Recent Advice Needed for Transfer from SXM to Grand Case

funinsun

I know this topic has been addressed prior to the most recent hurricanes but I just wanted to ask the following:

1) Can anyone recommend a specific person/service to transfer our family of 4 (2 adults/2 kids plus luggage) from SXM to Grand Case? SBC recommended a person named Robinson. Anyone use him? We are arriving on Monday April 2 (day after Easter). How much time should we allow for transfer I've seen times from 15 minutes to 1 hour? We arrive in SXM at 2pm and our SBC connection doesn't depart until 5:30.

2) I'm assuming we have to pick up our luggage in SXM and take it to Grand Case ourselves? Is that correct? Or can we "transfer" it to SBC at SXM?

3) I'm also assuming we go through customs/immigration at SMX as if we are staying there and can't use the "transfer deck" for SBC as we would normally for flights to St. B?

4) The kiddies are going to be especially hungry after a long days journey (our 1st flight scheduled departure is 6am!). Any advice on where we can grab a late lunch close to SXM (or Grand Case) post hurricane? Is anything left walkable/in close proximity to either airport?

Looking forward to getting back to St. B one way or another! Thank you for any and all advice/help!

Don't know Robinson, but any taxi driver can take you there. The drive to the airport in Grand Case is not very long so you have ample time to make the connection. You are correct in that you will have to get your luggage and clear through customs as though you are staying on SXM. As to lunch, get something before going to the airport. There is a small canteen there but the options aren't that great. I've heard that the lolos in Grand Case have reopened so that would be close by, good and cheap. No need to show up at the airport more than 45 minutes or so before your flight as the check in counter won't even be open until then. You will want a cab to pick you up at the lolos and then take you to the airport as I wouldn't want to takes bags plus kids and walk to the airport. My suggestion is to take a cab to Grand Case for lunch and then arrange for the same driver to come back to take you to the airport an hour before your flight. The Grand Case airport is small so no worries over a long check in or security.

Forgot to say "thanks" for this info! The good news is that we were contacted by SBC that they added another flight from SXM and they were willing to change us to this flight. I thought that was great customer service and saves us the hassles of making the transfer to Grand Case.