Things to do in MIA?

TPunch42

Senior Insider
With the limited flights through ST Maarten, and our long journey from West Coast, it's looking like an overnight in Miami will make the most sense for us going home in July. We will have about 24 hours in MIA. THought it might be fun to do something fun not too far from the airport.

When we got stuck in MIA 2 years ago due to crazy lines in security, we went to the Viscaya Museum and Gardens. It was beautiful and reminded us of the Italian villas on Lake Maggiore. It was HOT though.

We'd prefer to skip the beach since we won't be able to shower before heading out on our 7:30 pm flight to San Diego.

Any other suggestions?

I know One member of the family who would enjoy Little Havana and it’s cigar factories and stores but it’s is a great area to visit not to far from the airport
You haven’t fully experienced the Magic City until you’ve visited Little Havana. Miami Cubans (and pretty much every local) take great pride in this neighborhood just west of Downtown Miami, where the famed Calle Ocho strip remains a testament to the American dream pursued by the hundreds of thousands of Cubans who settled it. More than being a place to find incredible Cuban restaurants in Miami, Little Havana is teeming with culture, plus places to discover art and knock back a few cocktails at several of the best bars in Miami.

I would agree with Bob's recommendation that you visit Little Havana . . . a colorful, interesting neighborhood. Perhaps a little more straightforward, you might also enjoy a visit to Coral Gables. On Biscayne Bay, it is a carefully planned community which was designed and developed in the 1920s in a Spanish Mediterranean architectural style, with very scenic, tree-lined streets and numerous points of interest, including the Charles Deering Estate (he was brother to James Deering, whose home -- Viscaya -- you mentioned that you visited on another stopover in Miami).

Great recommendations. Any interesting shopping in those areas? (I said interesting not upscale.) We do have teenage dtrs along after all. ;D

Great recommendations. Any interesting shopping in those areas? (I said interesting not upscale.) We do have teenage dtrs along after all. ;D
Both have shopping Little Havana will be more vibrant and colorful but Coral Gables area is also beautiful and Deering estate is worth a visit

been to Miami many many times. There is nothing by the airport, actually the airport area is kinda sketchy. You mentioned NO Beach so I would suggest the "hot" neighbourhoods right now to visit are Wynwood and the Design District:
https://www.miamidesigndistrict.net/
https://wynwoodmiami.com/

The Street Art in Wynwood is a lot of fun, also I recommend Panther Coffee and The Salty Donut, The St Roch Market is just open as well. https://www.miami.strochmarket.com/

With the limited flights through ST Maarten, and our long journey from West Coast, it's looking like an overnight in Miami will make the most sense for us going home in July. We will have about 24 hours in MIA. THought it might be fun to do something fun not too far from the airport.

When we got stuck in MIA 2 years ago due to crazy lines in security, we went to the Viscaya Museum and Gardens. It was beautiful and reminded us of the Italian villas on Lake Maggiore. It was HOT though.

We'd prefer to skip the beach since we won't be able to shower before heading out on our 7:30 pm flight to San Diego.

Any other suggestions?

Lincoln Road is GREAT for people watching and the novelty of it being an outside pedestrian mall, however its all Gap and Victoria Secret now, the shopping there is uninspired and nothing you cannot find in every city in the world. I cry about Lincoln Road (in the 90s it was a cool place with a lot of small, fun shops) now its just Fifth Avenue.

I like Little Havana as well, but with the girls I might head to Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, look at the Art Deco hotels nearby and cool shopping and dining here...

http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/places-to-see/south-beach-art-deco-district/lincoln-road

Lincoln Road is GREAT for people watching and the novelty of it being an outside pedestrian mall, however its all Gap and Victoria Secret now, the shopping there is uninspired and nothing you cannot find in every city in the world. I cry about Lincoln Road (in the 90s it was a cool place with a lot of small, fun shops) now its just Fifth Avenue.

sorry to hear that, I guess I haven't been there in quite a while... thanks for the update!

On another recent thread TPunch, people refer to a extension of the St. Barth Le Piment which opened up this past June South of Fifth in Miami. You can enjoy the island Ouanalao during your 24 hour stay.��