Italy: Reboot (get it?)

Dennis

Senior Insider
So last year's trip to Italy got re-directed to May 2018.

The details:

May 16: Land in Rome 2 1/2 days
May 19: Rome to Florence 3 days
May 22: Florence to Monterosso 2 days
May 24: Monterosso to Capri 2 days
May 26: Capri to Almafi Coast (Positano) 4 days
May 30: Positano to Rome 1 day (night really)
May 31: Rome to Home

All hotels are booked so don't need help there.
Any resto suggestions?
We'll do the major attractions: Vatican, Colosseum, David. Any feelings on which is best to do private tours vs. just a skip the line ticket?

Any and all other input is welcome.

If you want to see David without waiting in line get tickets online and walk right in

https://www.florence-museum.com/accademia-gallery-tickets.php

So many . . . so little time. In Florence, I recommend Cantinetta Antinori. Rome . . . Piperno Restaurant (reserve an outdoor table, if you can get it). Have a wonderful trip . . . it’s a perfect time to be in Italy.

Dennis, when in Positano I HIGHLY recommend La Tagliata Fattoria - it's high in the hills above Positano so offers breathtaking views. And the FOOD!!! It's probably the most authentic Italian dining experience we had, and you get multiple courses for like 30 euros each. It's family run and they grow most of the food they serve on the property.

You will need to arrange for a shuttle to get you there - our hotel drove us there and back.

And you may want to have your hotel (or you) make a reservation in advance - although I heard they may have expanded since we were there in June 2016.

Their website: https://www.latagliata.com

Sounds like a great trip!

Sheryl

Dennis, when in Positano I HIGHLY recommend La Tagliata Fattoria - it's high in the hills above Positano so offers breathtaking views. And the FOOD!!! It's probably the most authentic Italian dining experience we had, and you get multiple courses for like 30 euros each. It's family run and they grow most of the food they serve on the property.

You will need to arrange for a shuttle to get you there - our hotel drove us there and back.

And you may want to have your hotel (or you) make a reservation in advance - although I heard they may have expanded since we were there in June 2016.

Sheryl

Thanks Sheryl!

Table reserved and they are sending the shuttle!

Seems like alot over the time alotted. Have not been to Positano or Capri, other stops been to all, loved Monterosso, still use the long wooden forks I bought there years ago. Don't forget the lemoncello ! Definitely purchase the skip the line tickets in advance, busy time of year, good tho that after Easter etc. Enjoy, watch out for pickpockets, lines for attractions, gypsies...buses & trains & in the stations too. Keep passport in safe place & copy of it elsewhere just in case, easier to replace. Didn't happen to me, but to clients warned, but not paying attention.

Italy is a great destination.Have you and Lisa given SBH the boot?

Heck, no.

There's just too much out there to see for us to go to the same place every year. Although I respect those that have found their happy place and go every year or multiple of times per year.

St Barths will always be in the rotation but on a less frequent basis.

So may places, so little time...

Thanks Sheryl!

Table reserved and they are sending the shuttle!

��������

And in Rome we had a spectacular lunch at Bistro Aroma in the Palazzo Manfredi Hotel. It is on the rooftop of the hotel and overlooks the Colosseum - an absolutely amazing view! It’s a Michelin-starred restaurant and the food definitely lives up to its billing. We had lunch versus dinner to be a bit easier on the walet but it was worth every penny.

So many choices, so little time!

Sheryl

You need to go to Anema e Core tavern in Capri (book a table, late evening, singalongs with Italians and drinking..).

��������

And in Rome we had a spectacular lunch at Bistro Aroma in the Palazzo Manfredi Hotel. It is on the rooftop of the hotel and overlooks the Colosseum - an absolutely amazing view! It’s a Michelin-starred restaurant and the food definitely lives up to its billing. We had lunch versus dinner to be a bit easier on the walet but it was worth every penny.

Sheryl

This is booked for lunch as well.

Thanks!

Leave tomorrow!

Sheryl

Sorry to report, Sheryl that this was the worst meal/experience of the trip. From the cattle-car herding in busses up to the place to the canned introduction that the owner gave to each table to the below average pasta and the inedible meat assortment that virtually every table left untouched, to "Mama" appearing from the elevator like Jon Bon Jovi taking the stage to the crowds delight. Mama had been cooking in the kitchen, the owner told us...not a drop of sweat on her head and nary a splash of sauce on her apron.

It was bad dinner theater.

The worst part was you are "stuck". We knew 20 minutes in it was not for us but you can't leave. It's Hotel California.

Finally, we were told the "shuttle" was waiting outside. It wasn't.

Then along comes a city bus and we are told that this is the shuttle.

The bus driver wanted nothing to do with us and kept yelling in Italian to the girl from the restaurant that we could not board.

Finally, he relented and off we went back into town.

A complete waste of a dinner.

Great view though....

You need to go to Anema e Core tavern in Capri (book a table, late evening, singalongs with Italians and drinking..).

This was amazing! Loads of fun.

We got there at 23:00 and things got rocking around midnight.

I'm pretty sure we were the only non-Italians in the joint.

Thanks for this suggestion!

��������

Sheryl

Absolutely wonderful from start to gluttonous finish.

Aw, I’m really sorry to hear that Dennis! What a difference two years seems to have made. We had an absolutely wonderful experience, took in the breath-taking view, and even met some great people that we bar-hopped with after. Our hotel took us there and picked us up so we didn’t have any issues with transportation. I feel bad that it sucked for you!

But I guess I can take some small solace in hearing that the Rome recommendation did pan out.

Trust that you had an awesome trip aside from the one wasted dinner!

Sheryl

Sorry to report, Sheryl that this was the worst meal/experience of the trip. From the cattle-car herding in busses up to the place to the canned introduction that the owner gave to each table to the below average pasta and the inedible meat assortment that virtually every table left untouched, to "Mama" appearing from the elevator like Jon Bon Jovi taking the stage to the crowds delight. Mama had been cooking in the kitchen, the owner told us...not a drop of sweat on her head and nary a splash of sauce on her apron.

It was bad dinner theater.

The worst part was you are "stuck". We knew 20 minutes in it was not for us but you can't leave. It's Hotel California.

Finally, we were told the "shuttle" was waiting outside. It wasn't.

Then along comes a city bus and we are told that this is the shuttle.

The bus driver wanted nothing to do with us and kept yelling in Italian to the girl from the restaurant that we could not board.

Finally, he relented and off we went back into town.

A complete waste of a dinner.

Great view though....