Tour of Temporary Facilities at SXM

I do give them credit for what they have done! Will it work?

I give it a solid maybe, at least at first. It will work better for an incoming SBC or Winair flight than a big jet, especially if there is no big jet ahead of them.

Inbound, with apparently a single Immigration window, it may be lengthy. And warm. Outbound, it's going to get warm unless they can provide some kind of A/C. A handheld fan may come in handy. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...0HMK&rh=i:aps,k:handheld+fan+battery+operated

If I were transiting through SXM I would arrive there early, be prepared for a hard slog, and not count on the magic of in-transit or carry-on-only to make tight connections. VIP service is probably an unknown at this time.

SXM is making a great effort. I applaud what they've put together for tomorrow's reopening of commercial service, which has obviously taken a lot of planning and hard work. You can only work with what you've got for resources. It will be rocky at first. It will get better with time. If SXM fails as a tourism airport option then not only does any vestige of tourism to St Maarten/St Martin fail, but tourism to all of the surrounding islands fail along with them. They HAVE to make it work.

They're trying so hard. But definitely makes SJU/Tradewind more appealing for the time being.

More than ever, we will be relying on those on this forum
to share their experience traveling via SXM. Hopefully things will go as smoothly as they can under the circumstances in the coming months.

I connect through SXM a couple of times on my upcoming trip. I wonder if connecting passengers will have to leave the airport and then re-enter or if there is an area we can hang out in until the next flight. However it works I'll just plan to sit outside and have some water with me. I plan to just do a small carry-on bag for my trip to make that part easier.

I’m starting to have second thoughts about my already fully booked flights in February. I contacted Tradewind about our special needs. We’ll see.

I do wish them the best with the opening tomorrow 10/10. After watching the video I see the potential for all sorts of bottle necks and other problems but hopefully they'll be able to smooth them out once this new process is put into action. All the same I'm glad we moved our Nov trip to April 2018, giving them more time to iron out and improve this new set up.

not to knock the effort, but how this will work when 2 large jets arrive at same time, well we will see but I have my concerns, it's the Caribbean after all. I'd stick to SJU, ANU or PTP for now.

Could be similar to a Julianna Gate 10 experience, not so bad really. Where is Terrence Rey, btw? :)
Yes but Gate 10 was for Intransit only not for the regular passengers. I have seen an ad for Terrance so he is still around.

If I were transiting through SXM I would arrive there early, be prepared for a hard slog, and not count on the magic of in-transit or carry-on-only to make tight connections. VIP service is probably an unknown at this time.
Important advice, Kevin . . . much like the "good ol' days!" Re: VIP service . . . I'm confident that Premium IV -- with its Inimitable efficiency -- will soon find a way to resume its offerings of valuably provided assistance to impaired, weary, & simply confused passengers transiting at SXM. Vincent & Jim have masterfully negotiated bureaucracy & other obstacles for a long time, as many of us have appreciated.

I trust that they are doing "homework" right now and planning how to get their clients on track and on their way to St Barths. Vincent and James are so darn good at what they do!

Today was the 1st day of opening SXM commercially . Any reports how it went with the 1:00pm commercial flight arrival processing today?