Damage Assessment map - St. Jean

george

SBH Insider
zoom to 100% to be able to read...

Interpretation
On September 6, 2017, hurricane Irma, a powerful category 5 storm, has started to strike the Caribbean, in particular the French islands of Saint-Martin and Saint-Barthelemy which have been devastated.This map presents the hurricane damage assessment over the Baie de Saint Jean area in Saint-Barthelemy, derived from the Pleiades imagery acquired the 08/09/2017. Highly and moderately affected buildings are reported, as well as damage on road network and airport infrastructure.

Attachments

• Damage assessment map of Saint Jean Bay in Saint Barthélemy.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 654
It looks like both of these maps were created using satellite images. While they present some good information, I am not sure how accurate they are.

Much of Lorient was trashed, at least from the surf shack to the gas station. At least one residence closer to the east end of the beach survived.

Lorient was hit hard. Much of the beach sand was on the road in Lorient. Now that the road is relatively clear, much of the sand is piled up on side of road like snow piles after a winter storm.

The surf shack was in the middle of the cemetary last I saw.

Thanks for the info. Ugh that breaks my heart. Saw surf shack pieces on the road in front of the cemetery on one of the videos. Is there sand on the beach or all washed away? Any houses ok?

Unfortunately not did not take much to blow the Surf Shack away. The sand can be moved back. The gas station is too important to the island not to be repaired and functioning at some point. Hopefully there wasn't damage to the below ground tanks.