May21-31 Trip Report

pghfred

SBH Member
Another wonderful trip to St. Barts. Travel using JetBlue and St Barth Commuter was excellent. St Barth Commuter recognized that they had all their passengers and brought us to the island an hour earlier than scheduled.

After seeing so much remaining destruction from Irma, it was heartening to hear many good stories from residents and to see all the rebuilding.

We visited most of the beaches during our stay. Sargassum was present but didn't spoil beach time. It was good to see a crew planting at Governeur as part of the dune restoration project. Snorkeling among hundreds of juvenile reef fish at Shell Beach was fun. Colombier is still our favorite beach.

Driving around the island was as challenging as ever. With winding, hilly roads with rock wall shoulders, it is hard to understand the impatience of some drivers and the apparent death wishes of so many scooter riders.

Eating is always a highlight of St Barts's vacations. Most mornings started with something buttery from La Petite Colombe. We returned to some of our favorite restaurants: Eddy's, Les Bananiers, Black Ginger, and La Creperie. We tried some new places for us: L'ardoise and Le Grain de Sel. The lobster and shrimp tagliatelle at La langouste caused this restaurant to move to the top of our favorites list.

We were fortunate to be able to stay at La Baleine again. Rosita has made the villa as beautiful as ever and continues to improve it. The new sound system allowed us to alternate between blues and doo wop while relaxing by the pool. We are not sure what we enjoyed most, watching new arrivals approaching the airport while having croissants and coffee in the morning, or seeing the boats returning to the harbor while having a glass of wine and some cheese before dinner. It is always a pleasure renting a villa from Rosita.

We will have many wonderful memories from this trip. Until next time...

Fred..a super report about your stay at La Baleine. We are regulars at Langouste now. Nice meeting you.

La Baleine is a wonderful villa and I'm lucky to have stayed there.

The views are amazing and the hostess is an angel.

ahhh...Baleine...my favorite place on the planet. hope my rosé float is still there when I return in november :blush-smile:

Sounds like a wonderful trip Fred. We too will be in one of Rosita's Villas, Les Basses, in Mid-August, and My in Laws will be there in about 2 hours for a week, so we will get first hand info on the Villa and surroundings. We can't wait. Thanks for the info on a couple of the new restaurants, we will be sure to visit.