Car Rentals

Aipotu

SBH Insider
It's been a while since there has been a good old-fashioned car rental thread, so here goes...

Given the Euro, I'm looking to get the best deal I can for our upcoming trip to SBH -- less than a month away! In seeking rentals this time around, I've noticed two things I haven't before: every one, across the board, is quoting the same exact price; and the prices are higher than usual, especially compared with what we were seeing last year when we booked for October (and had to cancel).

I have been in touch with some of the ones regularly mentioned here, but not seeing any light. Any tips?

Thank you!

We have consistently gotten the best price from Odile at Gumbs. Others have compared in price but none in service.

Costs for all rental companies went up as they had to replace almost all of their fleet destroyed by Irma. Some owners decided to pass the increase to the customers, some not. I guess your October 2017 price was agreed upon before Irma. I recommend the Gumbs too, we are renting from them for decades.

We have been happy of late with the cars and service provided by Arnaud and the TopLoc team.

Agree with Amy and Phil . . . I have good luck with TopLoc, and it's a great team of friendly, very helpful folks. I would note, also, that you might want to check the TopLoc online pricing -- it sometimes is better than their price quotes given through other means.

We have been pleased with Maurice Car Rental. Depending on how long you are staying, you may be able to negotiate a lower rate—agencies often charge more for short duration rentals of a week or less.

Agree with Amy and Phil . . . I have good luck with TopLoc, and it's a great team of friendly, very helpful folks. I would note, also, that you might want to check the TopLoc online pricing -- it sometimes is better than their price quotes given through other means.
Agree with Dennis......My Villa owner used to book my rental for me...claims they got a 20% discount........her price with the "discount" same as advertised price.....go figure......

We just got home from our latest 2 weeks in St Barts. Have always rented from Odile at Gumbs. Always get a great deal and did again this year! We don’t rent anything fancy but it works for us. Plus, she and her sister are really nice people!

Gumbs all the way. Odile has forgiven scratches on the car when I brought it back and other assaults on the car. She is the best.

We used Avis. A good rate for a Terios, but boy was it in bad shape...a little smelly too. A Post Irma car all patched up.
To be honest, it ran well and the a/c worked great! Plus, had we added a bump or scratch (which we didn't), I doubt they would've cared.

When we rented the Terios this year, Odile told us it would not be available for our stay next year as they were no longer being made and had not been made for 4 or 5 years. Too bad because it was a great vehicle.

We have been loyal to Avis for quite some time...we get a Jeep from them at a reasonable price....and we always get t shirts from them at end of our stay...friendly group of people..

Is Gumbs the rental company that allows you to park in their lot in Gustavia? I can’t seem to remember which company has the lot in Gustavia renters can use.

Is Gumbs the rental company that allows you to park in their lot in Gustavia? I can’t seem to remember which company has the lot in Gustavia renters can use.
Oscar Car Rental has a lot in Gustavia. The last 2 years, it has been behind Galawa; prior to that, it was across from L’Isola.