Island news

I don’t want to be Debbie Downer, but their report o. Puerto Rico omits minor details like there’s no food, no water, no gas, a cerfew, and the fact that 95% of the island has no power.

While nothing they report is untrue, they sure do leave out a lot of very important details. One wonders how overly optimistic and rosey they are about other islands?

I don’t want to be Debbie Downer, but their report o. Puerto Rico omits minor details like there’s no food, no water, no gas, a cerfew, and the fact that 95% of the island has no power.

While nothing they report is untrue, they sure do leave out a lot of very important details. One wonders how overly optimistic and rosey they are about other islands?
Agree the airport has no AC and most shops (food) are closed. If you look at the daily flight board most flights in and out are cancelled. It’s nice to see the flights down are carrying supplies. But with little news the people don’t even know how to get out. Told 2 friends who live there that the airport was open. They thought it was closed.

I don’t want to be Debbie Downer,

You are not a Debbie Downer. It has been clear during recent weeks that travel industry professionals are not a reliable source of reportage because they leave out a lot of nuance regarding the situation.

For example, one might say that electricity has returned to St Barts. In a broad sense that is true, many now have their lights on again at home & work. But the more nuanced picture is that the electrical system has not been permanently repaired but rather jerry-rigged with temp solutions. Many telephones poles were knocked down so, for the present, overhead electrical wires are hanging from tree branches or taped up to existing poles.

As repair crews continue to fully repair the system in coming months, there will likely be some intermittent localized outages. Additionally, it should be obvious that such a band-aid remains vulnerable to further outage from even a minor rain storm. The electricity is back, yes, but the system remains fragile and this state will persist for weeks if not months yet.

Bottom line, take the "good news" with a grain of salt.

what Wimco is doing is called "spin" - obviously only mentioning the positives and leaving out the negatives. I'm sorry but considering its only been a few weeks and hasn't been fully assessed - I'd say its almost unethical for them to make it sound like all is ok. As survivor nicely mentioned many times, as someone on the ground, things are NOT OK.
Bigger Question - what is WIMCO doing to aid the locals, from whom they make so much money? Besides sending out updates.

PR is indeed a devastated island, and to spin it otherwise is horrible (i'd stay away from SJU for a while as well considering the locals need those flights!!!!): https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...o-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

On a news program this morning, a tourist in the San Juan airport said she was told there may not be flights for her until October. I can't imagine how stressful it must be for people who need to return to family and work as well as the those who lost everything in Puerto Rico.

As survivor nicely mentioned many times, as someone on the ground, things are NOT OK.

Careful there. Judging whether things are "ok" or "not ok" is not my intention. I'm simply trying to add some of the nuance of the situation that tends to be glossed over in some of the reports & rumours.

It is easy to state that "electricity is back" or that "restaurants & grocery stores are open" and to be accurate in the broadest sense. But you also have to ask, for example, Is there a new telephone pole or is the wire taped to a tree branch? or Yes, restaurant or grocery is open but do they have any food?

It is a mess here and it will take time to recover. Things are fragile and we remain vulnerable to more storms or catastrophes (of whatever nature they might be). At some point the recovery will be enough to satisfy most visitors. But as of Sept 27th, we are clearly not there yet and it remains uncertain exactly when that point will be reached. Blanket statements & pronouncements that imply all is back to near-normal are not helpful to anybody.

On a news program this morning, a tourist in the San Juan airport said she was told there may not be flights for her until October. I can't imagine how stressful it must be for people who need to return to family and work as well as the those who lost everything in Puerto Rico.

At the risk of sounding like an a**, that is exactly the reason that I wouldn't advise any body to travel to these islands during peak hurricane season (August–mid-October). Unless you have a desire to get stuck in a disaster zone the risk just aren't worth the discounted travel & hotel fares.

we still have no landline and no wi-fi at the house, so for someone who works online all day that is not ok, which means I stay in NYC rather than go home.... but it's all relative, I am lucky to have that option and it is of small consequence compared to those who lost their roof and everything under it... especially on other islands!

Ellen, we did hear that Lurin as of last night has electricity. I don't know how it works up there, but that sure is helpful to the folks living up there. Temporary band aids or new lines? Can't say because I do not know the details.
I hope your area lights up soon!

It is easy to state that "electricity is back"

survivor -

Question. Noticed that the webcam looking over St Jean (toward Eden Rock) is VERY dark at night (pretty much only headlights). Is this because of lack of electricity or just lack of occupancy?

"YES - We should not be reporting on Puerto Rico - We only have relations on Airport Matters there. I'll get that taken down - The other
island reports are coming directly from our contacts on those islands, or in some cases from Government organs, and in some cases through reputable press. I would say that a solid 75% is coming from Property Managers, owners, local suppliers and people we know or who know us. I'd like to believe they are indeed accurate based on what we are told. I apologize for the Puerto Rico info. "

"YES - We should not be reporting on Puerto Rico - We only have relations on Airport Matters there. I'll get that taken down - The other
island reports are coming directly from our contacts on those islands, or in some cases from Government organs, and in some cases through reputable press. I would say that a solid 75% is coming from Property Managers, owners, local suppliers and people we know or who know us. I'd like to believe they are indeed accurate based on what we are told. I apologize for the Puerto Rico info. "
Thank you on behalf of,Wimco.

survivor -

Question. Noticed that the webcam looking over St Jean (toward Eden Rock) is VERY dark at night (pretty much only headlights). Is this because of lack of electricity or just lack of occupancy?

Firstly, I can confirm that it is very dark here after sunset in Saint-Jean and elsewhere (even Gustavia). It is difficult to attribute exactly why because it seems to be combination of factors. It is my understanding that electricity is back in many places. However, you should also know that, for example, basically all street lights are broken. Pole blew over, bulbs shattered, etc. This makes the roads dark. Many homes also have broke bulbs, especially on the exterior. At my place, for just one example, electricity returned yesterday but when I flipped the switch to illuminate the terrace it promptly shorted out. Apparently there was water in the fixture that I didn't realize.

Occupancy is also a factor. The island is darker even during a normal September because most rental villas are boarded up. Additionally, many of the island residents who work in tourist industries are enjoying the off time by traveling off-island for vacations, visiting family in France or Portugal, etc. Now factor in the damage of Irma which has rendered some homes uninhabitable and, yeah, it is dark here.

Thankfully, the darkness isn't aiding a crime spree. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend going out for a walk at night. Not because of crime issues but because there is still quite a bit of debris around that one could trip on.

Ellen, we did hear that Lurin as of last night has electricity. I don't know how it works up there, but that sure is helpful to the folks living up there. Temporary band aids or new lines? Can't say because I do not know the details.
I hope your area lights up soon!

we have electricity and running water, just no telephone service - landline that is - which means no Wi-Fi... hope that comes back soon...

glad to hear Lurin now has lights!

Peg or her crew at SBP are being all rosy about how perfect island is for upcoming season on Facebook! Will folks paying good money to visit severely damaged island not be unlikely to trust in future! We were unpleasantly deceived about recovery of SXM AFTER LUIS! Hard to trust those who fib for personal gain!