Tradewind Landing Over the Bay With Crosswinds

Jim Kelly-Evans

Senior Insider
It's always exciting to fly into SBH, but when we arrived on March 4th there were high winds that forced the cancellation of some flights and ferry service, as well as damage to an underwater cable that knocked out internet connections and disrupted municipal water to parts of the island. Nevertheless, we were able to make it to the island on an early Tradewind flight. I'm not an airplane pilot but I thought that the amount of roll on the approach to the runway gave a pretty good indication of the crosswinds out of the North that were present. As the plane circled prior to landing we were treated to some nice views of the East end of island that we don't normally see on approaches over the hill. The first little island on the video, Ile Toc Vers, lies a good distance off of Point Lorient. I went scuba diving on the North side of this island where there is a fully submerged underwater reef.

We had a good talk with the Tradewind pilots on our last trip. Winds don’t bother them unless they are crosswinds. It was fortunate they were not strong enough for the pilots to decide not to attempt a landing.