Status of Juliana

andynap

Senior Insider
F82D1AE4-AECB-47C3-BBEA-FF1E269AC886.jpeg
770785FA-597E-479F-A200-F171618170D8.jpeg
2BCACDE8-2485-4E17-A68C-D62BD45010A4.jpeg
7A1DCCE5-C11F-4308-B9D1-05484A152A16.jpeg

A total joke that American is telling folks they are flying into SXM on October 1st.

If this isn't eye opening to folks hoping to use SXM for trips to SBH in the next three-six months, I dont' know what is. Given the situation in PR, connecting in San Juan is looking less and less likely also in the next few months.

Thank you for sharing, Andy. This explains why my early Dec flight was cancelled, and sadly anyone with a flight via SXM in the next 6 months should be prepared for the same.

While we all want to be optimistic, we must realize the reality on the ground is that it will take months and years, not weeks, to resume tourist operations in the area. I am broken hearted to not make my annual trip this year, but it is clearly far too soon for thousands of visitors to come.

Perhaps those who have planned trips this year could consider donating their budgeted spending to the recovery effort in lieu of visiting. That way we can still help the island but give the residents and businesses the time they need to recover. Just a thought.

Well written plan for execution. From my observations, building is slower on St. Maarten than on St. Barths. How could A/A plan to resume flights on October 1st ??? I can not see how even our A/A flight for October 28th can take place. Now, I am growing concerned for my United flight on January 6th.

Reality check. Thanks! Maybe the US based airlines can start getting real with their customers.
I think the airlines are waiting to see how many cancellations they get and the ticket holders are waiting to see if their flight is still on.

How did PTP fare? Looks like this is the airport that will be the primary gateway to SBH for the next while. Sucks for US folks as USA - PTP flight options are very limited. Us Canadians have a frequent, long running flight from Montreal to PTP at least :(

If no one can get to the Islands in general, how will any island economy survive without tourist traffic? I am holding AA tickets for early February, and have read (obviously not true) reports that SXM would be open for commercial service "very soon". This airport, and SJU, are the life-line for the islands, SBH in particular. Does anyone have a suggested alternate route from Charlotte or the east coast in general? Saba? St. Kitts? Even those flights refuel in SJU when they return to the States. That doesn't look like it's happening either, considering Puerto Rico's dire situation.

I have AA tickets for early February too and I think SXM will be open for flights by then. The terminal may not be totally usable but the island can’t afford not to fix the airport for traffic sooner than later.

I agree, Andy. I sympathize with SXM---they worked hard to make Juliana a much nicer airport...and they were justifiably proud of it. However, I am sure many of us recall the days when there were no fly bridges, when the baggage was thrown in a heap on the terminal floor, when most of the terminal was not air-conditioned, etc. It does not have to be returned to luxury status to be functional. I'll bet they get it back to a functioning state with a working control tower ASAP. As far as where visitors will stay on St. Maarten, well that is another matter...

Spoke to American today regarding our Oct 15th flight MIA to SXM. They say it is still a go! Hard to believe after the Herald article..

We are the same as Andy- February tickets but thru Puerto Rico. We are hanging in there with fingers and toes crossed! Now we have learned though that even though there is electricity to most parts of the island, many villas are still without power because transformer boxes are blown and are in long cues to be replaced. And there is not ample lumber on the island to make the needed repairs. Needless to say not enough electricians and carpenters as well.