SXM airport....any current, first-hand information

We traveled via SXM to SBH last January 2018 which was a disaster, and returned through the same the 3rd week of February which was not very much better (save for the Quonset hut waiting room that had been erected in the 4 weeks of our stay.) Does anyone know if things have dramatically improved in SXM's operation since, and if there is any reason to believe that January 2019 will be significantly improved. If you have knowledge on the matter kindly advise the date of your reporting!

Thanks!

This is the latest info I have seen so I'd say January 2019 will be pretty much the same as today, same tents...(they won't be past tents yet!)

JULIANA AIRPORT: CONSTRUCTION OF NEW TERMINAL TO START IN OCTOBER

The new Juliana Airport terminal will be fully operational by early2020, says the management of the airport, which detailed the schedule of work for the Parliament of Sint Maarten.
The demolition of the interior of the terminal and the removal of all debris began at the end of February and was completed by late May.Additional work to waterproof the roof started in March, and was completed by the end of June. Immediately after that, mold removal began, which should take another month.
Phase 2 of the project comprises the reconstruction of the terminal, forwhich the plans and design have already been approved. This work willbegin next October, as announced by the direction of the airport, withhopes to gradually migrate the various services inside the terminal asof the third quarter of 2019.
The new terminal will be more hurricane resistant: its roof is expectedto withstand wind speeds of 300 km/hour (185 mph). The building willalso be less energy intensive.
A dedicated space reserved for the immigration of American passengers is planned, which means that American travelers can clear immigration at Juliana Airport before boarding planes for the US.

SLS, I don't know anything about SXM other than what posted above to your question & reading online reports. When you went to SBH, you were in the earlier stages of fix up @ SXM. I can only hope when we go via SXM to SBH next May that what we find is improved. You didn't say where you fly from so maybe SJU would work for you, then Tradewind as we did in May/June this year.

We traveled via SXM to SBH last January 2018 which was a disaster, and returned through the same the 3rd week of February which was not very much better (save for the Quonset hut waiting room that had been erected in the 4 weeks of our stay.) Does anyone know if things have dramatically improved in SXM's operation since, and if there is any reason to believe that January 2019 will be significantly improved. If you have knowledge on the matter kindly advise the date of your reporting!

Thanks!

We have been through SXM 3 times since Irma. The first was in November and likely similar to your January experience. In late April we flew Jet Blue from JFK--one of us in on monday, the other on wednesday, and were literally into airport and out--on SBC plane in air--in less than 45 minutes. On our return, also on a monday, the check in area was a bit more crowded but we didn't wait too long in the departure tent before our flight left on time. All in all it was pretty painless considering the overall situation.

We just arrived home last night after a beautiful week on sbh and am sad to report that this time, traveling United (which currently only flies on saturdays in and out of EWR), was a totally different experience. I think flying in and out on summer saturdays contributed to the experience. On the way down, landing and the transfer process didn't take long, the departure tent was crowded but manageable and we waited a few hours for our SBC connection due to availability of flights. We fortunately found a table next to the bar and watched the soccer so all was fine. SBC was on time and smooth as always.

On the way back this past Saturday, it was a bad situation. We arrived to SXM on 11:30 SBC flight by 11:40, were checked in and through security by 12:15 which was fine for a 1:30 flight, but once in the departure tent it was very crowded and very hot--apparently when there are more people than there are seats the a/c doesn't work too well. They have many fans but it's still hot. That wasn't as difficult as the lack of seating and over crowding. We managed to stand and wait until boarding and were fortunate (or so we thought) to be in the first group to board, only to get to the plane by bus and be told there was a maintenance issue so were taken back to the tent. United told us every 15 minutes for the rest of the afternoon that they "did not yet have an update" until at 5pm--4 hours later--the flight was cancelled. In those 4 hours of mostly standing (for lack of seats) the tent continued to overfill with people, and at one point got so overcrowded with bodies within inches of one another, extremely hot, tired and with almost no where move, it became a security hazard. Granted, they didn't plan on having an entire (full) plane of extra people waiting in the tent all afternoon but it was beyond uncomfortable for many, especially elderly and families with small children. For lack of anywhere to even stand, our friend ended up going to the corner where the extra wheelchairs are stored and unfolded one to sit down. After being taken to Simpson Bay for the night, and dinner at Vesna Taverna (thank you Kevin for the recommendation!) we found ourselves back at SXM yesterday morning in time for the game. It was much less crowded and less hot, and we enjoyed as much of the game as possible before our flight left on time.
My advice: if traveling through sxm, try to do so during the week. If on a weekend, sunday preferable to saturday. If saturday, be prepared for crowds! We will be through again in November on saturdays (again due to United EWR-SXM schedule) and will keep fingers crossed! The workers at SXM are helpful and really doing their best. Hope this helps.

thanks for the updates!
I'm flying via SXM next week one way with Winair and one way with SBC. I will update everyone on the situation afterwards. Fingers crossed!

Thanks!
Until there is a new terminal I’m bagging our trip for 2019. I wasn’t thrilled with Tradewind going home so that’s not an option. We can wait. No big deal.

We just traveled through SXM coming and going to SBH in the past weeks (returned yesterday). And remarkably, they are making this setup work pretty well considering the situation that the overall airport is torn to bits. Construction is moving along, and really, with some time to transit through the airport, it was pretty workable. Silly that you have to take a bus to go 50 feet from the terminal to the jet, but other than that, it was totally workable and really no less hassle than the "normal" airport was in the past.

We just traveled through SXM coming and going to SBH in the past weeks (returned yesterday). And remarkably, they are making this setup work pretty well considering the situation that the overall airport is torn to bits. Construction is moving along, and really, with some time to transit through the airport, it was pretty workable. Silly that you have to take a bus to go 50 feet from the terminal to the jet, but other than that, it was totally workable and really no less hassle than the "normal" airport was in the past.

With your departure on Monday, curious if your arrival was also a weekday? Confirms our experience of traveling in and out of sxm during the week vs weekend. Weekday transit was very smooth and weekend not ; )

Thanks for all of your replies.FYI we have always flown non-stop BOS to SXM, until last year when that service was terminated and routed through JFK as ridership to SXM was also destroyed due to Irma.Yesterday, Jet Blue published their Spring schedule and just as last year that non-stop service is no longer available. I conclude from Jet Blue’s schedule that travel through SXM will not return to anything”normal” until such time that SXM-at-large is restored.Based on our observation from last year’s stop-over that could easily be a decade or longer until such time the French/Dutch straighten out the island.We are traveling via SJU using Tradewind to SBH.

Leaving Sunday they have rerouted you to the outside of the old terminal. No longer do you just go between tents. First claim bags if you need to. If not show your SBH Boarding pass and your Departing flight. Then walk outside that tent to near the entrance of the old airport just in front of where you used to come down the steps to board the bus to SBC and WA. Keep walking through the old parking lot to the new departure entrance. For some reason they now have everyone going through the same entrance not anything separate for Transpassage. Then it’s the same thing if you have no bags to Check go straight to Security then another person checks BP and Passport. Then go to your gate. Was extremely busy between 1:30 and 2:30 on Sunday. Could not find seats and getting to gate itself was hard because both Delta, West Jet and United were all boarding along with the SBC, Insel and WA. More walking and more crowded than during Bucket.

This information is really interesting; I was checking flights from SAN to SXM but now I am sort of tempted to try SJU and Tradewinds. Our problem is that we either fly the red eye on Delta through ATL and take Winair (or SBC?) from SXM to SBH as in former days, or stay overnight in SJU which is not really appealing. I am pretty much on a fence about that. (I got bitten up years ago in SJU from noseeums..was not pleasant, and I am guessing an overnight in SJU is not a walk in the park and a lot of dragging bags around. As some of you know, carry on only has never been an option with me!!!) In any case, I am really envious of all of you who can get down in one day :blush-smile:! If I could avoid an overnight, I'd head directly for the Tradewinds Aviation terminal in SJU for sure! If anyone has clever ideas for those of us coming from the West Coast, please comment. Thank you!

When we travel down to St. Barth next April, we’ll be flying very differently to get to the island (as most of you are, obviously). Looking at various options and keeping cost in mind we’ve opted for the following combo of flights:

4/16: EWR - SJU: 8:25 pm arriving 12:20 am (The flight was dirt cheap but we are spending the night in SJU - not thrilled - BUT next is the good news!)...

4/17: SJU - SBH: 6:45 am Tradewind flight getting us on island at 7:52 am!! The good news!? A full first day on St. Barth - that’s exciting!! We will certainly be bleary eyed but SB Properties will arrange for us to go to Le Barthelemy for breakfast and use of beach / poolside lounges for the morning. It’s a client perk they offer...which we pay for but a great way to begin the trip! We will hopefully get early villa check in also as the villa is not being occupied for a few days prior to our arrival.

4/27: Winair to SXM, then AA flight to JFK. Flying in and out of EWR has gotten ridiculous price-wise and was able to snag 2 business class seats on AA for a song! We will get car service back home. So all ok, albeit quite different from our norm. We cannot wait to get back!!

We fly AA almost all of the time from JFK, but in the past, they have discontinued the SXM/JFK non-stop about April 15, after which they route you through MIA. Unfortunately, they usually don't notify you until 30 days or so before your flight. Next year could be different, but you should check the website every week or so. Traveling through MIA on an international flight is not so wonderful.

Phil

Phil, thank you for the heads up on the AA return flight to JFK. I’ll certainly keep my eye on that.

Agree with Phil, check the flights weekly & your seats too, not only AA fliers but everyone, regardless of your routing. We know how sneaky the airlines are ! Also agree with Phil about MIA, having flown there in June from SAV to get to Antigua, MIA is a monster of an airport. And the return to go thru all entailed with Immigration. Going thru San Juan makes it so much easier !

getting here is always half the fun! the lack of the JFK-SXM flight is a killer for a lot of us, that was my route at least 5 times a year for the past 25 years, now its AA to Philly via AJU or using Jet Blue from JFK.. luckily there are options...