wonder how a traditionalist might feel

Watch the master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N01vrLwAWiM

laird 1.jpg

That's so cool.

I dont know what you mean by traditionalist. Is that someone who used a hollowed out log? Or a flat wooden board with no fins? Or a with fins or a glass board? Long board, short board or foam? Traditional in surfing could mean someone has been doing it since last season.

Im trying to understand the physics. It appears the hydrofoil doesn't need a wave to propel the board. But looks like the direction of travel is with the waves. Need to explore this more. Unlikely I will ever try it as I can barely stay up for more than 30 seconds these days.

May need to get my more experienced surfing bro to explain this to me.

"I dont know what you mean by traditionalist. Is that someone who used a hollowed out log? Or a flat wooden board with no fins? Or a with fins or a glass board? Long board, short board or foam? Traditional in surfing could mean someone has been doing it since last season"

Point taken. :)

And how do we keep our balance? That I can tell you in one word: TRADITION!

For a short version of the physics of a foil board, look here.

I sort of remember my parents watching the movie. Don't think I've ever seen the whole thing but nice cultural reference.

As to the physics, I have no problem with that. The wing creates lift. Low pressure above the wing, high pressure below. Why planes fly and boats sail. What I was trying to figure out was what creates the forward momentum when you didn't have a breaking wave. It appears that the there is enough energy in small swell to drive the board forward. I'd love to try this at home but I expect I'm not going to get very far.

I sort of remember my parents watching the movie...

Thanks (sort of...) for the reminder how swiftly fly the years, one season following another laden with happiness and tears - particularly for those of us traditionalists who think the original Broadway Tevye (1964, 7 years before the movie) is the best.

A digression but I think an amusing story related to traditions in regard to rehearsals for Fiddler:

“What are you doing?” (director Jerome) Robbins demanded at one rehearsal as (Zero) Mostel touched the doorjamb of Tevye’s house and then brushed his fingers over his lips. Mostel offered the obvious answer: “I’m kissing the mezuza.” Robbins responded bluntly, “Don’t do it again.” But Mostel insisted that Tevye, like the Orthodox Jews with whom the actor had grown up, would never neglect to make the customary gesture of devotion that acknowledges the case of sacred parchment affixed to doorways of Jewish homes. Robbins bristled (and) demanded that Mostel stop. The actor relented. And then, when he walked through Tevye’s doorway once more, he crossed himself. He’d made — and won — his point. The mezuza kissing stayed in.

I had heard that Fiddler story.

Here’s another.
The last Tevye was actor Danny Burstein. (His father also played Tevye on Broadway.) When he was selecting the costumes, he picked out a pair of boots, tried them on, and they fit perfectly. Inside of each was written the name Herschel Bernardi, his father. Danny wore them and was nominated for a Tony for his performance of a leading role in a revival. It seems you actually can follow in your father’s footsteps.j