Cocktails -- Thursday, July 12

We too have attended a party & dinner where most people didn't know each other, in Paris, at Jim Haines home. Anyone else been there ? He's still doing his Sunday dinners ! It was fun & great memory of one of our Paris trips.

Wendy and Dennis,

Thanks for the delightful party last night. It was a pleasure to reconnect and discover so many common interests in experiences. We look forward to meeting your godson at Cal. The team is a welcoming group, encouraging and not competing with each other except in a healthy way. Coach Durden and his wife Cathy are
terrific and the parent and alum group famous for their involvement.

Thanks again for hosting last night's stellar party.

Hope to see you soon! Bill and Nancy

Dennis, made a toast to all Forum-ers gathering while out to dinner last nite. Loved seeing the pix of all in attendance + the spread...great event sadly missed.

Looks like a fabulous gathering for sure! The pictures are lovely and it's great to see everyone smiling and oh so happy - a great group of folks. Cafe Gloriette did a nice job catering too! Thanks, as always, for sharing the photos with those of us who are pining to be there!

Thank you! It was a great gathering . . . loud conversation & laughter from beginning to end. It’s particularly nice that you make note of the great food . . . it was dinner for many instead of light hors d’oeuvr! Cafe Gloriette is taking off very nicely! Wish that you could have been with us this time (there’ll be another occasion!).

Hello to all on the Forum! I have been trying to keep up with what has been going on but had lost my password; thanks to our Moderator, I have a new one and can post! After a pretty long absence, I was motivated by this actual thread to comment, as it seems to address the very essence of why many of us have been on this site over many years. I was also very sad to not make this great "meet up"...what a wonderful way to reconnect and keep up. Although we all do not know each other from personal, face to face experience, I feel as though so many of you have become both friends and terrific sources of information, but even more, our members are interesting, talented, and educated people who really teach us a lot about many things, not just SBH. Davesdad and I had high hopes of coming down, even though our beloved Le Guanahani is not back yet, but it wasn't in the cards this year with my Mom's passing and our dog ate my vacation budget with emergency surgery...our hope is next year in April, when Le Guanahani is back! I know GMP62 from a previous trip and I hope we can meet up again when you are there next April, too! (I think you also owe me a visit in San Diego, girlfriend..!) I have corresponded with KevinS, my Veuve hero, and hope I am on island again with you and Kate at some future time. You all know that if you are in the San Diego area, we can also have a "meet up" off island...I have rosé wine, y'all..!!! I do want you to know that I have been doing my part from afar to keep up the SBH economy: did you know that some of your favorite stores will send you things?? I have been ordering from Pati de St Barth, and the exquisite Vanita Rosa on line, and both were fabulous experiences and everything came perfectly. If you are a Ligne St Barth fanatic, they will send, but you can also purchase their line through beautyhabit.com so you don't have withdrawl symptoms. (OK, you pay a little more, but it keeps you until you get back to the island.) My shopping budget was dedicated to SBH brands. I even got a personal letter from Valérie Bourdin of Vanita Rosa, my fashion idol (!!!) who is keeping the art of lace in France alive with her amazing creations. I heard they moved from the little pink store down to the main street and I hope to visit soon..It was my way of giving back along with some contributions. I just want to say thank you to all of you who write such wonderful posts, and especially Ellen, whose eloquence is always a happy discovery when I tune in. I really have reflected upon what is gone on the island and what is now, and it is a little like starting over, rediscovery and renewal. Shedding a few tears about what has disappeared, I can say that I look forward to Santa Fe's new direction, although losing Manu was a great loss for Davesdad and me. And the little café in the alley near Roberto Cavalli store? I think Franck ran it? It is nice to know that La Gloriette has been reincarnated from what it was as we loved Albert's little resto on the beach. L'Esprit is still there, which is my personal favorite, so I know that will be such a great experience to come back. And Nikki Beach is still Nikki..best place to spend Sunday lunch! There, I feel better already :) Last but not least, a big hug and shout out to our dear Amy and Phil, who are the rock (and roll) of the website. I wish you all good health and many returns to this 9.653 mi² island of our dreams. Amazing how a little tiny spot in the ocean can engender so much love...:cool: I wish a fast recovery and many good things for all of the people who have had to undergo such a complete disruption to the life they knew before the hurricanes. I really do sympathize as our California fires are starting again, and we never know when we have to run...Love from Davesmom and Davesdad

Such a lovely positive post. Thank you for the kind words. Your love of this island shines throughout.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your Mom and send you hugs. Glad to read that your furry friend pulled through his procedure.

The spirit on the island has been strong. After today's World Cup victory, the people are even stronger!

Great to have you back at the Forum, davesmom . . . your talent for bringing smiles to the faces of many reading here is much appreciated and has been missed!

Great to have you back at the Forum, davesmom . . . your talent for bringing smiles to the faces of many reading here is much appreciated and has been missed!
Thank you so much, cec1 and Amy and Phil...you are wonderful mainstays of this very dear site and I hope we all get to do a meet up at some point! I was with some friends tonight who have a home on Anguilla and just returned to San Diego and they say that things on Anguilla are doing pretty well; the British government and private funds have been very instrumental in providing them a new and improved infrastructure which they feel that was a blessing in disguise to their island. (They also love SBH!) So I hope that all of the hard work that is going on on SBH will be a blessing as well when it is all finished and that the residents and guests will have a more reliable infrastructure that will be a lasting tribute to what SBH people have been through. It is a bit of a silver lining, but hearing it from people who love these areas and are committed to them makes me think that although the destruction was great, the results will be greater for everyone. Bon courage, mes amis...we are all pulling for our beautiful island.

Gina, how great to see you back online again! I think of you often. Gary and I send our heartfelt condolences to you and your family in the loss of your Mom...we are so very sorry.
On a lighter note, it’s wonderful news that you will be returning to St. Barth next April also!!! We will be there from April 17th to 27th so hopefully we will have some dates overlapping. If the G happens not to be open by then, why not stay at Le Barthelemy or Le Sereno?! I know you’re a G gal, but it’s something to consider as an alternate if need be. Our friends who also stay at the G got an email just today saying they will have more info about their existing reservation by the end of July. They’ve paid in full already for their 10 day stay, so it’s a particularly frustrating and painful for them. One of these days we will have to get out to San Diego for a visit with you guys - it’d be really lovely! Give Davesdad our very best, too. Be well and glad you’re back!!

Gayle

Dennis....ever the gentleman. I am sure that the gathering was a huge success! I so enjoyed meeting you a few years ago at your lovely villa with Ellen and Rosemond. I wish we could have attended this gathering, but were not on island this year. I applaud your positive post(s). I met you all through this most welcoming forum and I treasure the helpful info and friendships that have been made, whether they be in person or on line.

Great photos, especially the one of Dennis and Wendy together.
Nice group.
From my experience no one does it better than my friend Dennis Carlton....love you, Buddy.

It is wonderful to hear from you! Thank you for your kind comment about my Mom. I am really hoping we can come back to the G and we would definitely overlap your dates..lots of playtime together during Davesdad's birthday week! They had great packages in the past, so I hope they continue to have them. Not sure what Le S or Le B would have which would be similar. Le G has a fab spa, too. I really can't imagine being anywhere else but I look forward to hearing more about the progress being made on Grand Cul de Sac. I really love those people who have been at the G since we started going and in some ways, it is like going to visit family when you go back. The only thing is, it is quite a way from town, and I have never quite gotten past the driving the hills. Each time I swear I am going to drive to Gustavia but then I made DD do all the driving. We have really curvy streets here and some very steep ones, but they are not quite as narrow. I'm always afraid I will hit the cars on the side of the streets in St. Jean. I wouldn't even mind giving ER a try, but I assume they will not be ready for prime time for awhile, having seen their very sad state. But on the other hand, it sounds like they are taking the opportunity to redo. Looks like they are losing Top of the Rock, which had a lovely view. Le G is a bit more isolated/private, also, but I used to like Tom's Beach restaurant (not sure of the latest incarnation). Also, I saw this really cool villa on Peg's site (Villa WV VDA) which I actually think I had visited a few visits ago as I think my friends stayed in it. Wow, it was amazing with a perfect view of ER and Nikki. Somehow, I think DD might consider it just a little TOO close to shopping..LOL!! I could walk to St. Jean..very dangerous for the credit card for sure. I really would love to host a "meet up" at that villa!! The parking was tricky, though. That is a pretty expensive villa and has 3 bedrooms, which I really wouldn't need unless we shared it with friends, but in some ways, I like to come with just the 2 of us. (The time I brought friends was not my favorite trip..wrong friends!) Honestly, I really love the services of a hotel, so I will keep hoping Le Guanahani comes back better than ever. I will have my travel agent check with the hotel to see what is going on. I am excited for your friends to come to Le Guanahani and would not worry about them being shut out. We will have to do another boat trip together for sure! And I really do expect you to come to San Diego: PM me!
...bring the golf clubs for sure!! xxoo from DD and moi[h=1][/h]

Leave it to Rosie to capture the happiness of the party-goers. Super photo, Rosie! Congratulations on a successful gathering, Dennis and Wendy.

What a wonderful idea! I wish Dan and I were there to meet everyone. We will be back in late March 2019. Hope we can meet sbonliners then!