Rental vehicles

andynap

Senior Insider
With all the interest centered on villas , hotels, restaurants and flights I haven’t heard anything about the availability of rental cars so I emailed Gumbs the other day with no response and I also emailed Wimco and PIV. I’m waiting for an answer. Without a rental car I can’t go. I’ll let everyone know what I find out.

I just heard back from Wimco. They say that although some cars were damaged they don’t expect any problems finding vehicles. I’m not surprised I haven’t heard back from Gumbs. I doubt if there are any tourists on the island renting cars yet.

Keep in mind-the electricity is not fully back. Location matters for internet connectivity too.

Anecdotally speaking, something that I have really only noticed in recent days is that there are a lot of damaged cars here. Broken windows covered seems to be the style of the season. Grills & bumpers blown off many cars. Large dents from projectiles, etc.

Personally, my car survived but I did lose the radio antenna trying to navigate the debris covered roads immediately after the storm. With all the rumble on the roads at that time, I would guess there was some flat tires too.

Rental cars are in use but not so much by tourist but rather as replacements (perhaps paid for by insurance?) for local residents who obviously lost their vehicles.

It wouldn't shock me if 50% of the cars on the island suffered damage. So, yes, it is possible that it may be more difficult than usual to secure a rental car. But of course, that is also dependent on other factors such as tourist demand, speed of replacement/repairs, etc.

Personally, I believe that there are already far too many cars clogging the roads here so I would love it if the damaged cars were shipped off never to return. But given the nature of business on this island that is clearly a pipe dream. Instead, they will probably all be replaced with upgrades such as larger SUVs. Ugh.

As a visitor to the island I would not have rented a car if there was some form of getting around(small trolley service, van, uber,etc.) without one. Even walking or bicycle isn't the greatest of options on tight curvy roads, especially at night. Doubt the rental car companies want it but doesn't hurt for island residents to make a push for some other options for tourists to get around that doesn't add more cars to the tight roads. I know I would have gladly used transportation rather than a rental car. Rental car just seems like a waste for a lone traveler like myself.

As a visitor to the island I would not have rented a car if there was some form of getting around

I don't think that you are alone in this regard. My gut feeling is that most tourist have little interest in driving a car here. They'd rather have a "license to drink" than a "license to drive".

Unfortunately, the rental car business has deep roots here and will resist change. Until we get to the type of gridlock that Bermuda once experienced (and forced their hand to make changes for the sanity of that island), I don't see the political situation here opening up to alternatives.

Agree 100% - the car traffic on SBH prior to Irma was getting crazy - I'm with you guys - if there was a easy to use, viable alternative I would totally use it - how much time of our vacation do we actually use the car? Let's be honest, we just use it for beaching, Marche runs and trips into Gustavia, therefore plugging up the streets. How great would it be to order a quick car with your phone?

Trolleys wouldn't work due to the topography, why doesn't an entrepreneur bring over a small fleet of electric cars and drivers and offer an on demand (Le Uber St Barth?) to pick up at hotels and villas with a circle to beaches, shopping and town? Imagine you can have more than 1 drink at Bonito without worrying about driving at night. I would use it instead of renting for sure...

I don't think that you are alone in this regard. My gut feeling is that most tourist have little interest in driving a car here. They'd rather have a "license to drink" than a "license to drive".

Unfortunately, the rental car business has deep roots here and will resist change. Until we get to the type of gridlock that Bermuda once experienced (and forced their hand to make changes for the sanity of that island), I don't see the political situation here opening up to alternatives.

Agree 100% - the car traffic on SBH prior to Irma was getting crazy - I'm with you guys - if there was a easy to use, viable alternative I would totally use it - how much time of our vacation do we actually use the car? Let's be honest, we just use it for beaching, Marche runs and trips into Gustavia, therefore plugging up the streets. How great would it be to order a quick car with your phone?

Trolleys wouldn't work due to the topography, why doesn't an entrepreneur bring over a small fleet of electric cars and drivers and offer an on demand (Le Uber St Barth?) to pick up at hotels and villas with a circle to beaches, shopping and town? Imagine you can have more than 1 drink at Bonito without worrying about driving at night. I would use it instead of renting for sure...
Someone tried small buses but the taxi drivers literally drove the
buses out of town.

I used Minicab in March; they aren't electric, but it was nice to be able to call and have them pick us up whenever. They were also very good at replying to emails.....they were sort of the "Uber" company on the island , available 24-7.
I hope they are ok after the hurricane, and continue with business, I think if more people were aware of their services, they would be a great asset.

Linda- anything that jeopardizes the taxis is going to have a hard time succeeding. It was tried a couple of years ago and died. Now is the time that taxis are needed if there is a dearth of rental cars.

I'd be ok with Taxi but I heard it was a horrible time to get a hold of them and had to plan out trips. That's fine going to a bar a night but the uncertainty of having a way to get home later in the evening is not ideal. Not St Barts but I've had Taxi issues in bigger cities without uber where it would be an hour wait for a taxi and some just never would come at all. Sucks being stranded after you've had a few drinks and its getting late.

If you tell the driver when to pick you up I hear that works pretty good. Several posters here have reported good results with that.

That's why there is a need for a company such as Mini Cab .....Andy, we stayed in a villa in March where the owners husband (who had passed away) was, for many many years a cab driver on SBH.
There were severa; Mini Cab business cards right on the desk by the door. I think there is room for both.

I am slightly surprised that Uber has not taken off here given how many people here have cars, smartphones, and are often driving alone. Plus it is some extra cash on an expensive island.

St Barth taxis are a difficult group of people here. Very protective of their turf.

In my utopia vision of St Barth, there would be ample taxis (more like NYC than France) available to quickly move people about the various hot spots of the island. I would trim rental car industry by about 80%. Add sidewalks & paths to improve walking conditions for the hardy souls that choose that option. A modest bus system circulating between Gustavia, St Jean,etc with stops by beaches could also be a reasonable & affordable option.

Eventually some of this will happen but I would bet the traffic jams become much worst before the political will arrives to make hard changes for improvement.

It was tried a couple of years ago and died.
Funny story about the bus experiment, Andy! During that brief period, a couple of friends & I went to the Yacht Club after dinner . . . they wanted to leave while I was visiting with some friends, so I confidently said, "Don't worry -- I'll take the bus." WELL . . . it turns out that you couldn't get on the bus (& I even knew the driver, one of the owners of the venture!) without a ticket purchased at one of a small number of outlets, all of which were only open during daylight hours! The result was that I had a very sobering, late evening walk from Gustavia to Lorient, where some nice Americans staying at The Guanahani offered me a ride to Marigot Bay. Of course, it was the taxi "lobby" that limited ticket sales . . . and I doubt that their tight-fisted grip on island commutes will loosen any time soon.

THIS!!!!!! -----> "I am slightly surprised that Uber has not taken off here given how many people here have cars, smartphones, and are often driving alone. Plus it is some extra cash on an expensive island."

you would think the locals would love to make the extra money, especially considering what just happened with less cars on island...

As for the Taxis - of course they will be pissed off (this is happening in every single city where Uber operates) but hell either deal, adapt or die I say - lets bring Uber to SBH!

I am slightly surprised that Uber has not taken off here given how many people here have cars, smartphones, and are often driving alone. Plus it is some extra cash on an expensive island.

St Barth taxis are a difficult group of people here. Very protective of their turf.

In my utopia vision of St Barth, there would be ample taxis (more like NYC than France) available to quickly move people about the various hot spots of the island. I would trim rental car industry by about 80%. Add sidewalks & paths to improve walking conditions for the hardy souls that choose that option. A modest bus system circulating between Gustavia, St Jean,etc with stops by beaches could also be a reasonable & affordable option.

Eventually some of this will happen but I would bet the traffic jams become much worst before the political will arrives to make hard changes for improvement.

Personally, I want a vehicle always and not a taxi or Uber. My day starts at 6am on St Barths with a trip to the bakery or the wharf for some fish. Then back to the Villa for a walk down the hill and a stroll around Gustavia with my bride. After breakfast it's off to the beach till about 2 or 3. Then lounge around the pool, drink way too much Goose or Red and then either BBQ, cook in or walk down the hill yet again to one of the many restaurants there. Bed by 9 or 10 pm...SAD eh? On a day of no libations then we like to drive around a bit, go out to a restaurant not in Gustavia, or whatever. If we have to wait on a taxi or shuttle to get us around I'm afraid St Barths will be history for us. Yes, the Island needs fewer cars (which I think they can control) but what they really need is fewer hotels and billion dollar Villas that never get used! There are enough hotels already and more hotels means most likely more cars. Development needs more control and soon. They also need to get rid of those noisy, stinking ATVs!! Why were they ever allowed on the Island to begin with? There's no moose hunting on St Barths! They also don't need those really inappropriate, huge SUVs. Come on, what idiot needs to drive that around St Barths!