Italy: Reboot (get it?)

The highlight of our time in Florence was taking a wine tour of the Chianti region. Make sure your group is no more than 8 people (including yourselves and others on the tour) and that it includes lunch. Make sure you know where your host will pick you up and drop you off. We would recommend visiting small independent family-owned wineries rather than big operations such as Ruffino. Florence is absolutely beautiful.

Where are you staying in Positano? Our favorite is San Pietro- book a “suite room “ further down the rockface. Great food and a fun swimming and lunch area all the way down at waterside!

Dennis-
It has been two years since you took the trip.
Please share your adventures.

Sorry Bill....I'm bad at trip reports. I posted daily on Facebook while on this amazing adventure.

In summary, Italy was mind-blowing in every way. (Except for Rome..traffic, dirty, etc. Cool old buildings, tho)

Florence was superb. Positiano a postcard you live in.

The food, the wine and the people were all out of this world.

Any help/tips you want to throw at a first time Florence traveler would be much appreciated. More thinking Restos and the such or anything that really stood out. We only have 2 nights there and probably will spend one of the days taking a train to Siena so we will only be able to hit a couple of the big touristy spots - thinking the Galleria dell'Accademia and the "Duomo". Hotels are all set already (unless a really incredible recommendation): went for the views in Bellagio and San Gimi and Marriott partners in Barcelona and Florence

The Italy portion of our trip (starting in Barcelona) is:
2 nights Bellagio
2 nights San Gimignano - including a couple of wineries
2 Days Florence

All will be rushed to some extent I guess due to travel time but we want to hit a bunch of different places and will not try to fit everything in during those short stays. We are fine hitting one or two "must do's" per City and spending some time wandering, walking, sitting at cafe's and taking in the City's even though our time in each is short.

Any help/tips you want to throw at a first time Florence traveler would be much appreciated. More thinking Restos and the such or anything that really stood out. We only have 2 nights there and probably will spend one of the days taking a train to Siena so we will only be able to hit a couple of the big touristy spots - thinking the Galleria dell'Accademia and the "Duomo".

The Italy portion of our trip (starting in Barcelona) is:
2 nights Bellagio
2 nights San Gimignano - including a couple of wineries
2 Days Florence

All will be rushed to some extent I guess due to travel time but we want to hit a bunch of different places and will not try to fit everything in during those short stays. We are fine hitting one or two "must do's" per City and spending some time wandering, walking, sitting at cafe's and taking in the City's even though our time in each is short.

In Florence for upper end dining: https://www.borgointhecity.com/it/

Dennis, Did you opt for the tasting menu with wine pairing or off the menu? Looks fantastic

Tasting Menu w/wine paring. Why make tough decisions on vacations?

Pictures from that evening. That's not a real tomato, btw.

IMG_4789.jpgIMG_4790.jpgIMG_4791.jpg

Thanks it looks awesome. We went back and forth on where to spend our $'s and ultimately we decided to pick hotels where we could double dip on our AMEX FHR benefits and Marriott points benefits and spend the extra $'s on eating, shopping and wine tours!!! So we are staying at the Sina Villa Medici. Downside seems to be a little but further of a walk (15-20 minutes) from the center of all of the tourist attractions. If anyone knows of this place please let me know. Reviews and the such were positive and we love the perks of choosing FHR properties.

Thanks it looks awesome. We went back and forth on where to spend our $'s and ultimately we decided to pick hotels where we could double dip on our AMEX FHR benefits and Marriott points benefits and spend the extra $'s on eating, shopping and wine tours!!! So we are staying at the Sina Villa Medici. Downside seems to be a little but further of a walk (15-20 minutes) from the center of all of the tourist attractions. If anyone knows of this place please let me know. Reviews and the such were positive and we love the perks of choosing FHR properties.

Good idea. We used Marriott/Amex points for almost all our hotels and stayed at Air BnB's in Positano and Monterosso. You're not in the room that much so we spent accordingly.

Talking about pairing, your pair is the best in the pics with wine glasses making for the perfect prop and menu is mouth watering!

Dennis
Thinking about your wonderful Italian trip 2 years ago, what a difference it is now with the quarantine. Venice, Florence, even Rome are empty of tourists. I never imagined these cities would be like this.

Dennis
Thinking about your wonderful Italian trip 2 years ago, what a difference it is now with the quarantine. Venice, Florence, even Rome are empty of tourists. I never imagined these cities would be like this.

I feel bad for the folks who have had Italy on their bucket list just as Lisa and I did and were planning on going March/April.

Hopefully they can reschedule ASAP.

Thinking of fellow travelers, especially honeymooners. I hope all get to make their trips come true once this virus scourge ends.

Better safe, than sorry. IMHO.