Don't touch the Sargassum

andynap

Senior Insider
I know this is a little obvious like don't play with fire but look here- http://www.faxinfo.fr/?p=28924

[h=3]Sargasses: watch out for skin reactions![/h][FONT=&quot]Post on: Jul 19, 2018

[/FONT]

19-07-18-boutons-sargasse-1000x600.jpg

Since the massive arrival of sargasses, people have been complaining about smell, tingling in the mouth, etc. Some attribute their headache to breathing that smell, but also to skin problems. Generally, in the latter case, it concerns people who will bathe in Sargassum.

People with allergies or who have a respiratory problem at the base see this one accentuated. There is more seasonal allergic rhinitis - symptoms such as crying eyes or sneezing - and sometimes skin conditions with forms of allergic reactions. Clearly, avoid swimming near sargasses! _AF
photo: Allergic reaction of a child last Sunday in contact with Sargassu

I had a full blown reaction to sargasso while in Mexico. Cortisone shots didn’t work, and finally had to fly home. I am very allergic to the dead/ rotten sargasso. Doctor explained that it carries bacteria as it decays. Best thing is to wash immediately, antihistamine and stay in air conditioning for a day.

I just wanted to thank Andy and everyone else commenting on the sargassum for the warning. I would definitely be the one looking like those unfortunate people in the photos and if cortisone does not work, I would be in big trouble with my allergies, too. It seems as though this issue is a Caribbean-wide problem, based on the maps someone posted for us previously, and it does not seem that there is very much written about this in any of the Caribbean sites/tripadvisor, etc. One of the things that I always think about when traveling is taking into account some of the health issues one might find and you really have to dig around to even get that "on the ground" information. So I appreciate the updated reports and warnings, so we can avoid possible problems. (Also, I am forever grateful for the Mosquito Milk posts from the past, as that is a very important part of my travel suitcase all over the world. I have not found anything better and have turned all of my friends on to this great product for those of us who are the love objects of many insects...:) ) Just fyi, Mosquito Milk in America is called Net Effect and is finally available on Amazon: Net Effect Roll On Insect Repellent

Yes that’s for rashes but the article mentions breathing problems from the smell.

Yes there are breathing problems as even breathing through your mouth only you can smell and gag on the oder. thankfully not very bad on the beaches but in the cove just leading up to columbier there was a ton of it and it was awful. Made you pick up the pace at the end of that hike quite a bit!! thankfully columbier was free of the stuff.