SBCommuter Rocks!

marybeth

Senior Insider
Just rebooked our flights cancelled last year post Irma. Could not have been easier. Just emailed with our US flight info and received an email reply (on Sunday) confirming with tix attached. Took less than 10 minutes.

We've never flown SBC, this year Tradewind, other 20 yrs Winair. So now that tix done for SAV, CLT, SXM r/t, what to do ? Winair more psgrs, 2 pilots, more $ or close, SBC, less $, fewer seats, 1 pilot. Not always about the $. Have read good things on the forum about SBC. Thoughts ? Thanks !

We have friends who have a family rule- two pilots two engines only. For us we prefer SBC over WinAir but we now use Tradewind thru SJU.

We have friends who have a family rule- two pilots two engines only. For us we prefer SBC over WinAir but we now use Tradewind thru SJU.

Interesting to see that frequent travelers don't always look for the best prices, but consider safety too.

Winair
Aircraft type: De Havilland Twin Otter - Twin engine turbo prop
Pilots: 2
Regulating authority: CMCAA (St. Maarten Civil Aviation Authority) - SINT MAARTEN
Hub: SXM

St Barth Commuter
Aircraft type: Cessna Caravan - Single engine turbo prop
Pilot: 1 (no exception, even on private charters)
Regulating authority: DGAC (Direction Générale de l'Aviation Civile), EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) - FRANCE
Hub: SBH

Tradewind Aviation
Aircraft type: Pilatus PC 12 - Single engine turbo prop
Pilots: 2
Regulating authority: FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) - USA
Hub: SJU

Air Safety is definitely about the number of engines (particularly when the flight is 99% over water), number of pilots (what if the Captain gets a heart attack during flight?), but also about the regulating authority and their standards. There is more involved, such as aircraft maintenance programs, fleet age, crew training (SBH is a special airport), ....

About flying over water on a single engine aircraft:

Operators have to demonstrate to the authority that in case of engine failure, the airplane will be able to "glide" without engine to the nearest land. "Altitude" is often the trade off: the higher the airplane, the longer the gliding distance. This is particularly important when considering single-engine between St Barth and San Juan, where the stretch of water is close to 90 miles without any land in between (Virgin islands to St. Maarten). As opposed to SXM SBH, where it is only 10 miles.

Some agencies, such as ARG/US and Wyvern, also use their own safety directives to assess air operators.

More info: safety standards.

Thank you very much for informative description between the 3-airlines. Yes, it can become a difficult decision which to choose. For me, I will still choose SBC, as my first choice, even though it was described as the least safe. I consider, still probably mathematically safer than traveling the Washington DC beltway everyday in my truck or certainly even more safer than driving around St. Barts. Let the games begin.

I believe all 3 airlines are safe and present excellent records.

SBC was not described as the "least safe"....although they fly single-pilot / single-engine, they have a new fleet, excellent maintenance, well-trained pilots who are based in SBH (some are locals - born on the island); and DGAC/EASA as their regulating authority (which is very strict and makes regular audits on the airline). Also, they only fly 10 miles over water when they come from SXM....

It's really about interpretation and everyone's preference.

:)