What about some optimism and hope ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you must be quoting some knowledgeable source. Which numbers are "down 80%?"

Tourist numbers are down approx 80%,which makes sense as capacity in SXM is down 60%.
Revenues in shops (clothing,wine shops,jewelry that i know about) are down 80% or more..:Walking in Gustavia at 18.00 last week,i guess luxury shops are not doing much better.The lack of yachts must massively impact them.
Some restaurants are also not doing that great (specially the ones open for late dinner,as nightlife evaporated).
It would be interesting to know how shipping problems impact businesses.Some renovations can't proceed because of delays.
As i said earlier ,this was expected.
The real problem is going forward,according to my conversations.A very slow mid season seems in the cards.

Are you saying that tourist arrivals on St. Barth are down 80% for the month of January?

You can debate endlessly how "tourists" are accounted for ,because of the cruise ships,people arriving at the airport,with ferries
If we take people staying a week on the island ,numbers are down near 80% ,which is logical if you consider this :All major hotels are closed ,and only 50% of rentals are "open".
According to villa managers I know,there has been quite a lot of cancellations because of flights
Same is true about people leaving the island .no official numbers yet,but everybody I met had friends leaving the island .
Driving around,very few minis (in February),lots of trucks...seemed like November,not February

After reading this thread, I just realized I have never been to Nikki Beach. In fact, I don’t think I have ever checked out the club life. Sounds like I missed the premier cultural experiences that the island offers.
I visit St Barth to witness the incredible color of the morning sky. I come to watch the insane light show of Gustavia sunsets. I love to walk with the goats above Toiny (like it so much that I bought a small herd for our farm). I love taking a ride in a Twin Otter, a Pilatus PC12 or a Norman Islander……and the first peek at the Baie de St Jean at the end of the ride.
Mostly I come to St Barth to relax and breathe.
We’ll be heading down in a couple weeks.…. pretty sure I’ll find what I’m looking for.

Sunrize-C-2-web.jpg

Rick, Looking forward to seeing you and enjoying your photos as you meander this island....ahhh, St Barths!

I’ve never been to NB either. What’s intrigued me though is the pattern of comments to the effect that the cuisine there is actually quite good. For a place whose raison d’être seems to be drinkin’ and partyin’ and gettin’ nekkid (or close to it). :cool:

You are right,Tim
It is my opinion.
I have yet to read in the forum about the 2-3 major elephants in the room,going forward.
I consider something needs to be done to boost the island.The "Old quiet St Barth" is clearly back,and i do find it totally depressing .
A sign of the times:hundreds,if not thousands,are leaving the island . (finally,someone wrote about it )

Tourist numbers are down approx 80%,which makes sense as capacity in SXM is down 60%.
Revenues in shops (clothing,wine shops,jewelry that i know about) are down 80% or more..:Walking in Gustavia at 18.00 last week,i guess luxury shops are not doing much better.The lack of yachts must massively impact them.
Some restaurants are also not doing that great (specially the ones open for late dinner,as nightlife evaporated).
It would be interesting to know how shipping problems impact businesses.Some renovations can't proceed because of delays.
As i said earlier ,this was expected.
The real problem is going forward,according to my conversations.A very slow mid season seems in the cards.

chris, I find YOU totally depressing............lol. can you find a different forum for your " facts about the island of st. barths" because you have no clue about this island at all. YOUR information is way off and you seem to go on and on about a subject that I can see you have very little knowledge. If you are speaking french, then you are not speaking to the majority of the local people as french is not their language. you might want to try creole or patois as this is the lingo of the local people on island of st. barths.

After reading this thread, I just realized I have never been to Nikki Beach. In fact, I don’t think I have ever checked out the club life. Sounds like I missed the premier cultural experiences that the island offers.
I visit St Barth to witness the incredible color of the morning sky. I come to watch the insane light show of Gustavia sunsets. I love to walk with the goats above Toiny (like it so much that I bought a small herd for our farm). I love taking a ride in a Twin Otter, a Pilatus PC12 or a Norman Islander……and the first peek at the Baie de St Jean at the end of the ride.
Mostly I come to St Barth to relax and breathe.
We’ll be heading down in a couple weeks.…. pretty sure I’ll find what I’m looking for.

View attachment 45281

FABulouz shot Mr. G....

I’ve never been to NB either. What’s intrigued me though is the pattern of comments to the effect that the cuisine there is actually quite good. For a place whose raison d’être seems to be drinkin’ and partyin’ and gettin’ nekkid (or close to it). :cool:

Cass,

I hate to admit that some of the better lunches I have had have been at Nikki Beach, due to the negative comments people make (many who have never dined here). When we have visitors we take them there to see the "scene" on Sunday. I have never had anything other than wonderful service there. The manger Jerome was the lunch resto manager at IDF for years. The food is actually reasonably priced and the servings are not microscopic. The booze is another story. We went a couple of times last year early and not on Sunday. Presentation is also top notch. This place gets overlooked as a food destination in the opinion of someone who is in the culinary business.

Ricky our sentiments exactly....we go to the island for peace and serenity....and we always find it[/QUOTE

I agree.... but I arrived on Friday; thinking how quiet I would find the island ( we also come every year in February).... but instead, found it very busy. So much so, it was impossible to find a parking spot a couple days ago in Gustavia.
And so far, the few restaurants I have been to; have been packed.
I went to my favorite shop in St Jean ( Filles Des Iles), and she said business was done definitely by at least 50%.... but instead she thanked me for coming back to the island, and said she felt lucky that no one was killed during Irma.
I don’t necessarily miss any of the big places on the beach; but appreciate the kindness and smiles I have received since I have been here.
RGs beautiful photo captures the heart of this island; as well as the people.
It will take time; but like the tide; it will keep coming back.

Cass,

I hate to admit that some of the better lunches I have had have been at Nikki Beach, due to the negative comments people make (many who have never dined here). When we have visitors we take them there to see the "scene" on Sunday. I have never had anything other than wonderful service there. The manger Jerome was the lunch resto manager at IDF for years. The food is actually reasonably priced and the servings are not microscopic. The booze is another story. We went a couple of times last year early and not on Sunday. Presentation is also top notch. This place gets overlooked as a food destination in the opinion of someone who is in the culinary business.
Amen Reed as usual you are spot on, we enjoy it on Sundays and have met many friends there including you. It’s all about having a good time. Most days that’s hiking to a beach and enjoying the serenity and beauty. But on Sunday afternoons it’s about Nikki.

is it really necessary to go to personal attacks when a different opinion is expressed ?
"you have no clue about this island at all"...WTF ???
of course he has a clue. From HIS point of view. Just like everybody here.

Chris goes up and down since Sept. 6th. Just like all of us living on this island, no matter for how long.

I'm with him when he's full of optimism and hope. But I'm also with him when things don't go as fast as we wish or the way we wish.

of course he's right when he says the nightlife is down at the moment, and Nikki Beach is missing.
I don't like nightlife, I don't like Nikki Beach, I never go there.
But it brings a certain clientele, and this clientele makes what St Barths is, too. No doubt about that.
I've never been forced to go to Nikki Beach or out at night. Do you ?

"Forum" says : share opinions, discussions, points of view. Don't agree ? well : argue !
"...the majority of the local people as french is not their language..." is a wrong, and poor argument.
If forum is : tuna well cooked, delicious rhum vanille, overpriced or "yum very tasty cassolette"... well...why not, but in this case it's Yelp, not really a forum,
no ?

Is there anything left to say on this thread?

should be locked down.........I mean the people who think that the locals normally speak french, are not correct........ the locals can speak french/english/creole and some even speak portuguese. but its not the language that they speak for the majority of the day. when I say locals, I don't mean people who came from mainland france and live here now, I mean people who were born here. I live here also, but I am not a local.

nope.
a blog is a website kept by one person only, sharing his/her opinions, cooking recipes, scrapbook tricks, etc...

On this thread, we can see a lot of different opinions, discussed by many different people, about a place we all love, I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.