Thread: Running on St. Barths

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2013 New York, NY Posts: 23

Running on St. Barths

Hello,
    I am heading to St. Barths next week for 7 days. I am currently training for the NYC half marathon in March so I will need to do a couple of long runs while I am on the island. Does anyone have any trails/routes they recommend? I'm staying in Pointe Milou and will have a car.
    Thank you in advance!

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 20,501

Re: Running on St. Barths

There's a ton of information for you in the Timeless Tips forum. This thread is what you're looking for:
    https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/56174

Please, Please - it's dangerous out there, with narrow roads and limited sidewalks, so No Ear Buds unless you're running on the track.

SBH Member Joined: Jun 2017 Florida Posts: 33

I love running in Pointe Milou one of my favorite areas on the island. There are sidewalks going from the airport all the way through Lorient. Another favorite is along Toiny/Grand Fond area. I will start in Toiny then run up the big hill, down the hill till the turn to Lorient then back. Thats a fun run! Vitet is hilly too and the roads are not as busy. Enjoy and take your phone with you for some photos. Great views!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 26,594

One has to watch for roadwork, telephone pole repair, electricity crews, etc. be careful.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,623

Quote Originally Posted by myhappyplace View Post
    There are sidewalks going from the airport all the way through Lorient.
    has the COM added sidewalks recently in St-Jean ?
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la Santé

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,389

It is hard to get a really long run in on the island without repeats and/or tons of hills. The info in the Timeless Tips is great. Agree also with statements about safety. Earlier is better (but be aware of locals heading to work), no headphones (you need to hear vehicles), and watch your feet (very uneven surfaces.)

In spite of all this...I'd rather be running in St. Barth than at home any day!

A few years ago we had a fun "challenge" thing going on the forum. These are not long runs but are great workouts. Here is a link to the Colombier Challenge:

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/sho...ute-Challenge?

The Gouverneur up and down is fun and you are rewarded with one of the best beaches in the world.

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/sho...ute-Challenge?

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2003 Albany, NY Posts: 2,805

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    One has to watch for roadwork, telephone pole repair, electricity crews, etc. be careful.
    And garbage trucks, right , Phil???

Sunday’s are definitely the best day to go out, less traffic; just watch for the bike racers
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance !

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,177

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2013 New York, NY Posts: 23

Thank you all for your quick replies!

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 9,168

We agree with Kevin- running on the main roads is perilous. Like myhappyplace, We run in Pte. Milou- down to the Christopher and back up- all the way out to the main road and around the various roads in Pte. Milou and often venture over to Mon Jean where you can get in on foot but not by car because it is gated.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2003 CT Posts: 3,122

I would agree with all the prior comments—-especially the notes about safety. During our 30 years of annual visits, we have logged many miles on St. Barth roads and the track. We trained for marathons and shorter distances. You can certainly do several loops of Pt. Milou and Mont Jean without venturing into the main road. You can also intersperse track workouts with your road work. And since the hills are challenging, I think you will find yourself in better shape when you leave than when you arrive. Good luck!

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2015 Dallas Posts: 19

The track would be safest!!!!!

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2002 Wakefield, RI Posts: 804

The steep hills of SBH were my training grounds for what ultimately led me through a very successful collegiate and international rowing portion of my life.
    Chas

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,623

Name:  0FDF7946-C19C-443B-9797-86F815211A05.jpeg
Views: 297
Size:  690.5 KB
    This fellow seems to know where it’s safe to run
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la Santé

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA