Omelette #1

KevinS

Senior Insider
It’s too early for Mahi #1, so I went with Omelette #1. We took the early Tradewind from San Juan, arriving a little after 08:00. Surprisingly, it was a full flight, including two women day-tripping from Puerto Rico.

It’s too early to get into our villa, so we planned breakfast at Le Repaire. It’s raining off and on this morning. Getting out of town later may be a challenge. Traffic was backed up from La Tourments to La Cave du Port Franc, with vehicles losing traction and spinning their tires on the steep corners of the road going up from Public. After breakfast, we’ll go in a different direction and avoid that area.

B1CC77F9-91C2-4CB4-A9C6-1BD78E092BB1.jpg

Be careful if you go by way of Lurin, the other day there was a lot of road work up there and cars backed up in all directions.. not my favorite road in the rain.

Be careful if you go by way of Lurin, the other day there was a lot of road work up there and cars backed up in all directions.. not my favorite road in the rain.

I had read that there is work being done up there. EDF is working in the intersection where the road goes down to Saline. When they finish there, they’re going to work their way down the Saline road. Supposedly 3.5t trucks are prohibited, but that’s always been a truck route.

Kevin, it's good to receive your first report. How was SJU airport, nothing special? Did you spend the night there to take such an early flight on Trade Winds?

I had read that there is work being done up there. EDF is working in the intersection where the road goes down to Saline. When they finish there, they’re going to work their way down the Saline road. Supposedly 3.5t trucks are prohibited, but that’s always been a truck route.

The issue I encountered was one red light on the road from Tamarin to the Lurin intersection, and another red light higher up the road to Lurin.. the cars were backed up so far in both directions that cars coming from St Jean on the Carenage road past the pond had no chance of turning right or left.. then a car decided to run the light and met the oncoming cars head-on.. fun and games in the hills...

in any case Kevin, welcome back !

May your red lights be few

IMG_8485.jpeg

Or at least scenic

IMG_8484.JPG

This is where the Lurin crews were about a month ago. Really tedious work for those doing it, made even more so by needing to coordinate with light cycles...

I wonder if its too late to get a contract to support their electrical grid. Granted so far I'm the only employee of my company and I don't know much about electrical grids but I'm a fast learner.:D

Hell, put me on the "payroll", too!

Getting rid of the poles and installing cables and fiber optics underground is smart move. Welcome to the 21st century.

Kevin . . . please give breakfast at L'Isoletta a "go" one morning -- I'd like to hear your impressions. (I, by the way, always like Le Repaire . . . any time!)

Glad you made it smoothly K & K. We lag behind you by a few days.

Thanks for the heads up on the traffic. Looks like plenty of work being done before hurricane season starts -- a good reason to stay on the eastern half of the island -- and stay out of town!

I wondered about that as we passed the airport substation at about 05:45 this morning.

Conventional wisdom is that it is best to take the earliest possible flight of the day. That’s what we did, and today our Travel Karma worked for us.

The SJU airport has generators and they support the functions there.

Fir whatever it's worth "A fault was detected on the line 50700, which starts in Anguirre Central". Some restaurants are still operating on their generators. We thought about switching to SJU from SXM for our next trip in 2018, this blackout is giving me a pause.