Bringing Dog to St. Barts

mkdmld

I was wondering if someone could answer specific questions as to what is required to bring a dog to St. Barts? I've seen and heard various information and want to confirm what is correct.

The dog will be in cabin with us from the U.S. via San Juan and then flying to St. Barts from San Juan. The dog is current on vaccinations including rabies. She received a one year rabies shot in the past week and still had two months left on her previous three year rabies vaccination. Is the health form supposed to be from the USDA and examined by an accredited USDA veterinarian and then have the USDA health form certified by the USDA?

Or is a complete health record from a licensed veterinarian sufficient?

Thank you,

Martin
mkdmld@aol.com

I bring my guy to SBH via SJU, from Canada (however US requirements are similar so you should double check obviously).

from Canada the requirements are:

- Microchip and 1 year rabies required (no other shots mandatory, however since its Caribbean, your own vet may recommend other vaccines). Totally ridiculous is that Puerto Rico mandates the 1 year vaccine, even though 99% of vets in Canada and the USA administer the 3 year vaccines. NOTE: the rabies vaccine MUST be given after the microchip is inserted.

- Your vet completes the CFIA (USDA equivilent) International Health Certificate (must be completed within 5 days of travel as per St Barts rule, PR itself requires 30 days)

- you take the Certificate to CFIA and they stamp it. The Federal Agency does NOT inspect the animal.

- book space on airline to SJU for the animal, do this early as airlines limit number of cabin pets. After you book, DOUBLE CHECK 48 hours prior to travel that the airline has actually added your dog. Delta Airlines has screwed up twice for me and forgot to add my dog even after booking him 2 months prior. American Airlines has always been good.

NOTES:
- I find American Airlines always checks dog paperwork at check in, Delta Airlines has never asked (in my experiences).
- St Barts Customs have NEVER looked at the paperwork for my dog or even asked about him. You should still be prepared.
- San Juan Customs ALWAYS inspects the dog and paperwork very closely upon arrival from St Barts.
- Tradewinds is AWESOME when it comes to pet in cabin, they sit in your lap.

While I am a huge dog lover, please ask the surrounding people if they have allergies. I can't sit near anyone with certain breeds of dogs or most cats. Even in 1st class. Just an idea.

I’m having the same issue. It seems that there is no straight forward answer. On the Aphis pet travel website, it specifically lists the requirements to bring your pet to basically every country, yet St Barth is not on the list. France is, and so it St Martin. But who knows if it’s the same requirements.

I was wondering if someone could answer specific questions as to what is required to bring a dog to St. Barts? I've seen and heard various information and want to confirm what is correct.

The dog will be in cabin with us from the U.S. via San Juan and then flying to St. Barts from San Juan. The dog is current on vaccinations including rabies. She received a one year rabies shot in the past week and still had two months left on her previous three year rabies vaccination. Is the health form supposed to be from the USDA and examined by an accredited USDA veterinarian and then have the USDA health form certified by the USDA?

Or is a complete health record from a licensed veterinarian sufficient?

Thank you,

Martin
mkdmld@aol.com