From Forbes: Caribbean Luxury Resorts Damage Reports

KevinS

Senior Insider
WIMCO is reporting that none of their villas on SXM (and then Winnair) will be available until after April 1, 2018. With that and the hotel damage, I think we're going to see lots of flight cancellations into SXM.

http://www.wimco.com/vacation-travel-reviews-and-blog.aspx?target=/hurricane-updates/

That's what I was worried about! Even if our condo accepts us, will we be able to get in from SXM (and then Winnair) ? I called Jet Blue yesterday to see what the options are and they were quite eager to change my flight to another destination. I told them to hold off and was told that I can change at any time (will have to pay difference in air, zero penalty) . I have been holding off on contacing our realtor as I want to give them time but it doesn't sound promising :(

That's what I was worried about! Even if our condo accepts us, will we be able to get in from SXM (and then Winnair) ? I called Jet Blue yesterday to see what the options are and they were quite eager to change my flight to another destination. I told them to hold off and was told that I can change at any time (will have to pay difference in air, zero penalty) . I have been holding off on contacing our realtor as I want to give them time but it doesn't sound promising :(

Have you looked into Norwegian Air with non-stop flights into Guadeloupe from JFK?
I was seriously looking at those flights instead of St. Maarten before Irma hit for a November trip.
I don't know if they fly everyday, but go to their website.

My daughter got a note from her Wimco realtor on Thursday that the villa they are renting (arrival oct 22 )was untouched. "Great news" was how she described it. No word of offering another destination from their portfolio until after "the meeting" on Tuesday. I did however get an email from Villas of Distinction, who we have rented from when visiting on other islands, that they are working to make every client whole and happy, and assisting them with alternate destinations. I hope Wimco steps up to do the same. Having been through a flood, it's a tremendous amount of work to recover, especially with limited resources and skilled labor.

Have you looked into Norwegian Air with non-stop flights into Guadeloupe from JFK?
I was seriously looking at those flights instead of St. Maarten before Irma hit for a November trip.
I don't know if they fly everyday, but go to their website.

I am wondering i I can Jet Blue to PR and then maybe take Tradewinds over? I don't think Winnair flies out of PR??

We have a reservation through St. Barth Properties beginning Dec. 2nd. Our villa is right above Shell Beach and Shellona...those areas look very damaged in photos. Haven't heard from SBP yet and will give them another week to let me know something before I try contacting them; I know their hands are full. Our AA flights are into SXM, then on to Winair...not sure that's promising at this point. Winair does have on their site that will honor tickets on future flights, bigger concern is getting to SXM at some point to use them. I don't want to cancel my trip, but maybe postpone it if that makes more sense. I don't want to be in the way of the island's recovery, but at the same time, I know they need the tourist dollars.

Tradewinds doesn't look like a feaseable option. It's over $2000 for 2 people from PR. Winnair was around $600 :eek:

It may not be feasible. My advice to people is to always "run the numbers" - it's never cost effective to compare Tradewind SJU-SBH vs Winair or SBC SXM-SBH. What may make the difference is to compare the cost of Home-SXM vs Home-SJU. The cost difference there may make Tradewind feasible. Or not. Run the numbers.

There is another point to consider, one that is even more important to consider post-Irma. If you have a blown flight connection, where would you rather spend the night, SJU or SXM?

There is another point to consider, one that is even more important to consider post-Irma. If you have a blown flight connection, where would you rather spend the night, SJU or SXM?[/QUOTE]
That's the easiest question in the world

Not sure if they have got more rental cars on the island since we left a week ago after the hurricane. Irma had all the rental cars piled up on top of each other with glass blown out and some upside down. So if your in need of a car I would also check that out.

From what I know winair does fly from sju to sbh. It is a cheaper option than trade winds

Tradewind is the only company actively flying from SJU to SBH. At present, they're flying every day, bringing in donated supplies (from the fundraiser here as well as others). In the early days of Irma they were repatriating US citizens from SBH to SJU for free.

Winair and St Barth Commuter have never offered regular service between SBH and SJU, but both will happily provide you with a charter flight - for about the same price as a full-charter flight on Tradewind.

For SJU - SBH, Tradewind is really the only game in town.

Plug: Here's the link to the SBHOnline GoFundMe fundraiser:
https://www.gofundme.com/stbarthstrong1

Not sure if they have got more rental cars on the island since we left a week ago after the hurricane. Irma had all the rental cars piled up on top of each other with glass blown out and some upside down. So if your in need of a car I would also check that out.

Point noted.

I think that new rental cars will appear as if they are breeding like rabbits. They will arrive 1 or 2 freighter deliveries after the insurance check clears for the damage to the old cars.

Point noted.

I think that new rental cars will appear as if they are breeding like rabbits. They will arrive 1 or 2 freighter deliveries after the insurance check clears for the damage to the old cars.

I hope the rental agencies get new cars. We have had several POS's on the island.

I love your comment Marybeth, why be any different when on vacation. I drive a POS truck for work everyday, do not have to sweat a little scratch. Last month, Matt and I were laughing when the rental agent was circling the car noting the existing damages. When she was finished the paper had so many marks on it that Matt said, would have been quicker to note only the 1-place which was not damaged on the entire car. LOL

In regards to the rental cars. I thought there were restrictions on the amount of cards on sbh. Hence the requirement to give the com notification of where your damaged vehicle was going.