Bottle limit for luggage

SZ484

SBH Member
I cannot seem to remember if we are allowed 2 or 3 bottles to take back in checked luggage by way of St. Barts to SXM and into USA. I know there is a limit and we want to make sure we can get as many of our favorite rums. Also, is it the case for alcohol only? Or can you pack the alcohol bottle limit and then olive oil etc as well.

Thanks in advance

I believe the limit is 1 liter of alcohol per person duty free. We've always brought 3-4 times that, made sure we declared everything, and figured we'd pay the duty on the excess. Having flavored rhums from the island would easily be worth the extra cost. Luggage over weight charges and breakage has been more of a concern. Four years in a row and haven't had any problems.

Technically it is 1 liter duty free per person over 21and they are touchy above 140 proof. There is really no specified limit as long as it is for personal use. More than one liter per person is supposed to be declared and duty and revenue tax paid. Many people bring more than one bottle per person undeclared but that is up to your risk tolerance. According to others we have spoken with, once you get on their ‘bad’ list, you will always receive special attention on every future trip.

I hope I am not jinxing myself by posting this.
We always bring lots of rhum vanille back in our luggage. Only 2x have we brought wine. A few years back, between the 2 of us we brought 8 bottles of rum and 1 wine. We always wrap in bubble wrap and a very large zip lock for each bottle. No leaks. As far as declaring and paying taxes, I read that anything made on the island you do not have to pay taxes on.
This is all I want to elaborate on as I fear for the future! ��

Also, as I recall, the amounts for private consumption (above the duty-free limit) and duties depend on the liquor laws of the state one enters the US in.