Honeymoon Help

chrisandnelly

Hello everyone,

First, on behalf of my fiance and myself, we want to wish everyone a speedy recovery. We hope everyone on the island remains safe.

We are in a bit of a dilemma which in comparison to what everything you are going through is minimal but I was hoping you would be able to provide some guidance. Our honeymoon is booked for November the second week of November at Hotel Christopher. I know it's early but do you believe the Hotel/Island will be recovered by then?

We really want to enjoy our first days together as a married couple on the island as it is so beautiful along with the people but want to be sure we are able to enjoy it as so many people have. Is it best to reschedule to early next year?

Any guidance on this would be grateful. We are due to fly into St. Martin but that might not be an option either. Thank you again and our hearts are with the entire island.

Thank You,
Chris and Nelly

I have yet to see pictures from that part of the island so it is tough to say if things are going to be cleared up by the time you arrive or not. The best thing to do might be to wait a few weeks for things to calm down and then send the hotel an email so see how they are doing. We are less than a week out and from what I have read, everyone is working extremely hard to put the pieces back together.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. I wish your visit would have been under better circumstances

I doubt anyone can give wise advice as yet on the amount of damage recovery that will be accomplished by early November, but I think it is safe to say that there will still be significant damage. One important factor for you to consider is that early next year will be "high" season, unlike November, so the hotel/villa costs will be significantly higher unless Irma somehow upends that structure.

Sorry Chris and Nelly but I think this is the Christopher after the storm. I wouldn't count on going here soon. If you booked directly give them a call in a few weeks.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

I was told Xstopher is being used to house french troops and relief workers as it is one of the few least damaged hotels...

I saw several posts about it..the hotel isn't damaged except the structure outside for lunch/dinner
It made sense because of the location (south) and downhill.
I think it's marvelous you are still thinking to go...
Let me suggest this...If hotel is not open,rent a small villa..you will help a gardener,a cleaning lady and an house owner to "feel better"
If you can (might be complicated for a honeymoon ),move date to beginning of december...or beginning of january .
Anyway..fabulous post and support for the island

Welcome to the forum chrisandnelly and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Whenever you get to come to St Barths, be prepared to fall in love with the people and the French charm and all that this wonderful island has to offer. The will recover. We have to be patient and give them a chance to get on their feet. Watching and waiting right along with you. It will be great when they signal they are open and ready! To paraphrase a message that was about a baseball diamond, 'Rebuild it, and they will come'.

I think it's marvelous you are still thinking to go...
Let me suggest this...If hotel is not open,rent a small villa..you will help a gardener,a cleaning lady and an house owner to "feel better"
I second this - villas are wonderful and you get way more privacy that you would at a hotel with your own private pool, deck, etc. We have been for both our 10 year and 20 year anniversaries, plus about another dozen visits, always in villas. You may even be able to get a very good rate on a luxurious villa that would normally be way too expensive. Once you know about the status of the Christopher if you need a villa try calling St Barths Properties or Wimco and I am sure that they can find a villa for you.

Agree!! Go as planned.

You'll need the honeymoon to recuperate from all the planning and the run up to the wedding, and you'll need now, not in 6 months. Also, the only thing you really need for a great time is your partner!

If they can't take you at the Cristopher, find a villa and go anyhow. It may be a blessing in disguise.

Thank you so much everyone for your input so far. We are so on the fence about what to do. We have placed a hold on an alternative but our heart is still in St. Barts. I heard from the tourism board who advised me the hotel would reach soon. If there are any additional details anyone has we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you again!

The only times I have ever been to St Barts is at that exact time of year. I loved that it was more mellow then, and I agree with others that you will likely get the royal treatment from grateful islanders who depend on tourism for survival. Besides giving money, I think reassuring them that we will continue to support them even if some amenities are not fully recovered will give them peace of mind going into the holiday season. I say go! It will be a trip you'll never forget.

And then you'll fall in love with the island, and you can go back every year.

As far as flying you could also look into the Tradewinds flight direct from San Juan to St Barts.

Hello ChrisandNelly,
Welcome to the forum. Wishing you a great wedding, honeymoon and marriage. We have traveled the world, I can assure you, there is no place like St. Barths. It carries an infectious spirit within the people like no other country I have visited. Do yourself a favor, come to see what everyone is raving about on this Forum. You will not regret one moment. Many of the posters are very well traveled.
Anita and I are booked to arrive on October 28th. We always rent a villa directly from the Owner. We have been contacted by the Owner that the villa in Pt. Milou did not incur significant damages. We intend to wait a few weeks and see how things sort themselves out regarding air flights and rental cars adjustments. We are looking forward to returning to paradise and supporting their economy :)
We are also booked with our brood to arrive January 6th. We have been contacted by the Owners of each of the two Villas in Vitet, neither of which incurred significant damages either :)

Chris & Nelly

Things are going to be a little sketchy thru this week and maybe next week to but since you have 8 weeks here are few things you can do to get started.

Keep trying to contact the Christopher to find out the situation.

Contact WIMCO to see about villa rentals, since that's there business I would imagine they are going to be on top of the issue since they will be dealing with existing reservations and the issue of moving people around from damaged villas to those that can still be rented. There are a few other rental agencies but they are pretty tuned in to things and you can get them on the phone.

As long as they don't get smacked again in the next few weeks the airports should be functional in both St Marten and St Barths so call WinnAir and/or Saint Barth Commuter to see about flights, Tradewinds from San Juan costs about 4-5 times more per head and I gather you already have tickets to St Martin.

good luck

P.S.

Back in 2005 I took my "Bride" to SBH for our honeymoon and it made for a great trip with lots of memories and an opportunity to meet a few forum members. This was my second marriage at age 54 and I wont tell you my brides age least I have a death wish but it was her first. It's a special occasion especially to the ladies and you may want to weigh that in making your final decision. Truth be told there will be a huge difference in what shape the island will be in come May or June compared to early November. You may want to start taking a trip through youtube to see the extent of the damage and not kid yourself into thinking all will be well; things may be functional but it's not going to be what you had in mind when you planned your trip. You may want to think about going elsewhere for this occasion and go to SBH come May or June. " "note to reader" The Junies can be fun group to bump into" :wink2:

Good Luck

fins ~~/\~^~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdQg1IpPfpU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPov3NfhIRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCx-_gRGTMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTSbEPqZ91I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKE20iraGAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j500Wruyqqs

Look on the forum today re: Christopher, somewhat of an update for you if you haven't been in touch. Don't know how you booked the Christopher, direct, website, travel consultant, or villa company, but you should get in touch with the source you used for options, unless you booked on your own. If direct on own, find out what your options are from the property regarding re-booking another time period if you still have St Barths for honeymoon spot. After 20+ visits over the years, our favorite island, always staying in villas. This time coming, our villa suffered damages, so the villa co. has offered us options for coming same time period for 1 of alternates or sometime 2018. Good luck with making decision. Depending on where you fly from & thru should be in your decision process too.