Me And My Arrow

KevinS

Senior Insider
No, not the dog from the Nilsson song. Veuve Clicquot Arrow, or more correctly, Arrows. I stopped at Segeco this morning to stock up on certain supplies, one of which was a case of Veuve Clicquot Champagne. Les Voiles had just finished, so I asked if they had a case of VC in Arrow tins.

Some background: A year or so ago Veuve Clicquot started packaging some of their bottles in Arrow-shaped tins. There were 29 different tins. Each of the tins had a city name, and the distance to Reims, home of Veuve Clicquot. Here are the original 29 cities:

7A0EA3A2-880C-4AA0-AABD-F9D022F095E0.jpeg

There was a 30th tin created for the various Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic events.

There was also a 31st tin created. It’s rarely seen, and some say that there isn’t a 31st tin. But there is. I have several, as do a few other people here. Veuve Clicquot introduced a St Barth tin last year during Les Voiles regatta, and it was available for a few weeks afterwards until supplies ran out. The tin is back this year. Individual tins are available at Marché U for €65.

When I returned to the villa I was asked what I’m going to do with six VC Arrow tins.

I didn’t have a good answer.

Still don’t, LOL.

33A8D83A-848E-475E-B52A-43A05F93829F.jpg

€65 if you buy at Marché U. I buy by the case, from the distributor, and pay 30% less.

9C2F251A-926F-40A1-AD52-A94499C4C5B4.jpg

Veuve Clicquot is cheaper at home than it is here.

I’ll find a way to drink 6 bottles in 2 weeks, starting with a simple villa lunch today - Jambon/Emmenthal sandwiches from Marché U, a few potato chips for crunch, Champagne, and a million dollar view.

I’m told that U was charging €77.50/ bottle during Les Voiles. That's a bit heavy on the price. Some, and i would be one of them, might call that price gouging.

It’s worth the climb up the stairs to me.

Thanks, Kevin - good to know about the price differences. I will be buying a case in June!

Patrick, they way that I look at it, compared to grocery store pricing, if you buy a 6-bottle case then every 3rd bottle is free, LOL.

No Rainmaker here Izzy, and I prefer the Fred Neil original to the Nilsson cover. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXpkgE2HDfU Both versions are worth listening to though.

A bit ironic that the song Nilsson is probably best remembered for is a cover that replaced one of his own best compositions in the movie soundtrack that brought him attention.... and that Fred Neil, by all accounts one of the best stage performers of the 60's Village folk scene, is best known through cover versions by artists ranging from Roy Orbison through the Airplane, whose inclusion of a phrase from an early Neil song in one of their iconic songs led to an iconic Reagan moment...

Bringing this one back to the top. Does anyone know where I can find one of these tins on the island? Eden Rock has their own version. Looking for the St. Barth one. Thank you!

In past years, the Veuve Clicquot Arrow tins have appeared around the time of Les Voiles de St Barth, which takes place from April 12-18 this year.

Right now, you might find a tin at Marché U. They had some in stock in November (€50.99 for a single bottle, €67.90 for a bottle in a tin.) Your best bet would be at Segeco, the distributor. If you’re on the island during Les Voiles, or in the few months after, your chances of finding a tin are always much better. You’ll always find the best price at Segeco.