All I Wanna Do

KevinS

Senior Insider
On this trip I haven’t been writing as much as I usually do. Sorry, sometimes life just gets in the way...

I was up late this morning. It was almost 06:00 before I rolled out of bed. The day was already bright and alive by the time that I made it to the pool terrace.

It’s Fête du Travail/May Day/Labor Day here. Much will be closed today, but I’m used to that and plan ahead.

Today is our last full day, and I’ve had to put some thought into it. As much as Sheryl Crow sings “All I wanna do is have some fun”, there’s also work to be done. We store a few things here, so they need to be cleaned, packed, and moved to the storage area. And then there’s the packing for the trip home. One of us is in carryon, and believe it or not, it’s not me. I’m about ready to cut back to 3 shirts, 2 shorts, 3 undies, and a bottle of Woolite though - plus what we store here.

Lunch will be at La Langouste, which has been a frequent dining place on this trip. La Langouste somehow fell off our radar. It was an old friend, we never had a problem there, but it somehow slipped away. We returned last week to find it as good as ever, and that we knew the entire front of the house staff from other restaurants (and more importantly, they knew us.). Getting away from their Langouste focus, if you like a nice warm Leek Soup, they have a winner.

Dinner tonight, our last dinner, will be at Le Repaire. Other choices are available, but instead of going upscale I’m choosing the “comfortable shoes” option. I may even get in a bit of the Film Festival opening night on the Quay. And if you like a nice Lobster Bisque, order it here, not at La Langouste.

Getting back to Ms. Crow, “I like a good [champagne] buzz early in the morning”. I was at Boulangerie Choisy at 06:30, for Pain au Chocolate and a “maybe later” Sandwich Jambon Fromage. Sitting on the pool terrace with “un coupe” and a still-melty Pain au Chocolate, I’m very much enjoying the solitude, the birds, the view, and an early morning champagne buzz.

Soon it will be time for me to stop liming (a Caribbean term) and get to work. Yesterday we were blessed with a dozen local farm-fresh eggs and a bowl of local tomatoes and peppers. Sleeping Beauty will be up soon, and it’s time for breakfast mise en place. I’ll make her and her dental issue the softest scrambled eggs that I can. For me, something a bit more interesting. I’m thinking veggie and cheese omelette, maybe with a pepper with a little zip in it.

I’m moving to one of the hammocks as soon as the mise en place is done. Sleeping Beauty will wake me when it’s time to cook.

We rediscovered La Langouste on our recent trip also.. one of our best dinners...back on our list...

Thanks again Kevin for taking the time writing about your time in St. Barth - it is appreciated.

Annabelle and I have converted to "carryon-only" and would have a tough time going back especially with the constant long waits at the luggage carousel at the Toronto airport.

Safe travels

With breakfast behind me, me and my 1L Evian bottle (hydrate, hydrate, hydrate) are now headed to the hammock for a pre-shower nap.

Sounds like a prefect last day. Thanks for sharing your stay with us, enjoyed all the posts. Safe travels home.

We headed straight to La Langouste for grilled lobster on Sunday night. Always on our rotation. I was disappointed not to see our favorite welcoming committee "Benjamin". I was informed he is in France recovering from a medical situation. The lobster was delicious
La Langouste Grilled Lobster 3-29-18.jpg

Kevikins, you have the perfect cure for the packing day blues. By now you should be home safe and sound...at least that's what I prayed for.

Thanks for all the posts, Kevin; we all enjoyed relaxing vicariously with you and are grateful for your tips! Hope your trip home was easy and safe!

Last edited: