Bagatelle reopens 12/14

andynap

Senior Insider
7974C92E-78D7-4365-A065-2AA93D9EA226.jpeg

We are happy for Bagatelle but are not fans. The music just gets louder and louder and finally one can not hear one another. We like to listen to the water and enjoy the peacefulness of the island. But hey- this is part of the island spirit for the disco crowd!

Where is it? I am not familiar. You people seem to know all and we have been going for 20 years. I am humiliated. Did I walk past this place for years?

George

Where is it? I am not familiar. You people seem to know all and we have been going for 20 years. I am humiliated. Did I walk past this place for years?

George
Right by BAZ. About the only restaurant on the island I won't go back to...very pretentious. If you're walking on the street side, it's the building that has a window like a porthole.

George

George, it's had a number of names, concepts, and owners over the past 20+ years. Bagatelle is on the harbor, between the Gazebo and Baz Bar, and across the street from Sibarth. Other restaurants at that location have been Cabine Jaune/Gula Boden, L'Ocean, Buena Vista, La Vela, and Le Bistro. Prior to Bagatelle, there was talk of it being the new location for Pa Cri, but that deal never happened. It's been Bagatelle for about six years, probably the longest run of any restaurant at that location.

I remember eating Reindeer with a Lingonberry sauce there when it was Cabine Jaune (in French) and Gula Boden (in Swedish), with a Swedish Menu. When it was Le Bistro, I remember having a Salade Niçoise (traditional, with canned tuna) which the midges enjoyed more than I did. At La Vela, I overpaid for mediocre food and poor service. I don't remember dining at L'Ocean or Buena Vista, which tells me that I probably had grilled Mahi or Wahoo, both frequent choices for me on St Barth. Bagatelle has never appealed to me, and I've never dined there.

[We were in the restaurant in early August eating outside with the grandkids and the service, food and view were great. JC made us feel right at home. On other visits were have dropped in for a drink after dinner at the bar and enjoyed the music and enjoyed the people watching. It was great fun. You should try it.

. . . agree with a Pascal & Lance -- some very nice, early dinners there. Outside or inside near the open windows. Food has been very good, with attentive, professional service (remember, it's a small Caribbean island with young servers, not haute dining in a world culinary capital). I've also sometimes returned late in the evening to watch / hear the DJ "spin" action of young SBH friend, Julien O'Keefe, who is developing an impressive music reputation in New York & some major French, German, & UK venues.

Agree with Pascal & Lance. Our family enjoyed a nice, very early dinner there last year. We departed before any loud music was booming as experienced by others on the forum. We are early birds...

. . . I've also sometimes returned late in the evening to watch / hear the DJ "spin" action of young SBH friend, Julien O'Keefe, who is developing an impressive music reputation in New York & some major French, German, & UK venues.

Yes. “Julian OK” is his stage name. He seems to ‘commute’ from NY to Paris doing gigs.
Doing OK I’d say...