SBH Online #stbarthstrong GoFundMe Campaign

sbhonline

Administrator
UPDATE THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 14

You have donated $22,750 so far! 25 boxes of gear have arrived at San Juan airport, containing chain saws and tarps for damaged roofs. We will deliver them to St Barths on Friday, via Tradewind Aviation (they are true heroes). Please keep the donations coming, the officials managing the relief effort asked us for 100 chainsaws, and we are only 50% of the way to that goal.

Thanks to WIMCO Villas for assembling the gear and flying it down, but most importantly
thanks to all of you who love and support this beautiful island and all of her inhabitants.

View attachment 43244

Dear Forum Members and Friends of St Barths,

On September 6 IRMA ravaged the island we all love, and many of the people we have come to know there are without food, electricity, and shelter. Please join us in raising money to provide essential services and materials to St Barths.

100% of the funds raised will used for the purpose of funding the restoration of essential services, and for purchasing essential supplies. Local residents and those in charge of relief efforts are guiding how the funds donated are distributed.

The people of the island need your help. Please contribute whatever you can today, and forward information about the campaign to anyone who may be interested in making a donation.

Donate Here

Share This Link:
gofundme.com/stbarthstrong1

Thank you for all of your support and your concern.

gustavia-harbor-rainbow-647x346.jpg

Thanks for putting this together. The support is needed, and will be very much appreciated by those on the island which we all love.

Thank you to everyone who has made a donation in the first two days of the campaign. So far we have raised $17,750 and we have purchased chain saws, generators, sat phones, protein bars, and related gear. First shipment arrived via Tradewind relief flight on Tuesday. More supplies are being flown down on Wednesday, for Thursday delivery. We are meeting with government employees based at the airport organizing the rebuilding effort to determine what supplies to buy next, and how best to distribute them.

Thanks to Tradewind Aviation and WIMCO Villas for their enthusiastic support.

www.gofundme.com/stbarthstrong1

View attachment 43229

As of the time that I'm writing this, over $21,000 has been raised through this GoFundMe effort, which is barely 3 days old. It's fantastic to hear that supplies are already being delivered to St Barth.

I'd like to add a little color to the above post:

The Collectivité's command center for this disaster is located on the upper floor at the airport. That's where the officials leading the recovery effort, from President Magras on down, can be found. Those disaster workers are the ones who can best recommend what is needed, and best know how to distribute it. Some of those needs were listed above, but they will change over time. For example, expect to see items such as tarps and batteries added to the list.

Tradewind Aviation's assistance with this effort has allowed needed supplies and equipment to get delivered to St Barth in a very short amount of time. In my head, I had envisioned a check being delivered, something which isn't all that timely when the island's banking system is still in disarray. Identifying needs, buying in the US, and delivering the needed supplies directly to St Barth provides real, effective assistance on a much more timely basis than delivering a check would. Kudos to Tradewind and WIMCO for working together to make this happen.

Bravo to Wimco and Tradewind for their efforts, as well as all those on the island who have worked so hard to get things up and running so fast... water and electricity are back in some neighborhoods already, trash collection is operational, the water desalination plant is working, cargo ships are starting to come in, offices are reopening, the bakeries are baking, people can buy gas (40e) and shops are opening on a limited basis.. the comeback is amazing from what I hear... the vegetation is what will take the longest time to recover...

Helene Bernier

For Information:
There are still elderly people in st barth alone with no water, no electricity, no phone...
There are also in st barth families who have lost everything and find themselves in very complicated situations.
These residents of st barth would need state aid!!!
How sad to hear or read some comments...
All aid is welcome, so let's thank them instead of dénigrer them!

Helene Bernier

One day, said the legend, there was a huge forest fire. All terrified animals, shocked, watched the disaster. Only the little hummingbird activated, picking up a few drops with his beak to throw them on fire. After a while, the armadillo, annoyed by this derisory agitation, said to him, " Hummingbird! Aren't you crazy? It's not with those drops of water that you're gonna put out the fire! "
And the hummingbird said, " I know, but I do my part."

UPDATE THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 14

You have donated $22,750 so far! 25 boxes of gear have arrived at San Juan airport, containing chain saws and tarps for damaged roofs. We will deliver them to St Barths on Friday, via Tradewind Aviation (they are true heroes). Please keep the donations coming, the officials managing the relief effort asked us for 100 chainsaws, and we are only 50% of the way to that goal.

Thanks to WIMCO Villas for assembling the gear and flying it down, but most importantly
thanks to all of you who love and support this beautiful island and all of her inhabitants.

View attachment 43244

I wanted to be sure that nobody missed the update in post #1 in this thread, copied above. Tarps and more chainsaws are being delivered to St Barth on Friday, but more are requested.

Here are some additional photos of material which has already been delivered to the island:

21462834_1811882258825318_5190067859080079144_n.jpg

21557455_1811882418825302_8190118992525341595_n.jpg

21463142_1811882272158650_1946138153047011079_n.jpg

21559048_1811882432158634_7871437030751699048_n.jpg

21557524_1811884285491782_428818880873388949_n.jpg