I've Decided To Go - For Thanksgiving

No popovers...

My overnights in SJU are truly about the popovers. I might do an occasional spin on a Roulette wheel too, and I have paid for a few Tradewind tickets that way. The popovers won't be available there for awhile, but I have the recipe, which BLT Steak freely gives out, and a popover pan. I'm a much better cook than I am a baker, but I may give it a try. Come to think of it, I think that I know someone who has a popover pan on SBH...

On my upcoming trip, I'm trying something completely different and transiting through Antigua. It's a new adventure, requiring multiple overnights, new hotels, new restaurants, and no advance knowledge of whether or not there will be popovers at all, let alone popovers to rival BLT Steak. I'm discovering that Antigua is an island with many all-inclusives, and many restaurants which require gentlemen to wear long trousers after 6PM.

I don't see anyone giving up. I see some postponements,but no one saying they are done with St Barths. There is no right or wrong here, Hopper. Every family has priorities and has to make decisions that are right for them at the time. I am sure they are sad, but I know they are coming back in a year or so. St Barths usually gets under your skin FOREVER!

Forever is right Amyb!!

Replying to Pietro1986 . . . just arrived earlier today, & couldn't agree more wholeheartedly about your assessment of the island today. I'll write more later about my impressions, but for the moment suffice it to say that, as you described, "the island is not devastated." As a matter of fact, in many respects I'm carried back to memories of 40 years ago!

I would like to reply to Pietro1986 too
I am not agree with him ..don't want to be rude ..but if you are here only since one week and found out st Barth is not" destroyed " it's because since one month their people are trying very hard to clean and make their life better after "Irma troma"
you was not there that day ..so you don't know
lucky you if you don't have no damage at your place
it's not the same for 70% of st Barth houses ..roofs are been repairs or still in renovations ...thanks God after one month the result is fantastic
the beaches are open, stores are open, restaurants are open
it's because hard workers

every body know me from this forum that I am a nice person ..and open my mouth only when necessary
so please a little respect

Believe me Rosita-we know how hard people are working to get the island cleaned up. Also know that we certainly do appreciate all the sweat and toil you are putting into fixing up the damaged properties.
Love and hugs and big thank yous to all who are working even when they think they can not do it anymore! St Barths rock....

Believe me Rosita-we know how hard people are working to get the island cleaned up. Also know that we certainly do appreciate all the sweat and toil you are putting into fixing up the damaged properties.
Love and hugs and big thank yous to all who are working even when they think they can not do it anymore! St Barths rock....
I agree with Amy. We never dreamed the island would be fit by Thanksgiving, but it is! Thanks to all the St Barths for the work.

Sounds like meeting for drinks somewhere to toast would be a good idea. As I mentioned, we arrive 12/1...

As a regular late August, and occasional October visitor, I remind myself that the island is always dead, this time of year. In August, it is rather surreal. So if the island seems dead, some of it is because it would be that way anyway. In a month or two we will have a better idea.
Without Nikki or Eden Rock, the biggest difference will be the type of visitors on the island. That lack of “vibe” is what will make it like 30 years ago.

Replying to Rosita. Hello Rosita, i would like to clarify some of my comments because i think you are misinterpreting what i wrote in response to Kevin's post.
My comments were aimed at portraying my view of the island as of October 15. I was positively surprised to see that the island is in its way to recovery and that some of Kevin's concerns i.e WiFi and food supply have been addressed fairly well by the collectivity.
My post implies that the reason why the island is in such state is because of all the hard work the good people of St Barth did and are currently doing. I never for a minute wanted to diminish the work that was done and if i came across that way i apologize for the lack of clarification.
But please read Kevin's initial post and you will understand why i felt the urgency to respond that way. You know that electricity, WiFi and basic services are fully restored in the island and i strongly believe that people should be made aware of the progress constantly. The more progress is reported the better chances people will come visit this season.

We are glad that you guys are coming back this year. SBH, Rosita and all others need our support. It seems SXM is coming back to life too, although it is like it was before the new building was built. Remember that old 1-level building (or was it few connected buildings?) with the rows of shops in the center. Here is the official tour of SXM outside facilities -

Any reports of progress is very good. I'm in Florida and we are still hearing that people up north are pushing back or changing their plans to come down here for the holiday season because of how devastated we are. I wish they knew how much the businesses and residents here want them to come on down. And we didn't get hit with anything close to what the islands got from Irma and Marie.

I don't see anyone giving up. I see some postponements,but no one saying they are done with St Barths. There is no right or wrong here, Hopper. Every family has priorities and has to make decisions that are right for them at the time. I am sure they are sad, but I know they are coming back in a year or so. St Barths usually gets under your skin FOREVER!

Youre absolutely right Amy! We had to make the heartbreaking decision to postpone our annual November trip, but primarily because Westjet has postponed flights to SXM until next spring. Buying another flight to San Juan and adding Tradewinds to the mix was just not in the cards for us.

But I've already been in touch with our villa owner and we're booked for our regular week next year.

I can't wait to read the on island reported as more people return. We will be there with a vengeance in November 2018!

Cheers,

Sheryl

Kevin
You ll do fine ...you guys know how to roll with whatever comes your way.....
I am going to really miss the long November weekend with you guys there like we did last year as that was the perfect elixir for me in my between high seasons time ...it broke my heart to have to cancel next month but it is what it is and that’s the way it goes ...there is always next November ....

Mike you are a quick healer. Quicker than I am for sure. And yes, there will be other trips and outings for you. Take care and keep enjoying all you do