check your reservations with American Airlines

bethwoff

SBH Insider
Many of us are playing the waiting game with pre-booked airline tickets for our winter trips to SBH. Despite SXM re-opening the airport, and a February departure, AA still cancelled our direct trip from CLT to SXM, routing us instead through Miami, waiting for hours, and finally getting into SXM late in the day - forcing a night's stay in SXM. NOT DOING THAT! I just re-booked CLT to SJU and then Tradewinds to SBH; we have wanted to try that for quite some time. Miraculously, AA owned up to the fact that our original flight plan was fully refundable since AA's changes added too many hours to our itinerary. I got a full refund, rather than having to pay a reschedule fee. I'm glad we waited to see how all this plays out with airports, airlines, etc. I'm writing to simply say check your flights regularly!! We never got an email, just a big surprise when we opened our AA account and discovered an itinerary that we couldn't even recognize. Trust no one!

Jet Blue changed my December flight as well, apparently with the SXM airport the way it is now there aren't enough gates for all the flights to land every day, so different airlines have been given slots on various days... at least that's Jet Blue's version of the cancellation to the day before, which is fine except I had to also change my winair flight with a 45 euro change fee...

I checked my AA reservations on Friday and they hadn’t changed. I checked today and they are substantially different. Thanks Beth for the heads up. I have some work to do.

I just changed some tickets with AA and was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was. I was concerned because I had to wait til the last minute while our owner assessed the damages and could give me a realistic date for us to come down. That happened yesterday, and we were due to fly Monday, but the AA rep took it in stride and worked out everything, including a change of destination from SXM to SJU. We now head down at the end of November.

Phil

The owner of "our" villa made the observation that because of the extensive property damage in St. Martin a number of airlines are going to be cancelling flights because
so many people will have to cancel their vacation in St. Martin. And not just Air France.

We had to postpone our early December trip because AA canceled our Charlotte flight and said we could go through Miami landing in SXM at 4:06 p.m. Too late. Was hoping to schedule a visit in March, but I guess the AA flights showing on their website are not necessarily a given at this time. Will look at SJU. Thank you for the heads up. P.S. We did not have any issues either getting a refund for the December trip.

My A/A flights through CLT to SXM for both our January and February trips have now been routed through Miami with the same issues as noted above. I had just checked them this past Friday.

Like Andy says, I've got some work to do.

I checked my AA reservations on Friday and they hadn’t changed. I checked today and they are substantially different. Thanks Beth for the heads up. I have some work to do.

Andy I just read AA has cancelled all flights to SXM from PHL JFK and CLT until April

indeed this is the latest airline update into SXM that American has suspended all flights into SXM except for 1 daily from Miami. This is a big capacity cut, but makes sense with the limited facilities SXM is working with. The late arrival (4:06pm) is also very problematic as if there is any delay out of Miami you are stuck in SXM which this winter is probably best avoided.

For the time being it looks like PHL/CLT and JFK resumptions are planned for April, but I wouldn't count on that 100%.

Hi from Bluffton, I too had tix for SXM & when called AA yet again, was told sked chg on 10/1 which was the date I called. Got same routing, no notice, forced overnite CLT at OUR expense not AA, with no protection for the next day flt to SAV, so total refund already on my credit card account. Rebooked & I ticketed for April. And for a cancelled by Windstar cruise in March, ship deployed elsewhere itinerary we didn't want, took another in/out SJU, actually got vouchers for lower fare biz class in April than March ! AA actually nice these 2 times, check & double check etc is a must !

Thanks for posting this...just saw it on an Anguilla site; and checked here....we also have AA reservations in February, and now have work to do, as Andy said. As we were going through CLt from NY as well.
Our daughter and her husband are joining us for a week; but they are coming from Denver...their trip to SBH is ok, through Miami, but now we will have to work on changing their return; and it’s a royal pain when you’re flying west.......ugh

We are flying from Detroit with son joining us from Philadelphia and his significant other from Chicago all flights are changed. A lot to figure out. Thank you for the heads up. We have a lot to figure out also.

I received an email today my AA April2 outbound flt(Mon) was rerouted thru MIA(was CLT). Amazingly, my daughter and her family arriving the next day stayed the same with thru CLT flt which arrives 115P, 2 hrs earlier than mine. I am hoping that this earlier arrival flt will be added back in Dec.
Otherwise I may press to reroute thru SJU and take Tradewinds for me and my wife.
We'll see......

Looking quickly this morning, I don't see CLT-SXM non-stops until April 3, which matches what you said.

Capture.JPG

Google. Google Flights is pretty interesting. Go to google.com and search for CLT to SXM Flights, and go from there. Playing around with it for a bit reveals some interesting features. It’s much more powerful than I expected for looking at flights from a high level.

Our flights were also changed to MIA but we were able to rebook through San Juan. First time with trade winds. No refund from win air but we can use it next year. Thanks for posting this so we could make the changes.

Yes they have me going thru Miami now getting in at 4. That’s no good. Coming home I get in after midnight. That’s worse.

Andy, check again!

I JUST got another flight change (Sunday night 10/22)which gets me into PHL THE NEXT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Overnight connection in MIA!!

I seriously have to cancel my trip. This was meant to be a quick 6 night stay.

My inbound flight was also moved further so that the arrival from MIA is now 4:45pm...so I might not even make the last ferry which I changed to when I knew I couldn't make my SBH commuter flight.

I'm so sad about this. SJU is not an option. The prices for Tradewinds for me are exorbitant.

Andy, check again!

I JUST got another flight change (Sunday night 10/22)which gets me into PHL THE NEXT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Overnight connection in MIA!!

I seriously have to cancel my trip. This was meant to be a quick 6 night stay.

My inbound flight was also moved further so that the arrival from MIA is now 4:45pm...so I might not even make the last ferry which I changed to when I knew I couldn't make my SBH commuter flight.

I'm so sad about this. SJU is not an option. The prices for Tradewinds for me are exorbitant.
I changed everything to AA/SJU and Tradewind /SBH.