October and November

Just received a note from St. Barth's Blue, who we booked with this time. They have informed us that all reservations through October 31 are cancelled, with full refund. Reservations after October 31 may still be cancelled on further notice. They are not taking reservations on future dates at this time. I never thought I would ever think that this sort of message would be a relief, but it is. Now to deal with Delta and SB Commuter!

Maria,
i just wrote a rather long note of apology that apparently didn't post. I was able to rebook with AA from Miami nonstop to SXM. I also rebooked my friends on Air Caraibes from Orly to SXM. Still waiting for 24 hours Sprint and Air France canceled. We are playing on arriving on October 28. We may be there a bit early, but I hope I'm not in the way.
Kathy (thanks for the Aa tip)

We also have plans to visit St. Barts in December. We just heard from our rental agent and our villa is ok. It's in Columbier. Our agent said that in the last 2 weeks the progress on the island has been remarkable. We are worried about getting there, too. We fly from Newark
to SXM and then Winair to the island. I've read that many airlines aren't charging fees for changing flights, but I haven't checked yet.
Maddy

Our stay of Oct 15 thru Nov 15 has just been cancelled. Not sure if we should put the effort into seeking alternatives or just postpone for 2018... If anyone has a reasonable rental for these dates please advise with pm. tysm

Nobody should feel guilty or attempt to persuade others to keep their plans in the name of loyalty etc. The decision is a personal one and whatever one decides is the correct one on when to go or not go.

Just an FYI. My daughter's trip is off . They were due October 22. AA did not refund their flights, but gave them "credit" . Wimco generously is refunding their villa in full, although it sustained no damage. Yea Wimco! They will use their AA tix and will go to Carmel and Big Sur, CA and will come back to St Barth for their honeymoon.

They have picked a beautiful destination. However, a big landslide makes North South on the Pacific Coast Highway impassible near there.

In the Carmel area I recommend the Tickle Pink Inn. What a spot. Right on PC1 overlooking the ocean.

I was told today by someone I trust more than anyone who has a business on AXA she was on phone all day trying to get a friend a flight off the island and was told all commercial flights in and out of SXM have been cancelled through Oct 28th. Time will tell

The small airport at Grand Case in St Martin is open now, so people from SXM can get off the island that way....depends where they are going of how to create an itinerary...

We were scheduled for November 10-19, but because of airline difficulties....were issued a full refund on Delta. But, we will return in February!
St Barths Strong :)

Many Thanks Amy, I will let them know. And especially about the Tickle Pink Inn! Our daughter has St Barth in her heart, after many times with us. Can't wait for her to experience it with her soon to be husband!

Hello Luvtocook,
Friends own a nice restaurant in Carmel; check it out "Baja Cantina"
Nice food and atmosphere
Bob

Re: advice of SBH rental agencies, some may find the following to be interesting: Though Villa CEC sustained relatively minor damage, Sibarth advised guests scheduled to arrive in mid-October -- who still were eager to come -- that their travel should be postponed because the "island will not be not ready to receive guests." I think the advice was correct, & these clients have re-scheduled in the Spring. Other reservations, on the other hand, are being confirmed for November . . . which seems to be emerging as a "tipping point" for island recovery to be sufficient to support tourism.

I agree Thomasj with your perspective. We are booked for our annual visit in early April for 2 weeks. However, I am somewhat hesitant to buy into the positivity being projected with respect to the degree of restorations going on in SBH. I am confident that come April the hard working crews will have things in most Villas back in shape. The beauty of the Island landscape however is another story. Same for a number of hotels and restaurants. St Barths takes a good chunk of our vacation budget. When you're dealing in $CAN it makes SBH a pretty costly place. We are OK with that however because of the absolute fondness we have for this island. We will travel to no other Caribbean destination as we have found our paradise. We sure hope that those who are assessing the infrastructure, the Villas, the beaches and the landscape are being completely honest in their views. One thing about the Forumn is that you get a wide variety of comments that for the most part are upfront and honest. If we have to defer a year so be it. More time for skiing!

Thanks again Bob and Amy. Will pass on the recommendations! St Barth was going to hold the proposal, but now it's a done deal!! St Barth is now the official honeymoon destination!

I am somewhat hesitant to buy into the positivity being projected with respect to the degree of restorations going on in SBH. St Barths takes a good chunk of our vacation budget. When you're dealing in $CAN it makes SBH a pretty costly place. We are OK with that however because of the absolute fondness we have for this island!

Thanks for posting this Canuck. We just made the difficult decision to postpone our regularly scheduled November trip. We are in Toronto so flight options are somewhat limited - we had flights booked on Westjet through SXM - so we decided to forego a trip in November and re-booked to Grand Cayman in January. The Westjet agent said that she didn't anticipate Westjet flying to SXM until next spring.

So as much as we're going to sorely miss our trip this year, I believe it is the right decision - give everyone a chance to work through this trauma and be ready to welcome visitors again.

But rest assured we will be back next November!,

Sheryl & Rob

Chazzy, where in grand cayman in addition to a few other islands now. I have been looking at the Westin and Seafire. The Westin was just remodeled and seafire appears to be new

The new Margaritaville Resort just opened and looks great. I stayed there 15 years ago when it was the Treasure Island Resort...Great location Mid 7 mile beach.....