What about some optimism and hope ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend Doug is on island now and just posted live video of Select and tbe streets. Absolutely mobbed with live marching band in the streets. People everywhere having a blast gotta love the spirit of sbh

IMG_4049.JPGIMG_4062.JPG

Here are two photos made this week end on the island....the Saline beach access...and a garden.Frangipanier trees (and others) doing just great.

Thanks Chris, I needed this!

Thanks for lovely comment...Don't worry...Island is battling hard:All the gloom and doom will soon be forgotten
Good news of the day.The Cata cup (mid november) will take place.
Saline beach is a few meters lower....but will look as stunning as ever after seaweed clean up.
Hopefully,we will also get good news from Cote port.
Island needs some rain at the moment (just rain..no wind) to turn green

Weather update again

Conditions in October and November may end up quite favorable for Atlantic tropical cyclone development, especially in the Caribbean, which is a climatological hot spot late in the season. Sea surface temperatures in the Caribbean are substantially above average (1-2°C), and long-range models are calling for below-average surface pressures during October in the western Caribbean, which signals a higher-than-usual chance of tropical development. Moreover, we are currently in a La Niña-like pattern—with cooler-than-average sea surface temperatures (SSTs) already present in the eastern tropical Pacific—and this may help keep wind shear in the tropical Atlantic below average.
Both the GFS and European long-range models are suggesting the potential for a tropical cyclone developing in the Northwest Caribbean or eastern Gulf of Mexico somewhere in the 7- to 14-day period. In an outlook published on Tuesday, NOAA/NWS Climate Prediction Center (CPC) highlighted a moderate risk of tropical cyclone formation in the Oct. 4 – 10 period across the Northwest Caribbean and southern Gulf of Mexico. An atmospheric Kelvin wave located in the eastern equatorial Pacific this week will be moving toward Central America, favoring upward motion, according to CPC.

IMG_1201.jpgIMG_1205.jpg

These photos were taken today (17/10) at 17.30 (winair flight with dark windows)
Island is turning green and looks near normal
will share my flight experience through SXM tomorrow

Chris, it is so good to see so much green has come back. Thank you for brightening the day.

Glad to see this.

The view from the little plane as we pass Ile Forchue and Gustavia grows ever closer always brings a big smile to my face. Can’t wait to see it again in person!

IMG_1194.jpgIMG_1195.jpgIMG_1197.jpg

SXM airport as yesterday.
Here's a short description of my flight from Europe.American Airlines from London to SXM with a stop (1 night) in Miami.
The usual "american hell" (sorry,guys)...tons of questioning in London for security purposes (where,how,with you...etc),and questions increasingly stupid,to be honest.Once in Miami,ver 1 hour to get out of the airport...They have hundreds of machines to process ESTA passengers...but you still need a guy to verify after.Of course,shortage of manpower and huge lines...When will they get it ?
Please note both AA flights were perfectly on time (Air France,if you are listening )
the MIA-SXM was 75% full.Not bad in october in my opinion
SXM terminal is now "outside" in a tent.2 agents to process all passengers...(due to lack of space)
I then connected on a winair flight (took a bus to go to another tent).After going through immigration and security again,you end in the former luggage area,converted in a hall....The "blue bitch bar" has opened there (true).
Talked to an airport rep.He said the structure of the airport moved during Irma,as the hurricane was so intense.Experts will need to assess the building before starting renovation.He expected a 1 year process.He also said the delta flights were kind of empty at the moment
Locals are doing their best...but clearly,the airport is a huge disaster.Can they handle several planes at the same time in winter ? I am not sure.
I highly suggest flying through SJU and connecting with tradewinds to reach SBH...or Antigua,or pointe a Pitre (if you are really desperate).
Security and boarding are much faster in other airports.Too bad for Miami.
The AA flight also lands late (15.10 in SXM)...few options to fly to SBH from there that late.Did winair or commuter bother to adapt schedule ? nope...Commuter cancelled flights to Juliana and flies grand case for the moment....so you can all enjoy the lovely taste of St Marteen taxis.))

Good reporting Chris. Seems that as long as the tents are there the flights in will be sparse. Do you know if the tower is working or are the planes landing visually?

That's interesting reporting Chris. Sorry for your troubles going to MIA. Part of the problems that you had to deal with are the same reasons why we always opt to fly direct from BOS to eliminate a missed connection.

The comment "the structure of the airport moved" is a little surprising. This comment can be taken so many different ways and I am guessing it's not quite as bad as it might seem on the surface as all structures are designed to move..... how much movement that can be tolerated before cracks appear in various places is another item.

Status
Not open for further replies.