A request

bkeats

Senior Insider
Is there any way that a separate sub-forum could be created where the daily menus could be posted? The menus are helpful when I'm on island and looking for lunch but when I'm home and just day dreaming or planning the next trip and looking for an update on a particular restaurant or just reading looking for more active threads, the daily menu update pushes all the other threads down pretty quickly. It wouldn't be so bad if the search function here worked better but it's pretty awful. I find it often more efficient to do a google search to find threads on sbhonline rather than using the native search.

By the way, what determines the cutoff date for old threads on a board? Some go back for many years. Others only until last year.

Thanks.

I tried putting all the menus for the month under one caption but as the month got later and with all the comments the thread got so long it lost its impact. No one wants a menu from yesterday.
Ill try it again beginning May if it bothers you that much.

here's an idea, Andy can you replace one day's menu with the next, so that there aren't 30 daily lunch threads at the end of each month, but just one for Menu and one for Today's Lunch? In other words delete one day's menus when you post the next day's in the same place?

I was thinking that too. I can try that if the window says open long enough for me to delete. Of course most people now don't care about forum headings as they put almost everything in the main forum. Best example is Eve's croissant post.

Is it possible to reverse the sort on an individual thread so new posts appear at the top? If so you could have a single "menu" thread with the newest and most relevant menus at the top. You could read about today easily and if you wanted to reminisce you could scroll down.

Is it possible to reverse the sort on an individual thread so new posts appear at the top? If so you could have a single "menu" thread with the newest and most relevant menus at the top. You could read about today easily and if you wanted to reminisce you could scroll down.
Good idea but that’s not in my purview

Is there any way that a separate sub-forum could be created where the daily menus could be posted? The menus are helpful when I'm on island and looking for lunch but when I'm home and just day dreaming or planning the next trip and looking for an update on a particular restaurant or just reading looking for more active threads, the daily menu update pushes all the other threads down pretty quickly. It wouldn't be so bad if the search function here worked better but it's pretty awful. I find it often more efficient to do a google search to find threads on sbhonline rather than using the native search.

By the way, what determines the cutoff date for old threads on a board? Some go back for many years. Others only until last year.

Thanks.

I think we should vote to cutoff Intriguing weather in 2018 in storm tracker.........lol. 98 percent of the replies are from the person who started the thread...so do math, that thread is played.

I like the "intriguing weather" thread . . . don't have a lot to add to it, but find it interesting and am learning from it.

I don't think I can delete a thread once someone posts on it and you know who always posts on it.

I think Ellen's idea is a good one. I believe you can make changes on a post for quite a while though it would be good to get confirmation of how long from a mod.

While the menu postings are helpful and I use them when I'm on the island, I think that the abundance of the menu postings might be driving the usage of the main forum for other food related postings. The forum feels sort of cluttered. Just an observation, not a criticism.

Hi Andy,
I will not post reply and ask Bill not to post reply, therefore, you can delete next day. I rather enjoy reading the daily feed. Thank you again Andy!!!!

Hi Andy,
I will not post reply and ask Bill not to post reply, therefore, you can delete next day. I rather enjoy reading the daily feed. Thank you again Andy!!!!
Well the whole purpose of this website is for people to respond and mingle online. I don’t know how this would work out.

Well the whole purpose of this website is for people to respond and mingle online. I don’t know how this would work out.

Thank you for posting Andy. I get Menu St. Barth via email most days and I think I get it on FB as well. Sometimes it doesn't come through and then I look to see if you have posted here. We actually use this menu guide to sometimes decide where we will go to eat or many times pick up the special to have for dinner later. I always make a point of waiting to see Hopper's choices for the day before deciding. Hopper, you have to make your picks by noon at the latest on the day the menu is posted. You are messing with our routine. When you post a day later we get confused:)

Thanks for taking the time to post Andy.

K&K

here's an idea, Andy can you replace one day's menu with the next, so that there aren't 30 daily lunch threads at the end of each month, but just one for Menu and one for Today's Lunch? In other words delete one day's menus when you post the next day's in the same place?
That's an interesting idea. It would always be a very relevant and popular thread because it would always be "today's" menu but it would only be one thread. Will it get weird with people replying to a menu that is no longer there? Maybe a Mod make it a sticky with no other replies allowed but the OP?

Even when I am not on the Island, I enjoy reading the daily specials. Thank you Andy for taking the time to post everyday. It allows me to dream about the Island I love so much. I know it can be read elsewhere but since I try to check on the forum each day, it provides ease of searching, at least for me. When we are on island, we usually take advantage of the daily special, it is fun to eat lunch with the construction workers, of which, I am one back home, LOL

I was thinking that too. I can try that if the window says open long enough for me to delete. Of course most people now don't care about forum headings as they put almost everything in the main forum. Best example is Eve's croissant post.

Not to be confused with Kevin’s post on Tamarin’s soufflé.

My post has been moved, to be lost in a sea of Today’s Menu, rather than in a sea of posts on the main forum. Lemme look into what can be done.