What about some optimism and hope ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the journal de St Barth,Irma damaged the collectivity properties for an amount of 7.6m euros..partly insured (but not the roads,for example)

Hip hip hurrah for Roman Abramovich,again,paying for the stadium renovation :889.000 euros .
Roman,a true true friend of SBH

[FONT=&quot]The St. Maarten Tourism Bureau reported 1,220 of the 4,162 hotel rooms that were available on the Dutch side of the island before Irma were available as of Jan. 18.[/FONT]

This thread does not make me want to come back just yet. Been coming every year for 15 years or more.

This thread does not make me want to come back just yet. Been coming every year for 15 years or more.

There is no reason not to come back, I think everyone who came this year had a good time, maybe different than in the past, but the island is in great shape for you to visit...

There is no reason not to come back, I think everyone who came this year had a good time, maybe different than in the past, but the island is in great shape for you to visit...

That is good to know. I just keep hearing that there are only a few restaurants open. Food selections limited at Marche. Piles of debris everywhere. Airport in SXM a mess. Direct flights to SXM being cancelled. Is it all being blown out of proportion? I don't mind a little inconvenience but......

That is good to know. I just keep hearing that there are only a few restaurants open. Food selections limited at Marche. Piles of debris everywhere. Airport in SXM a mess. Direct flights to SXM being cancelled. Is it all being blown out of proportion? I don't mind a little inconvenience but......
There are plenty of restaurants open. Last week we did a whole thread on all the restaurants that are open. Marché U is fully stocked. Oasis has no refrigerated food but st the AMC stores are stocked too. Enough with this cockamamie thread. Go to the other threads.

Zin, all roads are open. The piles of debris are in designated collection spots. Most restaurants are open...though I am having MAYA’S withdrawal. The hotels are not open nor are their restaurants. The stores are open and the merchants and hosts are so welcoming. So, come on down!

Chris, Nils did graciously respond to my inquiry. He responds that according to the French data base l'observatoire du tourisme there are indeed 800 rental villas. Strangely on the IEDOM's own site, using this same data base, they say there were 450 villas on the rental market in 2012:
2.1 LES VILLAS

Le parc de logements touristiques de Saint-Barthélemy se distingue par la partprépondérante de villas de standing, souvent propriétés d’étrangers, notamment nord-américains, qui proposent leur résidence à la location. Le Comité du tourisme de Saint-Barthélemy estime à 450 le nombre de villas proposées à la location sur l’île. La location devillas est particulièrement prisée par la clientèle américaine (à 70 % environ) d’une moyenned’âge de l’ordre de 55 ans. Ce marché a crû en moyenne de 5 % par an sur la période 2000-2007 et s’est ensuite essoufflé en 2008 avec la crise économique et financière survenue auxEtats-Unis à l’été 2007. En 2012, la conjoncture économique plus favorable semble avoirbénéficié aux loueurs de villas : le produit de la taxe de séjour perçu sur les locations augmentesensiblement (+26,5 %), passant de 1,63 million d’euros à 2,06 millions d’euros.

A lively debate is always fun.
It is extremely interesting to read people's opinions.
Some members consider the way to go forward is "to do nothing" (or have nothing to propose),when tourist numbers are down 80% and so many businesses and people on the island are struggling.I don't agree and i think island must react to reinvent itself.
Everybody has an opinion about how the island should be:calm or vibrant.The debate won't be confiscated by a few members of the forum,irritated by noise and traffic jams.
The island can't function and prosper with so few visitors.And it is obvious the main risk is for the situation to stay that way for quite a long time.

Many,many people on the island are aware of the problems,the challenges,and the risks.The warnings signs are flashing red,with hundreds of people leaving the island (and more to come),or Orange dropping the fiber optic project,for example.
Many locals and many visitors want the vibrant St Barth back ,with thousands of tourists everywhere.And i share their wish and their concerns.
As usual,some won't share this way of thinking and i respect that.
Also keep in mind the profile of people commenting is very different:short term visitors,regular visitors,people spending months on the island,some living and working there,some are not even coming on the island but commenting.Age of the contributor is also a factor to consider.
Lots of opinions,as usual on blogs and forums.

People have a multitude of reasons for deciding to return or not at this time to Saint-Barth. It’s not reasonable or fair to simply dismiss the concerns of those who have decided to wait a while before returning. That said, bravo to those who are visiting during this period of transition.

People have a multitude of reasons for deciding to return or not at this time to Saint-Barth. It’s not reasonable or fair to simply dismiss the concerns of those who have decided to wait a while before returning. That said, bravo to those who are visiting during this period of transition.

Well said..and i join your bravo for coming .
The real concern should be :how to get them all to come back end of 2018 and in 2019 .(and not fewer of them)
To get tons of traffic and noise back on the island (joking)

Part of the solution is out of our hands: the normalisation of air service.

It is so important to get the St Martin airport up and running..if they rebuild it and airlines add back the flights to Julianna, people will come. The sooner it is operational the better for all the islands around here.

Many will agree the Princess Juliana is crucial.You rightly pointed out it has massive repercussions on ST Barth (the sad "flight debacle" thread)
A bit of analysis now:it seems the terminal won't be ready for year end
We also know some major hotels on the beach won't be ready for that period neither.
Many people i work with,on the island,fear this will lead to another poor touristic season in 2019.Will the offer be enough to bring back the thousands of tourists per week the island needs to thrive ?
I would argue the "everything is going to be ok.let's do nothing" way of thinking is a wrong assumption,in the light of what we know.
As mentioned,the 800 villas,and the hotels open,will request over 3.000 tourists per week to have a normal season.Can this be achieved with the SXM terminal and so few beach options ?
I can assure you the question is on the mind of all the people i know on the island.

I will add this is the rosy "best case" scenario,as top managers of the island and collectivity are well aware of the real elephant in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.