SXM airport....any current, first-hand information

Reading the posts again, I think the most recent version of SXM, not including the tent/s, spoiled us SBH lovers by having the jetways, bigger rest rooms, tho floor is always wet in it, the shops, bar/food places, air conditioning. When we 1st started our treks 20+ years ago, I think time 1 we may have actually checked luggage ? Had to go thru that certain door if doing carry on to get to Winair, double hit of heat from walking down the stairs from the plane, across the tarmac, finding that door & the swarms of people in a line, more like a conga line...all quite charming. No quonset hut building like old St Thomas Harry S. Truman Airport in the '60's had. But with the existing tent etc, I do feel everyone's pain, will in May maybe ?

We flew in and back on a weekday (Tuesday) into SXM and it was a breeze. On our trip down our SB Commuter flight was supposed to take off at 3:15 but everyone was there so they whisked us through quickly and we were in the air by 2:15PM. On the return trip (we split our trip this year between SBH and Anguilla) we arrived by Ferry in Marigot and took a taxi, very short lines in Delta departures and since we were "comfort" we were placed in a different line from "main cabin", security screen took maybe 5 minutes and we were in the waiting area with 2 hours to spare.....

We flew in and back on a weekday (Tuesday) into SXM and it was a breeze. On our trip down our SB Commuter flight was supposed to take off at 3:15 but everyone was there so they whisked us through quickly and we were in the air by 2:15PM. On the return trip (we split our trip this year between SBH and Anguilla) we arrived by Ferry in Marigot and took a taxi, very short lines in Delta departures and since we were "comfort" we were placed in a different line from "main cabin", security screen took maybe 5 minutes and we were in the waiting area with 2 hours to spare.....
I'm not familiar with the term "comfort". What does it mean?

I just went thru the tent experience at SXM on a weekend (due to Westjet only flying on Sundays). Obviously local authorities are doing best they can considering everything, combined with the pace the Caribbean is known for.

Observations:
- transit procedure is easy enough, there are agents on the transfer buses to guide. On way to SBH it was 10 minutes from deboarding to Winair gate.
- needing to pick up luggage at SXM to check in on the way home is a schlep outside in the hot sun
- the staff at the counters are slow, so budget a lot of connection time on the way back home
- lines can be long, there is not enough space in the "check in area" for all the people and their luggage
- the waiting area in the tent does not have enough seating if there are 2 or more US/Canada/European flights. There were Westjet, Delta and Jetblue flights boarding at the same time and lots of people were standing. It also got very hot in there and you are trapped in there (God forbid there are delays).
- I think SATURDAYS would be the worst, as thats when United and Spirit join the Delta, Jetblue and American flights. I'm sure that is peak frustration day.

taken all this, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND (if possible) to:
a. travel midweek
b. try to avoid departure with the KLM/Air France/Air Caraibe jumbos
c. pack a lot of patience and a fan
d. don't check luggage so you can do online check in, print boarding pass and go transit on way back home.

Toughen up boys and girls...honestly. You'll make it. Went to SBH via SXM in November 2017. It was not a good experience in the backside of the luggage area and the tents, but it also wasn't that bad that it would stop us from future travel to SBH. Next trip is this December. Can't wait.

Toughen up boys and girls...honestly. You'll make it. Went to SBH via SXM in November 2017. It was not a good experience in the backside of the luggage area and the tents, but it also wasn't that bad that it would stop us from future travel to SBH. Next trip is this December. Can't wait.

Love it! Toughen up is right!

Love it! Toughen up is right!

We have connected through SXM a few times since Irma and will again in November. Fortunately we are able and gladly do "toughen up" but not everyone can--why I shared (above) our recent weekend return experience as heads up for anyone traveling through who might have trouble with long periods of standing, excessive heat and/or traveling with small children or infants. Everyone at SXM is generally doing their best and hopefully limited operations will move back into the terminal before high season begins as planned.