Restos19 Draft

KevinS

Senior Insider
Attached is the first cut at what will be Restos19, the 19th version of my St Barth Restaurant List.

Some "eagle eyes" may notice changes which I've missed, or corrections which should be made. I'll post a finalized version in a few weeks

The following are what I recall as the major changes on the SBH restaurant scene for the 2017 – 2018 season.

First, the bad news:

There are some big changes this year, most notably the closure of all of the beachfront hotels (and their restaurants) due to damage from Irma. La Plage at the Tom Beach has already opened for drinks only, and is working hard to reopen the restaurant. The restaurants at Le Christopher may open in March. The rest, with one possible exception, I don't expect to see before Summer. Nikki Beach also sustained heavy damage, and is also working to reopen. Shellona has already reopened.

Côté Port is no more. After Irma, Hervé said “Côté Port, c'est dans le port”, Côté Port is in the harbor. The landlord had been planning to tear down the building, so it was time to move on.

La Gloriette, beloved by many, sustained heavy damage, and it is uncertain if it will reopen.

Other restaurants, including Maya's, Santa Fé, Bonito, and O'Corail also sustained heavy damage, but are working to reopen.

Hideaway seems to be in limbo. There are projected reopening dates, but nothing seems to be happening there.

Carpe Diem, which became a favorite of many in its short life, has closed. The property owner is putting a new building on the site. There will be space for a restaurant, but the rent is rumored to be €10,000 per month – with no parking.

Meat and Potatoes has closed. There have been several rumors about a new restaurant at that location, but nothing has happened as yet.

Le Rendez Vous, the organic grocery in Les Mangliers, has closed. AMC is making more organic products available in their Gustavia store. La Vie Claire in Anse des Cayes is now the only organic grocery on the island

On to the good news:

25 Quarter now has a back-room Rhum Room, said to have over 400 rums.

Café Gloriette was expected to open this month in Gustavia, near La Poste, but I haven't seen any recent news. I'm told that the new café will be a wine and rhum bar, with a few tapas.

DaVinci Pizza has taken over the Le Spot by Choisy space at Boulangerie Choisy in Lorient.

L'll is a new beach bar, located between La Plage and Hotel Emeraude Plage. It could be short lived, or it could grow into a full restaurant. Time will tell.

Ociela has opened in the former Strand space above Black Ginger and below Bonito. They have a Mediterranean menu, and a view out over the harbor.

Hervé, owner of many restaurants over the years from Le Rivage to Côté Port, is opening a new restaurant, QG, short for Quartier General, (HQ or Headquarters in English). The new restaurant is being built next to and behind the Carambole bakery, across from La Poste in Gustavia.

The Carl Gustaf owners and operators purchased not only Dõ Brazil (now Shellona), but also Le Gustav (formerly La Route des Boucaniers), on the harbor. They are rumored to be reopening as Victoria. No word yet on what the new menu will be.

Attached below is a PDF of the draft Restos19.

great list, thanks for all the work pulling the details together... one question: does Bo Káo still exist? there seems to be some sort of bar sprouting up in Le Carré D'Or but not sure if it's the same.. will check it out....

I’m unsure about Bo Kao. I saw no activity there in November. I think that they’re part of the Nikki empire now. Nikki seems to have focused on their other properties. The previous owner petty much drove Bo Kao into the ground.

Enjoy! Please let me know if you spot any errors. I'm probably going to lock Restos19 somewhere around mid-January.

Thanks Kevin......looking forward to checking out the only Speakeasy on the island (25 Quarter) in February!

"[FONT=&quot]The Carl Gustaf owners and operators purchased not only Dõ Brazil (now Shellona), but also Le Gustav (formerly La Route des Boucaniers), on the harbor. They are rumored to be reopening as Victoria." When Jody went to Shellona, the owner told her they also own the former Wall House. That is a lot of major [/FONT]restaurants in St Barts. I wonder where all that money is coming from?

"[FONT=&quot]The Carl Gustaf owners and operators purchased not only Dõ Brazil (now Shellona), but also Le Gustav (formerly La Route des Boucaniers), on the harbor. They are rumored to be reopening as Victoria." When Jody went to Shellona, the owner told her they also own the former Wall House. That is a lot of major [/FONT]restaurants in St Barts. I wonder where all that money is coming from?

Do you know the musical FIORELLO? The answer would be FROM INSIDE A LITTLE TIN BOX, A LITTLE TIN BOX THAT A LITTLE TIN KEY UNLOCKS!

"The Carl Gustaf owners and operators purchased not only Dõ Brazil (now Shellona), but also Le Gustav (formerly La Route des Boucaniers), on the harbor. They are rumored to be reopening as Victoria." When Jody went to Shellona, the owner told her they also own the former Wall House. That is a lot of major restaurants in St Barts. I wonder where all that money is coming from?
The owner of The Carl Gustaf leased it in a long term arrangement to an “operator.” My understanding is that parties related to each of the lessee and the CG owner also subsequently acquired the old Route des Boucaniers (“Le Gustaf”) & Do Brasil (“Shellona”). They are, indirectly at least, of French lineage (i.e., because the parties are not individuals, they likely are entities organized in the most tax efficient domiciles possible). There appears to be a connection between parties operating the former Wall House Restaurant (“La Guerite”) & some ownership interest in Shellona & whatever Le Gustaf becomes (“Victoria?”) . . . but I don’t believe that it extends to ownership of the Carl Gustaf. The “bottom line” is that the properties are intertwined, in varying degrees, in a highly sophisticated European-based organizational structure. Likely a future path of commercial development on SBH.

Thank you Kevin, we used your resto 19 several times for phone numbers and open day/times to make reservations. Thank you again for all your hard work!