What about some optimism and hope ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris83

SBH Insider
This is the stunning photo of Flamand beach after Irma (sorry,i don't know who took it)
Incredibly,the beach is still there...and yes,it's just lovely.
I am nothing else than stunned by this miracle.And i see it as a symbol of renaissance.
Eden Rock is also still proudly sitting on its beloved rock,despite rumors it was gone (not to mention Nikki Beach and others)
The airport is opening today for rescue flights.help is on the way.We just need Jose to go quickly, before the full energy of the locals operates.
There's lots and lots of heavy equipment on the island because of the building boom...And we will all be stunned,once again,how hard the portuguese builders can work.
Thousands and thousands of people adore this island...And will show this love by visiting this winter.You can already read so many posts of wonderful people ,saying they will visit this winter.Thank you so much to all of them
I bet new year eve will be the best ever,with hundreds of boats in front of Gustavia proudly coming to show solidarity with the locals and the island.
Hope is just around the corner.Keep that in mind
FLAMAND BEACH.png

We are still planning our visit in late January if we are allowed (I can't imagine why we would be). I believe the best way to support the island and their residents is to continue to visit. I just hope I don't get an skewed feeling when I'm there..... as taking a vacation to the island during the reconstruction seems a inappropriate.

Tourism is the basis of the SBH economy. Very few on the island, if any, would be uninterested in / detached from revitalization of business as soon as possible. People who live & work there are resilient . . . even indomitable. Though devastation has inflicted huge property, economic, & personal losses, I've seen on other occasions -- and been part of it -- the spirited support among people of SBH in pulling together to rebuild, restart, & continue "the fight," as they've done for 400 years.

There are stages in grief. If I remember correctly, "DENIAL, ANGER, BARGAINING, DEPESSION, ACCEPTANCE." For those of us that love the island and more importantly, the people of that island who have enriched our lives for so many years, planning our vacations before letting them fully grieve seems to me, to be, as some have alluded to, slightly conflicted. Looking at The picture of Flamands, I see beauty, but my heart breaks for the people whose homes are now shells. Surely, talk of the Di caprios and Puff Daddy's yachting on the bones of the Island infrastructure does little for those who have lost so much! Unbridled optimism denies reality and skips many stages in a process.

I guess, I plan to allow those most affected to process and report based on fact what their reality is before I impose my grief over their plight on their working through their grieving!

first, I still hope to hear all we have met in our travels are safe:heart1:

Ref Jose .
looks like it has turn more northward - 8 AM calls for Tropical storm conditions only.
imagepng

This is the stunning photo of Flamand beach after Irma (sorry,i don't know who took it)
Incredibly,the beach is still there...and yes,it's just lovely.
I am nothing else than stunned by this miracle.And i see it as a symbol of renaissance.
Eden Rock is also still proudly sitting on its beloved rock,despite rumors it was gone (not to mention Nikki Beach and others)
The airport is opening today for rescue flights.help is on the way.We just need Jose to go quickly, before the full energy of the locals operates.
There's lots and lots of heavy equipment on the island because of the building boom...And we will all be stunned,once again,how hard the portuguese builders can work.
Thousands and thousands of people adore this island...And will show this love by visiting this winter.You can already read so many posts of wonderful people ,saying they will visit this winter.Thank you so much to all of them
I bet new year eve will be the best ever,with hundreds of boats in front of Gustavia proudly coming to show solidarity with the locals and the island.
Hope is just around the corner.Keep that in mind
View attachment 43154

We're scheduled to be there beginning October 27. While I understand the mixed feelings about vacationing during rebuilding, the only way the island comes back is if we are spending our dollars and euros there. That will be the oxygen of recovery. Not a direct parallel, of course, but consider New York city after 9/11 -- with in 10 days, the mayor was on television asking every one in the world to come see Broadway shows, shop on Fifth Avenue, eat at our restaurants, etc. The best way we can show our love to St. Barth's is being there once it achieves a reasonable state of stability, as full recovery will take years.

Help--
I am stranded on the Island with my Husband and Daughter. We are trying to get to St. Kitts or St. Lucia. The home we were staying on was completely destroyed.
Does anyone know how or where we can charter a boat/helicopter/seaplane to get to St. Kitts or St. Lucia?

If there is anyone out there with a boat and willing to take us to St. Kitts, please respond and I promise we will make it worth your while.

Thank you!

Well said! Thanks for your post. Planning to visit the island is the best way to show support. St Barth is resilient but needs tourists to survive

I honestly feel its too early to think about upcoming trips unless they are imminent. We are scheduled for November but will not consider cancelling..nor checking on the state of our villa...until a few more weeks pass.

It seems like the island residents have enough on their hands at the present moment to deal with.

Like Chris, I am optimistic that the island will recover from this tragedy.

We have been going to St Barths since 1988. We have been to other islands but none compared to St Barths. We have reservations for Feb.3 and we intend to keep them to support the island any way we can.

I am optimistic! My parents lived through Luis and I know this is worse, but the paratroopers arrived and fixed the critical infrastructure of the island. I remember giving a donation for the rebuilding that went to planting new flowers! Not exactly what I imagined when I made a donation.

One of our dentist attendees is already talking about staying in a tent if necessary for SBDA 2018 in January to support the island.

After confirming that the house I'd rented was habitable and accessible (albeit from only one direction and through some sand), I carried on with a planned trip to the Outer Banks one week after Hurricane Irene hit in 2011. The people who lived there were very grateful to have visitors - every time we walked into a restaurant, there was a celebration. When you depend on tourist dollars for your livelihood, it's important that they return as soon as they are not interfering with the recovery.

Looking forward, as we have for many years, to our March trip.

We will put off experiencing the end of winter in the Northeast for some future year* - a tough sacrifice we are willing to make to support St Barth.

* Hopefully, some very distant future year.

We too do not plan to change our February plans unless we are told to do so by the Villa owner due to damage. Yes St. Barth depends a lot on us -tourists' and we want the island to recover as quickly as possible and thrive. ST. BARTH STRONG!
Belinda we are sorry to learn of your situation. Hopefully your request on this Forum will help to find someone to help you out.

I too am planning to keep my reservation for next May. I do have concerns about the airport in St. Maarten though. Is there another route to take from the U.S.?

I too am planning to keep my reservation for next May. I do have concerns about the airport in St. Maarten though. Is there another route to take from the U.S.?
SXM will be fixed by then...but you have solutions with San Juan and Tradewinds.Or with Antigua and commuter or tradewinds.Antigua is open and running as hurricane didn't impact them much

I would like to thank all people who wrote they will come....I am sure locals will celebrate seeing you

After 23 years of visiting St Barth every January we have seen a lot of damage from hurricanes - this one might be the worst. We are still planning to be there in January 2018. We love St. Barth and the people.

More good news to report...the main generators on the island are not damaged but shut off because of the broken power lines,triggering less demand.It's a safety mode to protect the equipment..restore the lines and island will have electricity again.Older generators were damaged but crews are working on them and power is slowly coming back.
Same goes for water system...everything is clogged because of debris...but it will be ok once massive cleaning operation really begins.

Island is going to make it ...and
probably quicker than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.