.

Charlotte

We are now about to get the heavy rains in the Philadelphia area but not as devastating like the Carolinas...
this is some big storm...

I hope all of the forum writers & readers who live in the Carolinas have made it thru Florence with minimum damage & disruption. Here in Bluffton, & Hilton Head our next door neighbor, we've been extremely lucky unlike our northern coastal & interior neighbors. Wishing speedy recovery from wicked Flo. One of the forum members writes from Southport...how are you & yours ? Friends there too who went to 2nd home in Raleigh.
We are ever so grateful in Charleston SC that Florence steered away from us. But also very concerned about our NC neighbors. The amount of water that has fallen is truly scary.

Nancy . . . I understand that you’ll be getting together with mutual friends / extended family from Daufuskie Island — such a small world! Have fun . . . including sharing SBH stories!

Nancy, so glad that you fared ok through the hurricane. Terrible situation for so many in NC, VA etc. Our friends on Johns Island evacuated last Wednesday and stayed with friends in Jacksonville, FL then returned on Sunday. Their home was in good shape. Keeping all who have been impacted by Florence in our thoughts and prayers.

Best to all in the affected areas. We are thinking of you in California and we wish we could take the burden of some of your rain as we could really use it. We wish better days and safe recovery from a terrible disaster. Hopefully, the recovery will be fast and efficient. DM and DD

The remnants of Florence moved through here yesterday, leaving about 1'6" of rain in my 'hood. Family in the NC/VA are still dealing with more rain than I am. There was much more rain in other parts of MA, but around here concerns have shifted to a Natural Gas over-pressurization incident which may have some people without a gas supply for months - and Winter is coming. 48 miles of low pressure gas lines need to be replaced.

That was a disaster. I feel for the people who lost their homes and the so many in MA facing the oncoming winter. There is so much work ahead to restore power and update the lines I. Your area

My thoughts and prayers continue for those dealing with the aftermath of this devastating storm. God save and bless you ALL!

Yes Dennis, we now have the date late next month, place & time ! Looking forward to meeting Bob & Pat, also our 1st time at the restaurant chosen on HHI.

Nancy, so glad that you fared ok through the hurricane. Terrible situation for so many in NC, VA etc. Our friends on Johns Island evacuated last Wednesday and stayed with friends in Jacksonville, FL then returned on Sunday. Their home was in good shape. Keeping all who have been impacted by Florence in our thoughts and prayers.

Johns up by Charleston ? didn't think there would be evacs there, we had nothing here 1.5 hrs south of there, no rain, no wind. Whew, but oh so sad for our northern neighbors in SC & inland + so much damage from flooding in NC from beach to inland. Thanks for concern for all affected. FL was the ONLY place to go !

My. Charleston friend found sanctuary and safety in Atlanta. She is home and has some outside work to clean up, but all is well. Yippee!