Sticking with our Nov 28 - Dec 5th Trip

I have insurance that I purchased through SBP when I submitted my villa payment this past March. I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to use and hopefully I don't have to. Our trip is currently scheduled for the end of January so we have time to figure things out. I just don't want to pull the trigger too fast.

I have insurance that I purchased through SBP when I submitted my villa payment this past March. I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to use and hopefully I don't have to. Our trip is currently scheduled for the end of January so we have time to figure things out. I just don't want to pull the trigger too fast.
AA offered an insurance policy thru Allianz Global when I booked. My trip isn't until February but I'm not too sure about the villa's condition until I hear from Wimco. If I can't get that villa I'll get my money back so no loss there. SB Commuter is a different story as is AA. If they are flying into SXM and SBH I may have a problem if I'm not going. It will be interesting to see if I'm entitled to collect anything from Allianz.

We have confirmed that our villa is in good repair and has electricity, so we're going to try to keep our Oct 29-Nov 8 reservation. As we all realize, this is dependent on getting flights in. AA has not cancelled anything yet - in fact, they still maintain that the return flight is so fully booked that they can't give me a seat assignment (snort). Fingers crossed!!!!

We are planning our October 28 - November 5 trip. The inside of Villa is fine and Libby is coming down this week with 2 containers to fix flaura and some roof tile and gutter work. We are meeting friends coming from Paris on Air France and we hopefully won't have problems flying from Ft. lauderdale to SXM. I hope we are not being too optimistic as most people are indicating late November trips.

We are booked for March with air thru SJU/Tradewinds. Condition of our villa rental in Gustavia through Wimco is unknown at this point. We are hosting another couple so a rental car shortage would be an additional problem. Time will tell.

Hello Joyce & Katmcp,
Anita and I arrive the same day to SXM from Washington, DC. We are scheduled to take SBC to paradise island. Please share any news you find out. Looking forward to putting a face with the names. Hoping for good news on the flight and rental car scene.
Bob

Looking forward to meeting you. Just leery about Sprint cancelling, but i could possibbly figure out another way through AA. We are excited about the trip. We're staying in Columbier and waiting to head an update from Libby on her villa who is presently on her way to complete repairs which she said are minor.

My wife and I are still planning on making our Nov 30th - Dec 9 trip but the following things worry me:

1. Will American still fly to SXM on a Thursday? In past years, that flight has always been fully booked so that's a good sign, but the condition of SXM may cause many cancelations.
2. Will Le Village be able to accommodate for Thursday and Friday nights?
3. Will our villa be able to accommodate us for the week?

I'm not too worried about the SBC flight or rental car, or the imperfect condition of the island when we get there, but will we be able to get there at all on American?!?

As others have noted, my biggest worry is we won't know until just before the trip if our flights are canceled. I hope that's not the case, but it's the airline industry we're talking about here so I'm expecting the worst.

We're in a similar boat with our upcoming trip. But I do think that the airlines will consolidate flights ahead of time. Cancellations would be more costly than rebooking in advance and profit is their motivation. You're correct that current dates may not be available so we may need to adjust.
We got tentative good news on our villa but are awaiting inspection by the agency. Time will tell.

Doctin,
What, if any, have you heard from Le Village about their damage status that you are confident you are going late November....We have heard nothing from them yet and have reservations in March...

SXM will be back up, WinAir will be running as well. If I have ti change flights I will. Here is a message I got from Le Village:

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Clarkson,

Thanks a lot for your kind message.

Le Village did relatively OK compared to many other hotels on the beach and just generally on the island! We lost one roof, meaning this specific cottage will have to be entirely rebuild
Many fences, gutters are gone, our fitness center is lost; Some windows blew away;
Villa Catherine and Villa Iguana are fine!
The gardens are non existent! Lots of cleaning at the moment… then we will start rebuilding, even prettier for you!
At this point, we still have not evaluated the entire amount of damages occurred to Le Village.

Be assured that The Charneau’s will do everything possible to recover quickly and to welcome you back next November-December!

We feel strong that St Barth will recover, the people of this island are amazing, trust me on this one!

AA policy I think is another destination w/in 300 miles from the original, how many air miles between SXM & BGI ? Good luck !

Nancy - AA got us to St. Lucia using the 300 mile radius. That's probably as close as you might get BGI. Liat has flights to all the islands nearby. Hope this helps.

Charlotte

Thank you for posting your reply from Le Village, Doctin...good news!!!
we see our villa is okay!!!
assuming we will hear from them later as we don't go till March...

I hate to be negative but given the reports it seems that very few of the resorts in SXM will be open - that is if the Forbes article is accurate. Therefore who is going to be on the planes going from North America to SXM if there are no resorts open on SXM? A few of us going to SBH? One would have to expect that the vast majority of flights to SXM will not take place until late 2018.

FYI here is the Forbes update on SXM resorts:
ST. MAARTEN / ST.MARTIN
Beach Plaza- Badly damaged
Esmeralda Resort- Almost 70% destroyed
Hotel Mercure- Damaged
Grand Case Beach Club- Severe damage and will not open until 2018
Oyster Bay Beach Resort: Significant damage was reported
Riu Palace St. Martin: Infrastructure is severely affected.
Sonesta: Resort damage is severe. All further reservations from now through the end of 2017 have been canceled.
Westin Dawn Beach: Significant damage was reported

I hate to be negative but given the reports it seems that very few of the resorts in SXM will be open - that is if the Forbes article is accurate. Therefore who is going to be on the planes going from North America to SXM if there are no resorts open on SXM? A few of us going to SBH? One would have to expect that the vast majority of flights to SXM will not take place until late 2018.

That's my big worry too.

Grand Case Beach Club- Severe damage and will not open until 2018

I always scratch my head when I see descriptions like this. There's a big window between Jan 1 and Dec 31 2018!!

Waynek,

I completely understand what you are saying and many others on the forum do as well. Flying into SXM is not my main concern (and I have yet to reach out to my agency about my villa). However, I do believe there will be some demand for SXM even though it is damaged. People live on the island and will more than likely need to travel at some point. Villa owners are going to need to oversee reconstruction. Currently JB runs 2 flights direct from Boston to SXM on Saturday. Those flights could be combined with ones from JFK or even Miami. Would require those traveling from Boston to have a layover but it is possible.

If there are no flights into SXM then WinAir and SBC are going to have to figure something out. They can't say "Well, you missed your flight thanks for the cash" to thousands of people over months, that is not a good business model. If that happens, then I will be sure to never fly them again. I understand that it's not their fault, but at some point they are going to need to accommodate their customers.

In the end, I believe the major airlines are going to figure it out and then we will follow, more than likely, though SXM (if that was were you were going initially).

Look on the bright side, SXM should be a breeze now.

On a side note, my first trip to SBH was in Oct of 2011 and we flew through SXM on a Thursday. The place was empty, we were one of maybe 50 people in the airport, and it was great.

All things staying the same, if our reservations stick with AA from EWR to SXM and then also WinAir back and forth, then we are staying the course with our 10th trip to SBH.

We have reservations at Le Village St. Jean and a car rental. This is 2.5 months away. There may be many issues still, but the water will be blue and the rhum delish. Strong island. Looking forward to it.

Very happy we made the decision to stay the course and make our way back down for this trip. The net/net is that the island is still
beautiful and the people are so warm and happy to see people returning. The island has it's scars from Irma, but time is healing and
restoring the natural beauty. There are many buildings that need work, but the water is blue, the rhum is delish, the food is amazing as
usual, and the authentic St. Barts spirit is present and palpable.

Fun first day. Looking forward to the next 6 days.

Doctin...
How did the property at Le Village weather the storm. We have been staying with the Charneau family for many, many years and are now in one of their villas up on the hill...also hoping Bamboo is still out and about...
Le Village and the family have a special place in our hearts..we are returning in March
Enjoy your stay there

Doctin, you are so spot on. The natural beauty is returning and the people are still warm and welcoming, just tired. Many scars on the landscape will soon be covered in new foliage and the damaged structures torn down, or repaired. The cleanliness island wide is simply amazing. As you pass working crews they take the time to smile at those of us who did come back and with joy and caution wave us safely around their vehicles and building materials. I too am happy to be here.

Doctin...
How did the property at Le Village weather the storm. We have been staying with the Charneau family for many, many years and are now in one of their villas up on the hill...also hoping Bamboo is still out and about...
Le Village and the family have a special place in our hearts..we are returning in March
Enjoy your stay there

Le Village has held up well. Better than most. They apparently had 1 room damaged - I have not seen or noticed it. Their gym was beat up pretty bad. Other than that the place looks fantastic. We have been enjoying the pool in the late afternoon after beach time. Enjoy your trip.

Doctin, you are so spot on. The natural beauty is returning and the people are still warm and welcoming, just tired. Many scars on the landscape will soon be covered in new foliage and the damaged structures torn down, or repaired. The cleanliness island wide is simply amazing. As you pass working crews they take the time to smile at those of us who did come back and with joy and caution wave us safely around their vehicles and building materials. I too am happy to be here.

I knew this island would bounce back quicker than most, but I didn't think it would be this cleaned up by now. We drove the entire island yesterday. Roads are 100% clear with a few areas of minor construction. The island is beautiful. It's a testament to the spirit of this island.