New Flamands Beach Pictures

crescentbeach

SBH Insider
I just received these, they came from a friend who got them from someone she knows who rents at the west end of Flamands.

IMG_1821.PNGIMG_1822.PNGIMG_1823.PNG

The renters are from Canada, I don't know if they are on the island now or these pictures were sent to them. I still can't get over the palms, makes me sick. It looks like the privacy walls between the villas came down easily.

I believe that whether the palms (& other vegetation) re-grow is largely depended on the salt of Hurricane-carried seawater being washed away . . . which the rains of Maria probably were helpful in doing.

That is so sad. We are booked for the villa on the right (Green roof) in the last photo for early December. All of the trees, privacy, shade and beauty are totally gone, such a shame. Hope they can get the palms back - thoughts are with the owners during this tough time.

Thanks for the photos...
Honestly,it looks rather good.Seems odd to say that...but clean up the mess,massively water the palm trees and the coconut tree and buy new small bushes for privacy,add another layer of paint.
Houses don't seem that damaged.I bet many of them will be available for winter rentals.
I am stunned so much of the beach is still there.
(island also needs lots of rain for those hills...This brown color is just ugly)

That is so sad. We are booked for the villa on the right (Green roof) in the last photo for early December. All of the trees, privacy, shade and beauty are totally gone, such a shame. Hope they can get the palms back - thoughts are with the owners during this tough time.

This is perhaps an apples and oranges comparison (or apples and peaches), but in early summer one of my peach trees suffered from something called peach leaf curl and lost most of its leaves. But after a dose of fertilizer, it grew them back in a week or two. Hopefully the local trees can do something similar.

I stayed in the villa on the left in the first picture (with the green roof). It's called Villa do Dragon. Unfortunately it appears as if that villa is not going to be occupied anytime soon (my opinion based upon the pictures). What looks like a canopy was actually a wall of sliding glass doors that made it's way into a dining/kitchen area. It looks like the doors, dining area and kitchen is gone. Behind this area was a living area with a 1/2 bath. In the back were two bedrooms with two bathrooms.

I don't see any of these items being replaced quickly.

I know someone on here was planning on renting this in early November. Sorry to say that you should be making other plans.

What looks like a canopy was actually a wall of sliding glass doors that made it's way into a dining/kitchen area. It looks like the doors, dining area and kitchen is gone.

We too have stayed in the VDD and have reservations for next May. Wife and I are speculating, maybe optimistically, that the missing shutters and windows look a bit "clean" and maybe their removal is part of the restoration. I'm amazed that the yellow villa next door seems so "intact", even the lacy roof trim.

I too am amazed at the villa next door to VDD, but if I remember correctly that villa was a few feet higher than VDD (even though the picture doesn't look like it). I think you are being very optimistic. I agree that the picture is "clean" but also no furnishings can be seen on the inside. I speculate that maybe the damaged items have been disposed of as the owner tries to start repairs.

No fence. Here's a cropped panorama from the beach I took a few years ago. Compare to the pictures at the top of the post.

FlamandVilla-Panorama.jpg

andynap, a fence in the front of VDD, as in on the beach? No at least not when I was there. There were palm trees and scrub brush between the villa and the beach, but no fence.

andynap, a fence in the front of VDD, as in on the beach? No at least not when I was there. There were palm trees and scrub brush between the villa and the beach, but no fence.
Ah- maybe not being able to see the villas from the beach led me to think there was a fence. It’s been awhile since I was down there.

The yellow villa in the first pic looks like it may be Les Raisiniers...I remember the lacy roof edge...the owner emailed me that the villa was still intact, but the deck and garden area destroyed...he was very positive though about the rebuilding of the island.

The yellow villa in the first pic looks like it may be Les Raisiniers....

In the first photo the yellow one is Villa Beach House (FAY). At the left is the VDD (where we've stayed) then heading towards La Langouste is a (now deforested) empty lot (with a single palm in the photo), a residence and then Les Raisiners. Here's a FB page grab of the residence with Les Raisiners figuring prominently. Looks fairly intact from this angle.

21430520_10155704693962250_1177591681343157597_n.jpg

Ah, thanks for the direction...the steps didn't look like the ones to les Raisiniers so wasn't sure...yikes, those poor palm trees!

...the owner emailed me that the villa was still intact, but the deck and garden area destroyed...he was very positive though about the rebuilding of the island.

Thank you "bto" for conveying the owner information about Raisiniers. And thank you PeterLynn for the picture.

My wife and two girls have it booked in mid June next year. The picture and the owner's statement gave us a smile. <<crossing fingers>>

It's also great to see that Rayon de Soleil is still intact. I love that villa.

I hope we can still go to help support the island. I haven't been able to visit in 15 years and I miss her.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting those pictures of Flamands!! As difficult as it is to view those and so many other pictures of devastation, I am personally SO happy and relieved to see that the adorable cottage that we stay at each March, Rayon de Soleil, is still there! A little battered but thankfully standing strong...the family that owns that little fisherman's cottage certainly knew how to build to withstand the elements! I pray they will be able to refurbish...for them, and for all of us who have the privilege of staying there.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting those pictures of Flamands!! As difficult as it is to view those and so many other pictures of devastation, I am personally SO happy and relieved to see that the adorable cottage that we stay at each March, Rayon de Soleil, is still there! A little battered but thankfully standing strong...the family that owns that little fisherman's cottage certainly knew how to build to withstand the elements! I pray they will be able to refurbish...for them, and for all of us who have the privilege of staying there.
I have stayed at Rayon de Soleil. Which picture shows it?