Less flights- higher prices

andynap

Senior Insider
U.S. airlines reduced Caribbean capacity by 10% in December

By Robert Silk / January 01, 2018

T0101Tradewind2.jpg
A Tradewind Aviation aircraft landing in St. Barts.

--

--

With portions of the Caribbean still struggling to recover from massive hits by hurricanes Irma and Maria in September, U.S.-based airlines flew nearly 10% fewer seats to the region in December than they had a year earlier.
Still, the factors that airlines consider when deciding how much to pare down service to islands and other locales that are reeling from national disasters go well beyond merely dollars-and-cents considerations, industry sources said.
"From the standpoint of airlines, they take the long view," said aviation industry analyst Bob Mann of R.W. Mann & Co. "They have employees in the island. Those employees have families. The airlines have an infrastructure in the island. They have account relations in the island. You just wouldn't walk away from that. It's part of the social contract. It's not just wretched capitalism."
According to the airline data analytics company OAG, the most-damaged Caribbean islands are all experiencing substantial drops in airlift this winter. Capacity to Puerto Rico was down 28.2% year over year in December. In the U.S. Virgin Islands, it was down 47.2%. Dutch St. Maarten, where the airport has been forced to move into temporary facilities while the terminal is rebuilt, saw a decrease of 62.4%.
Other affected destinations, including St. Barts, Anguilla, St. Kitts and Nevis and the British Virgin Islands saw air service declines of between 11.6% and 32.8%.
OAG said it expects similar types of numbers in January and February.
Among specific airlines, American and JetBlue, the two largest U.S. carriers in the Caribbean market, flew 15% and 11.8% less capacity, respectively, year over year to the Caribbean in December. Delta's capacity was down 17.1%, United's was down 25.7% and Spirit flew 25% fewer Caribbean seats.
One exception to the trend was Southwest, whose Caribbean capacity was up 16.6%. The carrier has been broadening its Caribbean service since moving into the international market in 2014.
The storms and subsequent drop in service to affected markets have had a less consistent impact on prices. According to Hopper, an app that tracks airfares for price-conscious shoppers, fares out of the U.S. market were down 22.3% during the Dec. 16 to 25 holiday period for San Juan and down 23% for St. Croix, for example. But prices to St. Thomas were up 26.6%, and prices to St. Maarten were 36.9% higher.
Hopper measures prices based on what a traveler buying airfare that is cheaper than the fares purchased by 90% of travelers would pay.
Mann noted that during the period when a destination is rebuilding from a hurricane, the nature of its travelers changes. Tourists make up a smaller portion of the market share, while higher-price-point business travelers, notably contractors, make up a larger portion of the market. Capacity reductions can also serve to drive up an airline's yield, even when flying to a storm-ravaged destination.
Eric Zipkin, who owns the small operator Tradewind Aviation along with brother David, said that in the immediate aftermath of Irma and Maria, the publicly owned U.S. airlines responded to strong shareholder pressure to cut capacity to affected islands. But shortly thereafter, they began adding it back, he said.
Tradewind has made similar calculations. The carrier typically flies as many as 40 to 50 frequencies during the winter months from its Caribbean base in San Juan to St. Barts, Antigua, Nevis and Anguilla using eight-seater Pilatus PC-12 aircraft. This year Tradewind had hoped for a boost from a codeshare agreement on the St. Barts, Antigua and Nevis routes that it entered into with United in October.
Instead, Tradewind reduced its Caribbean capacity year-over-year by 31.7% this December and reallocated some of its aircraft to its Northeast network.
Eric Zipkin said that Tradewind won't fly to Hurricane Irma-ravaged Anguilla at all this winter, a route that normally would represent about 5% of its Caribbean frequencies.
On the other hand, he said, Tradewind has high hopes for St. Barts this winter, even though the eastern Caribbean destination, a favorite of wealthy travelers, was pummeled by Irma.
Flights from San Jose to St. Barts then on to Antigua typically make up 90% of Tradewind's Caribbean frequencies, and the carrier expects to be flying between 70% and 80% of last year's capacity to St. Barts in February and March.
David Zipkin said, "We are spending a great deal of effort to educate both the travel industry and the consumer that certain islands are completely fine, like Nevis and Antigua, and that even some islands that were hit hard are recovering very quickly, like St. Barts."
Echoing Mann's comments, the Zipkins said they have very much taken the long view when making decisions about how to adjust flying schedules in response to the hurricanes.
"It is immensely important, both from a humanitarian standpoint and also from a business standpoint," Eric Zipkin said. "Caribbean destinations survive on critical mass. If it gets below a certain point, there's not enough business for restaurants. As restaurants close, there's less reason for tourists to come. So when you have something like a hurricane strike, it's really important to maintain enough of that critical demand as possible.

Many of us here can remember pre-computer days -- when capacity / fare analyses, etc., were done by people wearing green eyeshades in windowless backrooms. As one among the group, it fascinates / amazes me to see the lightening speed of economic adjustments that occur in airline schedules & pricing. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that folks like AA, Delta, JetBlue, & United can "program" for the referenced "social contract."

In this regard, as simple as the principle is, I agree with Zipkin comments about something as straightforward as the importance of acting to avoid closings of restaurants (& beach rentals & bars, clothing shops, watch stores, car & villa rental agencies, etc.) during the travel gap that the Caribbean faces today. It's a difficult time for our island friends in tourism (reminiscent of post-9/11 times when I saw island proprietors facing foreclosure of their businesses). As a consequence, I offer applause to so many Forum members who are "showing up" & -- though it may seem ill-bred to say it -- "spending money."

The fare difference between SJU and SXM is striking. Looking at traveling from NYC to SJU on Saturday Feb 10 and returning Monday Feb 19, the lowest round trip airfare is $237 which is crazy cheap. Same dates for SXM the fare is $435 which isn't bad for travel that includes a holiday weekend, So when I think about the $200 difference plus what SBC or Winair costs, the difference for flying into SJU and taking Tradewind is there but it isn't as great as it used to be. Shows how much capacity to SXM has been cut.

By the way, where is the San Jose that you can fly to SBH from? :wink2:

The fare difference between SJU and SXM is striking. Looking at traveling from NYC to SJU on Saturday Feb 10 and returning Monday Feb 19, the lowest round trip airfare is $237 which is crazy cheap. Same dates for SXM the fare is $435 which isn't bad for travel that includes a holiday weekend, So when I think about the $200 difference plus what SBC or Winair costs, the difference for flying into SJU and taking Tradewind is there but it isn't as great as it used to be. Shows how much capacity to SXM has been cut.

By the way, where is the San Jose that you can fly to SBH from? :wink2:
Wow $237 is crazy cheap from NYC to SJU:thinking1:. But even if $200 less to SJU than SXM, isn't the connecting flight from SJU to SBH a lot more than from SXM? It seems to me the Math never shows that to be the cheaper route or even close for that matter when I've looked. I could be wrong because I only spent a minute on it, but SBC shows $75 each way for the dates you mentioned or $150RT bringing the total to $585RT. Not sure who flies from SJU that I may be missing, but on google flights the cheapest non-stop I see from SJU - SBH is $627RT which all by itself is more than the trip through SXM. Total RT through SJU is over $850 even with that crazy cheap flight from NYC to SJU. So I'll spend that extra $300 on a way to expensive dinner and bottle of wine and cheap out on the flight top offset it.

It also depends if you want to wait at SJU in an air-conditioned lounge with a refrigerator full of complimentary beverages and snacks (thank you Tradewind), with a rest room nearby, or if you want to wait in a rather hot tent with porta-potties (alebit nice ones) and snacks and beverages for purchase. it's the overall experience at the moment... the people in SXM are all very nice and doing their best to alleviate a difficult situation but I would vote for SJU right now, having gone through SXM in early December... other factors play in effect as well, how long is your wait in SXM, but once they get the new air-conditioned tents up and running it might be a better experience. I know some people will tell me they had a 15 minute wait in SXM and it was no problem at all, but if your wait is a few hours, it can be a bit warm...

I'm with ellen. When the difference used to be about $600-700 a person, Tradewinds wasn't usually on my list of options. But with a difference of ~$300, that's something I would be willing to pay to avoid SXM. Also to the extent it makes any difference, I think that SBC fare is in euros, not dollars so you need to add 20%. For the comfort, convenience and sheer number of options, I'm thinking we will be going through SJU next trip.

I'm with ellen. When the difference used to be about $600-700 a person, Tradewinds wasn't usually on my list of options. But with a difference of ~$300, that's something I would be willing to pay to avoid SXM. Also to the extent it makes any difference, I think that SBC fare is in euros, not dollars so you need to add 20%. For the comfort, convenience and sheer number of options, I'm thinking we will be going through SJU next trip.
I think the key is we all decide how to spend our own money and time and pick what's best for us. For me, I'm an airline bargain hunter so $300 per person (times how many people?) is enough for me, but you are right and it's funny when you think about how little $300 is in the big picture of a vacation to St Barth! Of course many won't spend $50 to rent a chair in front of a nice hotel so we all pick our guilty pleasures:up:

The one $627 flight the days you mentioned from SJU leaves at 7:00am. If you are connecting from NYC and not staying overnight you are looking at $957. So it's back to about $600 more pp ($2,400 more for a family of 4) or a hotel stay and $300pp. But, I bet if you picked different days you could get it back down to $300 and it's nice to try different options too. Regardless, the most interesting part of this to me is still that the flight from NYC to SJU is only $237 ROUND TRIP!!!

I think the key is we all decide how to spend our own money and time and pick what's best for us. For me, I'm an airline bargain hunter so $300 per person (times how many people?) is enough for me, but you are right and it's funny when you think about how little $300 is in the big picture of a vacation to St Barth! Of course many won't spend $50 to rent a chair in front of a nice hotel so we all pick our guilty pleasures:up:

The one $627 flight the days you mentioned from SJU leaves at 7:00am. If you are connecting from NYC and not staying overnight you are looking at $957. So it's back to about $600 more pp ($2,400 more for a family of 4) or a hotel stay and $300pp. But, I bet if you picked different days you could get it back down to $300 and it's nice to try different options too. Regardless, the most interesting part of this to me is still that the flight from NYC to SJU is only $237 ROUND TRIP!!!
Comparing the options for SJU to SBH flights, St. Barth Commuter has charters flying that path. Does anybody know their approximate pricing for 7-seater in high season?

Comparing the options for SJU to SBH flights, St. Barth Commuter has charters flying that path. Does anybody know their approximate pricing for 7-seater in high season?

Leon, I haven't asked for a quote lately, but the last time that I did it was €1200, roughly $1450 one way at today's exchange rate.

I checked last month before I purchased our charter and and it was about the same price. I chose Tradewind because, I feel, the planes are higher quality level experience.

SBC charter rates: (one way SXM SBH - 7 seats)

High season: 1,190 euros
Low season: 990 euros

With the increased capacity in St. Kitts (SKB) (many more commercial flights than before), it's worth looking at as a gateway option to SBH also. The flight time to SBH is only 25 minutes.

SBC charter rates: (one way SKB SBH - 7 seats)

High season: 1,490 euros
Low season: 1,390 euros

SBC charter rates: (one way SXM SBH - 7 seats)

High season: 1,190 euros
Low season: 990 euros

With the increased capacity in St. Kitts (SKB) (many more commercial flights than before), it's worth looking at as a gateway option to SBH also. The flight time to SBH is only 25 minutes.

SBC charter rates: (one way SKB SBH - 7 seats)

High season: 1,490 euros
Low season: 1,390 euros
Thank you for this information!

Do you know the SBC Charter price for SBH to SJU flight in high season?

Leon, I haven't asked for a quote lately, but the last time that I did it was €1200, roughly $1450 one way at today's exchange rate.

That sounds about right. For a similar distance flight from St. Thomas to SBH we paid that a number of years ago. I will say that the plane was not for 7 people. 2 pilot seats (I recall there only being 1 pilot) and a bench seat behind and there may have been one behind us as well. Two people at 6'3" filled the plane. There was nothing glamorous about this flight but it was necessary for what we had going on at the time.