Cancel Impending trip?

DavidB, I can't imagine the hardship for those who rely heavily on that next paycheck, especially in light of what your manager says about the next six months.

we are booked to arrive the 28th of October, wait for the status of the villa and then figure out how to get from NYC to SBH

We are in pretty much the same situation, scheduled to arrive on October 29. If the villa is in good order and we can make the flights work, we will be there!

DavidB, what does your rental agency think about closing the villa for the season? On the surface it might make sense to give the locals some time to get things straightened out. If you close your villa do you have to give back all of your deposits?

I saw pictures of Christopher, and it didn't look intact at all. And Carole said Le Ti is no longer

Like others, our trip is in November. I hope we can go, but we're taking a "wait and see" attitude. There are many factors involved: the state of the villa, the likelihood of repairs being completed, whether US carriers will have flights and what's up with SBC. I'm glad we have the luxury of a few weeks before having to decide.

I saw pictures of Christopher, and it didn't look intact at all. And Carole said Le Ti is no longer

I've seen two reports that said Le Ti was fine, and that Christopher's damage was mainly to the pool and restaurant area. But who knows what is real and not real right now?

Like others, our trip is in November. I hope we can go, but we're taking a "wait and see" attitude. There are many factors involved: the state of the villa, the likelihood of repairs being completed, whether US carriers will have flights and what's up with SBC. I'm glad we have the luxury of a few weeks before having to decide.

Spoke with our villa manager this evening.
Ours is up high, less exposed than some and sustained slight damage (wind is always better than water), along with a lower railing. Our people worked there today and we fully expect to welcome our first Guests of the season November 5th.
Gustavia has power along with parts of Colombier and our source (who's brother works at the utility) tells us that most of the island will have service restored in the next couple of weeks----St Jean, Flamands and areas farther from the electric plant in sequence as they are repaired and brought on line.
The port is undamaged and the first Tropical ship arrived today. Grocery and gas stations are open along with bakeries and a sprinkling of restaurants.

St Barth Commuter, Tradewinds and Air Antilles are flying at this time.
Everyone on the island is working hard to make this season.

Since SXM is only open to planes other than passenger where is SBH flying from? Good for you Jeff but the rest of the island especially low lying and St Jean and Lorient among others didnt fare so well. I'm not too optimistic about my St Jean villa. Some hotels won't open for 6 months.Im fully booked but glad I have trip cancellation insurance.

The St Jean villa we rent was not too badly damaged even though it is on the beach.... the wait now is for the insurance inspectors to show up... otherwise they will rebuilt and be ready ASAP. Unfortunately the garden has gone... all sand now....

Thanks for your honesty! Your $0.02 will probably cost you thousands. But it may save others thousands and with what my friend tells me about the anarchy rampant in SXM it may save a few lives!

On FB, I've learned that I have to read and understand more of the French, and not just so-so FB English translation of ungrammatical French. What Carole really said is that there is minimal damage:

Pour rassurer tout ceux qui s'inquiete pour le ti st barth ... le ti st barth n'as presque rien!!!
Les toits ont tenus , la boutique , les toilettes et l'interieur du ti n'ont rien!!!
Quelques petits degats ds la cuisine
Vitres explosées du a un projectile ! Quelques petits degats materiels mais sincèrement rien comparé a d'autre
Le ti st barth est beni des dieux
Merci mes anges ...

To reassure everyone who worries about it st barth... the ti st barth has almost nothing!!! [Almost no damage]
The roofs have kept, the shop, the toilets and the inside of it have nothing!!! [No damage]
Some small damage to the kitchen [minor damage]
Smashed windows from a projectile! Some small material damage but honestly nothing compared to other [broken window, minor damage]
Ti st barth is beni of the gods [beneficiary of the gods]
Thank you my angels... [What she said]

DavidB, what does your rental agency think about closing the villa for the season? On the surface it might make sense to give the locals some time to get things straightened out. If you close your villa do you have to give back all of your deposits?

Yes we will give back all deposits. With no fencing on the side of our property, it is dangerous for our guests. I trust our manager. Rental agencies want to rent villas. I want our guests to be safe, happy and continue to return. Yes this will cost us over a hundred thousand euros, and it is the right thing to do.

I will not discourage any forum members from going to St. Barts.

I trust our manager. Our villa fared better than most as it is only 5 years old. However, repairs need to be made and this will take at least 6 months.

Our villa is our home and we rent it when we are not on island. It is not our business. Others who view this as their business may see the upcoming season differently and I respect their views.

Our guests safety and enjoyment is our priority.

Well said. Hope you and all other owners are enjoying your beautiful island as soon as time and tides will allow!

We were scheduled to arrive 10/13. We contacted our villa owner who has villas in Vitet. He has canceled all reservations until January. He was not sure of the progress from then.

As i said earlier,rental agencies are getting ready for assessments of villas.
Plenty have slight damages only..Depends on the area,location on the hill,luck and so on.
Finding a villa isn't going to be the main issue.It's all about the island.
Electricity is back in many locations.So is water.3G is back.This, 8 days after Irma.Guess what they will manage in 2 or months.
We know several restaurants will operate as little damage was reported (Isola,Orega,Ti St Barth and so on).Shops in town should be fine too.Hotels are damaged and won't reopen for a while.
Collectivity is working with all architects on the island, and deciding what should be a priority.
What does the island need most ? among other things,it needs rain....to save the damaged trees and start turning green again.This will massively change the visual perception.

I am going to repeat what i said a few days ago.If you think IRMA wasn't enough,and your intention is really to crucify the island,cancel your trip.
Otherwise,move dates to february,april,may,june to give people on the island some hope over the future.
Your cancellation will destroy them.Just in case you had any doubts

Had to leave and didn't have time to give an example.
Winter 1983 in Europe,for the first time,swiss alps had a "green Christmas"..and since then,situation has worsened.
It snowed 6m per year on average in the 80s,4 meters in the 90s,2 meters in the 00s,and we are under 1 today.
I never stopped going there...If skiing was possible,i skied..If not,went to restaurants,pool,walking,wine tasting and so on.
I love the place and the people there,with or without snow.
If someone plans to cancel his trip because Nikki beach is closed,or because the island has a brown color,so be it.

All my friends are coming over at Christmas and in january.And it didn't even cross their mind to cancel.
This is what St Barth is about....and all over this beautiful forum,tens or even hundreds of people wrote they will come.
Years,even decades,of trips to the island created this incredible bond between locals and thousands of visitors.
Today,all locals are working hard to clean up the island ..to protect their business,of course...but also for you.

All efforts to restore St Barths are appreciated.this is not a small task. We have to be patient and the pool of skilled workers will surely be heavily employed. It will get done...just don't know exactly when. Every day I see a post about a service restored or progress made in cleaning up debris and that cheers and encourages me no end.

I wish them well and can't wait to get back and see the island's vitality and uniqueness restored.

Rome was not built in a day. I am positive that in time St Barths will also thrive again.

Bon chance mon amis.

Yes we will give back all deposits. With no fencing on the side of our property, it is dangerous for our guests. I trust our manager. Rental agencies want to rent villas. I want our guests to be safe, happy and continue to return. Yes this will cost us over a hundred thousand euros, and it is the right thing to do.

I will not discourage any forum members from going to St. Barts.

I trust our manager. Our villa fared better than most as it is only 5 years old. However, repairs need to be made and this will take at least 6 months.

Our villa is our home and we rent it when we are not on island. It is not our business. Others who view this as their business may see the upcoming season differently and I respect their views.

Our guests safety and enjoyment is our priority.

I am completely agree with David
i am a villas owner and also a good friend of most of wonderful people of this forum
it's not the right time to let people or guest to come back now ..st Barth is not "ready"
just get us TIME to rebuild your dream
I also want as David Guest and friends to be "happy and continue to return"
unfortunately two of my villas are badly damaged it will take time to rebuild
too much houses are damage and not enough workers to fix
we are working hardly on cleaning and also make our life a little better
because it's not easy every day
thanks to all of my friends hwo sent a lot message and love every day ...it makes a lot lot to us
love you all ❤️

Rosita, the least we can do is cheer you on! You are the island ambassador of good will and give help to all who ask it of you.

You have done so much for so many of us that we can only wish you well as you take on the huge job of making St Barth whole again.

Sending big hugs to St Barths
Amy

Since SXM is only open to planes other than passenger where is SBH flying from? Good for you Jeff but the rest of the island especially low lying and St Jean and Lorient among others didnt fare so well. I'm not too optimistic about my St Jean villa. Some hotels won't open for 6 months.Im fully booked but glad I have trip cancellation insurance.

SB Commuter has opened a route from Guadeloupe to SBH for the time being.. Rosemond will flying with them on Saturday on his way back to the island...
no sure how long they'll maintain it but it has been a great addition to the flight schedules for now...