Rebecca Field Interview About Saint Barth...

elgreaux

Senior Insider
Frequent Saint Barth visitor and acclaimed bird photographer Rebecca Field has been interviewed by ThomsonReuters and talks about the environmental sustainability of Saint Barth. Her article, A Warning From The Birds Of The Caribbean, includes her take on the restoration of the salt pond in Saint Jean, a subject of great interest to many island residents.

Antillean-Crested-Hummingbird-1.jpg

Antillean Crested Hummingbird.Photo: Rebecca Field

I am totally in awe of Ms.Field's bird photography.

I have noticed the dearth of birds in island since hurricane Irma. I am sure the damage done to their nests and habitats and the tremendous loss of plantings and foliage and food supply are chiefly responsible. Happily, I see some new ones in the hills of Lurin to give me hope that they will, and hopefully soon, be returning.

I am totally in awe of Ms.Field's bird photography.

I have noticed the dearth of birds in island since hurricane Irma. I am sure the damage done to their nests and habitats and the tremendous loss of plantings and foliage and food supply are chiefly responsible. Happily, I see some new ones in the hills of Lurin to give me hope that they will, and hopefully soon, be returning.

Yes, we too while being on Saline Beach noticed that there were absolutely no seagulls, and no pelicans anywhere on the island.

How about iguanas, any one saw them?

But turtles are everywhere and they allow to pet themselves, probably not finding enough food in the wild.

We had several iguanas and babies around our villa in Lorient; and that white headed bird you were talking about, Amy.....Bill saw that .

I saw on facebook a few exchanges with Helene and Rebecca........as you know Helene is not a supporter of the pond project. Helene asked Rebecca if she thought the sediment ponds were adequate,the answer from Rebecca was quite funny.

LindaP-The white crested/crowned pigeons have been up here a couple of times--I was delighted to see them again.Still no hummingbirds and I had a great show or yellow aloe in bloom. A couple of bananaquits, yellow sugar birds, had the crop all to themselves.

We are hearing a lot of birds up here above St. Jean and saw a huge Iguana the other day.
We also have a good view of the salt pond and it seems the pelican like birds are back...we have been watching the work on the pond and it has been going slowly, no one down there now..but it looks like it should be nice

We just returned from 5 weeks and saw several birds near Flamands. We had a bananquit and Hummingbird near us. While on Flamands we saw several Pelicans fly over. On Saline the wonderful white birds that live on the cliffs were flying around. We saw iquanas and turtles in several areas.
The numbers of birds were noticeably absent but the variety is making a slow comeback.
The island looked beautiful with the flowers and trees greening up. Things improved everyday.
We were just happy being there

I saw on facebook a few exchanges with Helene and Rebecca........as you know Helene is not a supporter of the pond project. Helene asked Rebecca if she thought the sediment ponds were adequate,the answer from Rebecca was quite funny.

I think the big issue will be how to keep the pond clean after they finish the project. The ugly reality is that no one is doing anything to control the sewage runoff from the hillsides in St Jean, where new houses continue to be built at an alarming rate. That was one of the big causes of pollution at the pond in the first place. Rebecca is not in charge of the pond project, but her take on the health of the pond and birds is interesting... let's hope there is a Protect-The-Pond (and the birds) committee after it's finished.

I wonder what Helene would have done differently? The pond definitely needed a clean-up, right?

YES! Be fruitful and multiply.

Nice shots, Izzy. I have a bad case of hummingbird envy.

Becky Field has observed conditions in the St. Jean etang over several years. The villa where she stays overlooks the pond. Conditions had deteriorated due to several factors. I think her support for the current project is based on her belief that, at long last, there is a serious effort to restore the mangroves and sustain the pond as a habitat. Becky is a realist. I am sure she is crossing her fingers about the sustainability of the improved state! Ellen is correct---the test will be how conditions are maintained in the future.