Cancel Impending trip?

Rosita, we are with you in heart and spirit....look forward to seeing you and staying at your new villa Claire in February
hugs, and best
Henry and Carole

We don't need fancy. We don't need Eden Rock and Nikki Beach. As long as there is a grocery store, Le Repaire, and Bar de L'Oubli, we will be back as soon as there are places to stay.

Rosita, it is so great to see you posting again! Yeaahhh!!! And thank you for your insightful and thoughtful perspective. We wish you a lot of strength, energy, health and optimism rebuilding your villas.

Same sentiment, but my requirement list is a little different: all I need is clean beaches, sunsets and white wine.

We don't need fancy. We don't need Eden Rock and Nikki Beach. As long as there is a grocery store, Le Repaire, and Bar de L'Oubli, we will be back as soon as there are places to stay.

I sent an email to Sibarth about our villa (Villa Bikini) and it is getting bounced back. Does anyone know if they are open?

We are just so thankful that the beautiful people of St. Barth have survived Irma's impact. It pained us deeply to watch what happened last week. There's no doubt that there is a tremendous amount of work which lies ahead to restore this beloved island back to what it was. We, too, are booked to return again next April, 2018, for 10 days and have no plans of canceling our trip unless it is necessary due to villa damage, infrastructure, flight availability, etc. Visiting St. Barth is so much more to us than a 'tropical get-away' to us; it is truly in our souls. We can just 'be' on St. Barth. No glam needed!! All will be right again for sure thanks to the strong, resilient people of the island and we're looking very forward to our return!

Gayle & Gary

Peter NJ we are scheduled on JetBlue for the end of January. I haven't seen anything about JetBlue cancelling flights yet. I just logged onto my account and it doesn't say anything. We will see.

As of now I have no plans cancel my December trip if my flights are going and my accommodations can still house me(or I find alternative). Right now my plans are flying into Anguilla for 2 nights, then over to St Barts for 4 nights, and then to Saba for 4 nights. Fly back home from SXM. Hopefully the places I booked to stay came out ok after the storm. I don't need much as most of my trips are camping so a floor and a bathroom is all I really care about and even what is considered a "bathroom' is negotiable.

I just want go down and bring some tourism $$$ and hopefully some normalcy. I'm not Mr. Moneybags in anyway but every beer or burger or souvenir I buy hopefully helps a business or employee get back to business as usual. We got the weaker end of Irma here in Florida and not as much damage but been without power for a while. Starting to restore now and with every meal or drink I try to go to one of the local businesses here to help get some cash flow moving back through their business. Charities are great and needed to help some areas if you are able to give but definitely don't discount the impact of supporting businesses with normal day to day transactions. That cash flow goes much further than you probably think.

Going to wait a little longer before I reach out to the Airbnb owner I rented from(near saline beach) but I hope they fared well and I can pay them for a place to stay on St Barts.

Did you talk to anyone?
I will find the article and post here.
This was reported just today that someone was on the phone with JB and were told today no flight to SXM until end of January

wherever you read that is wrong

i just checked the jetblue website you can book flights. (i checked nov and dec)

As with many, I too am grieving for the people of St Barth, but happy no lives were lost and all is replaceable in time. We will be coming in April as usual, and will have a good time regardless of the surroundings. We will be there to show our support, Love and concern for the people of SB who are so wonderful. I know minor inconveniences for us all pale to the tragedy that this lovely island has endured. Everything can be conquered with the right attitude. and work.
Skol!! to the people of St Barth and all visitors that will make sure the island recovers, knowing their guests have true love, compassion and empathy for their situation. Knowing the all folks here who call this their second home, I have no doubt all will rise to help them thru this difficult time, if nothing else, by being there.

Maybe bad info but this was one bit I read on AXA Forum

e were scheduled to visit Anguilla for Thanksgiving week. We were flying from JFK to SXM via Jet Blue. One of my travelers just got off the phone with Jet Blue to check on status. Jet Blue indicated that they "are not planning on flights to SXM anytime soon, not before 2018." They issued a full refund for our flight (not just credit for a later flight).

LikeShow more reactions
· Reply · 3
· 4 hrs

If I understand KPJ72 correctly, Luxury Retreats is renting a villa which is listed with WIMCO.

My guess is that WIMCO's St Barth staff is going to have to check every single villa in order to assess damage. I don't know if that assessment has begun, or how long it will take, but I do know that it won't be an overnight effort. Once WIMCO knows the villa status, they'll be able to answer questions for Luxury Retreats. Once Luxury Retreats knows, then they'll be able to have an informed conversation with you.

I do know the villa that you referenced above, in fact I was the first person to rent it when it came on the market. It has a fantastic view, and I love the pool. It is well above the beach in Lorient, part way up the hill off of the Camaruche road, so it's very unlikely to have taken any damage from storm surge or pounding waves. If there was any damage then it would most likely be wind damage, or runoff from above. One question to ask Luxury Retreats is if there is any damage to the 3rd bedroom or the exercise room, which are on a lower level. (You walk down from the parking area to the main level, where the main villa and the pool are located, and then down another level to the 3rd bedroom and the exercise room.)

Thanks very much for that info. How interesting that you rented the same villa!

I want to thank everyone for their responses. I have heard from LR and they recommended if I was going to change to do it right away.. however after reading Chris's reply I think we are going to keep our res in SB. They will notify us of the damages and then will place us elsewhere if it's not habitable. Our guests have backed out (due not to the storm but our friend is a lawyer and has a hearing right smack dab in the middle of our trip) so that simplifies things a bit for us.

Who knows, maybe we will make some new friends this visit. :D

Evening everyone. ST Barts has always been an adventure for my wife and I. We can go anywhere and we end up on the island every year. It's not because everything is absolutely perfect or that everything just works exactly as planned. It really is the people that make this such a special place. Infant help but be proud for every one of them as i know that this is their livelihood and they are working so hard to prepare for the season. We are going to St Barts the second week in November and we are bringing work clothes with us. We will have our days in the sun but I will be picking up debris where ever I go. I am hoping that we can get involved physically when we are there as I want to be a part of the effort to make sure this island thrives.
Some how, some way we will find a way down there. I encourage you all to work to figure it out and don't give up at the first road block. If this is not your first time down there you know exactly why you want to go back. I'm going and I hope to see you in one of my favorite spots for a drink.

We have heard from Carole that the villa is in good repair, so assuming we can get flights in, we will arrive on October 29, ready to patronize whomever is ready for us. As some others have said, we don't need fancy. We will savor good, plain food, wine, the ocean and the people of St. Barths. The first paradise was a simple garden, after all!