la saison des ouragans

cassidain

Senior Insider
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 17.48.19.png

saint-barth meteorological guru serge brin reminds that yesterday marked the beginning of the peak hurricane season, culminating during the first week of september and ending around the 21st of the month. for the moment, a high pressure system off the azores eliminates the possibility of any tropical system strengthening, but, toward the end of august, be on high alert for systems forming to the southwest of cape verde.

Many “locals” are pulling their boats out of the water. (The former tennis club near Grand Cul de Sac, heavily damaged by Irma, seems to have become a temporary boat yard.)

WOW! What a landmark date. (With Irma close by.) Thanks, Cass, for the reminder . . . but, I think it’s 23 years. With friends at dinner, we’ve raised Ti Punches to strength, resilence, & recovery, remembering that long day & night.

Today is also the "anniversary" of Irma hitting St Barts. September 5 is a bit of an inauspicious day for the island if Luis hit on the same day 22 years earlier. I admire the resiliency of the island's people for their recovery and I hope lightening doesn't strike thrice on the same day.

I agree 100%--the people of St Barths are resilient and hard working. Bravo St Barths! I am proud to count so many as my friends and extended family.

I remember coming to the island 3 years after Luis (1998) and not seeing any trace of that, only hearing how bad it was. It was remarkable effort and results considering it was in 90s.

TD #9 now has a name: Isaac. Saint-Barth is at the extreme north of the projected cone at this point. À suivre de près.

205358_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png