Intriguing weather in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris83

SBH Insider
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]Winter Storm Grayson, a very large and powerful winter storm is threatening the East Coast of the United States with heavy snow, intense winds, and record-setting low temperatures. [/FONT]
[FONT=lucida_granderegular]According to Bloomberg,It could produce a “bomb cyclone,” otherwise known as a bombogenesis, a phenomenon that occurs when a system’s central pressure drops steeply - 24 millibars or more - in 24 hours. If current computer models hold, that’ll start to happen somewhere off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, and continue as the storm moves north. Hurricane-force wind warnings have been posted off the coast where ships could encounter winds of 80 miles (130 kilometers) an hour and waves as high as 26 feet on Thursday.
This particular storm, which is currently developing off the coast of Florida, will devour enough warm water that it could be considered a winter hurricane by the time it leaves the Mid-Atlantic coast late Wednesday.

Intriguing to say the least.Maybe a few of those could cool down the water in the south atlantic,to counteract "la niña"[/FONT]

Those of us who live in the East Coast have been watching this for a few days. Snow in North Florida. Hopefully it will stay to the East. I will salt my driveway tonight.

Really? Must be a slow news day. Here's the lead into the BBG story:

Now that Boston has tied a 100-year-old record with seven days of highs below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, New York’s airports have registered new lows and Chicago has enjoyed its coldest New Year’s Day ever, a storm is set to race up the U.S. East Coast on Thursday and dump snow along the way. Boston may see as much as 11 inches (28 centimeters), Manhattan could get 3, and Brooklyn and Queens are set for 4.

If a bomb of a storm dumps 3-11 inches of snow, what are the ones that drop 20+ called? Snowmagedon? In fact I think that has been used before. In my memory we get one of those in NYC pretty regularly. To my mind, just another nor'easter. Mr. Sullivan needed to meet a story quota.

Really? Must be a slow news day. Here's the lead into the BBG story:

Now that Boston has tied a 100-year-old record with seven days of highs below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, New York’s airports have registered new lows and Chicago has enjoyed its coldest New Year’s Day ever, a storm is set to race up the U.S. East Coast on Thursday and dump snow along the way. Boston may see as much as 11 inches (28 centimeters), Manhattan could get 3

The storm itself isn't a huge event and you are right about "slow news" days
2017 was the warmest year ever in America.We sadly know how this ended for the caribbean.(even if other factors are also at play)
Considering the forecast for the 2018 hurricane season,anything cooling the ocean might be relevant,specially considering the duration of the cold snap.

Lived through a number of wicked bad storms but never heard of a storm with "bombogenesis" growing up on the New England coast...

The term is weather jargon that can be traced back to the 1940's. Its usage has undergone its own "bombogenesis" in recent years - some say the internet's fondness for apocalyptic terms is contributory. The increased usage has paralleled the Weather Channel's use of names (this one is Grayson) for winter storms that most of us ignore/, laugh at, or disparage.

Hers is a diagram from a 1980 study that looked at "bombs" in the 3 preceding years, focusing on 1978-1979. And to think, we didn't even know bombs came our way.

sanders.jpg

In any event, bombogenesis may remind us that a bigger, more powerful button is not in the hand of man.

Lived through a number of wicked bad storms but never heard of a storm with "bombogenesis" growing up on the New England coast...

The term is weather jargon that can be traced back to the 1940's. Its usage has undergone its own "bombogenesis" in recent years - some say the internet's fondness for apocalyptic terms is contributory.

Check hypercane )) quite apocalyptic

We have been watching as well- sounds like hyper or over inflated news! Yes there is a storm but c'est la vie! Enjoy it while it lasts and dream of Amy's sunset!

Not inflated here in our part of SC where snow is rare, a couple of inches or more in Bluffton, some over on Hilton Head, odd to see snow covered palms in our yard, quite frigid so Amy's Saba sunset pic is my vision today !

Not inflated here in our part of SC where snow is rare, a couple of inches or more in Bluffton, some over on Hilton Head, odd to see snow covered palms in our yard, quite frigid so Amy's Saba sunset pic is my vision today !

I remember a Christmas snowstorm on HIlton Head which brought about 4” of snow. It took days to melt, and the ruts would refreeze overnight. Lots of crashes, lots of cars in the lagoons.

We're going to get some snow in the western burbs of Philadelphia, but the real news is that it's cold as hell!
Cold, cold cold.....Freezing cold. Dreaming of SBH.

Agree Andy! I LOVE the snow, but not these icy temps so much. It's almost too cold to ski! The Jersey shore will be welcoming this snowstorm (Grayson)? Heading to our place in the mountains tomorrow where the wind chill is supposed to be -15 to-20! Ouch!!

....but the real news is that it's cold as hell! Cold, cold cold.....Freezing cold. Dreaming of SBH.

Trapped in ice of the ninth circle of hell, the devil is in quite a predicament. To fly and escape, he needs to flap his immense wings but the flapping of those wings creates the frigid wind that results in the ice...

Gustave_Dore_Inferno34.jpg

This nor’easter—dubbed Grayson by The Weather Channel—will rank among the most impressive of recent decades in its fast development, deep low pressure, and fierce winds. Various models agreed that Grayson’s surface low would deepen by an astounding 30-40 millibars or more from late Wednesday to late Thursday, more than qualifying the midlatitude cyclone as a meteorological “bomb” (defined as 24 millibars of deepening in 24 hours). The deepening rate could be among the strongest observed off the East Coast in the last several decades of records, according to David Roth (NWS).
The extended cold that’s kept parts of the U.S. Northeast below 32°F for more than a week will continue through the coming weekend, producing some of the longest below-freezing stretches on record.

We badly need
the atlantic to cool down..Could very long cold storms do the trick and remove enough heat content ?

If history is an indicator, one result of "Grayson" probably will be an uptick in near-term travel to the Caribbean. Good for airlines & local SBH business!

If history is an indicator, one result of "Grayson" probably will be an uptick in near-term travel to the Caribbean. Good for airlines & local SBH business!

Hello Dennis

Sadly,it is very difficult to find flights and tourists are flocking to Barbados and Mexico instead.(no surprise,to be honest ).Or skiing.
This season is dead in the water.Numbers are going to be down 80%,or so.
Summer 2018 not looking friendly,neither,according to reports i saw.

And Grayson has further cut down on flights to the Caribbean and anywhere else from the Northeast airports. Tough travel scheduling ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.