Carnaval 2018

GWH

SBH Member
We will be on the island during Carnaval this February with our 5-year-old granddaughter.
I am curious about the best way to experience it as well as any other tips on getting in and out of Gustavia, traffic, parking, etc.
Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

We will be on the island during Carnaval this February with our 5-year-old granddaughter.
I am curious about the best way to experience it as well as any other tips on getting in and out of Gustavia, traffic, parking, etc.
Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
Welcome. We have viewed the parade from Le Select which was very good. Many people also have front row seats at Le Repaire. You probably need reservations for Le Repaire. I parked in the upper street going out.

She might enjoy watching the children's parade which usually occurs the afternoon before the big deal. Watch the local paper for the time and date.

Thanks, Andy & Tim. I've been lurking around here since Irma and appreciate (almost) everyone's input and information while our paradise rebuilds.
We were fortunate to be able to spend the first week in December on the island and can't wait to get back.

And bring a mask or feathers or horn for her. The kids parade is a fantastic suggestion.

Tim---I believe the Children's Parade may occur during the week prior to Carnaval. It has varied a bit in recent years. Sometimes, the Friday before and sometimes other days during that week. The Tourist Bureau on the quai should know the details. It marks the beginning of school vacation.

Balloon family at Carnaval past -

Carnaval - 1.jpg

Someone correct me but I believe Vaval is always burned on Ash Wednesday which is the same day as Valentines Day this year- Feb. 14. Backing up, the 'adult' parade is the day before Tues. Feb. 13 and the childrens' parade on Mon.Feb. 12.

We were at Carnival last year, and we just showed up early at L'Oubli and got a front row seat. We ate and drank while we were there and had a wonderful time.

If you happen to have two rental cars- park one in town early in the morning of the parade away from the meters and the need for the little paper clock in your car such as back by the Church. Then drive the other one in, drop your passengers off and park where you can which will be quite a ways away. You can also probably reserve a parking spot over in the lot near L'Isola,( it will be expensive but c'est ;a vie).

We went last year, and if you don’t want to drive; as we didn’t; they have a free shuttle bus that left from the parking lot across from Tom Beach Hotel....you will have to check Le News for the times ....very easy and convenient.

We went last year, and if you don’t want to drive; as we didn’t; they have a free shuttle bus that left from the parking lot across from Tom Beach Hotel....you will have to check Le News for the times ....very easy and convenient.
Good info