What about some optimism and hope ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can’t hide the tons of trash in St Barts is the problem.

Well,sadly,this isn't the explanation.Sorry.

It should also be stated that this pile of trash is located in one designated place in St Barth.(and not all over the island)
I also wonder why people should be surprise to see a photo of waste in a waste collection site.And how it's relevant,to be honest.Anybody who visited the "dechetterie" on the harbor saw even bigger piles of waste (last march for example)
It seems to me it's a logical location for it.But maybe things are done differently in other countries (JOKING).
But hey,if you think there's no wifi on the island,you may also believe the island is all brown with loads of garbage everywhere.

The photos of recycling "material" posted by Ellen don't fully portray the extent of the issue . . . crushed & neatly wrapped for disposal is one thing. Another aspect of the debris problem can be seen along the road between Lorient & Saline, at the corner where the road turns left to Saline or goes up & over the hill into St. Jean. This corner formerly was the site of a bunch of rocks . . . it now is more aptly named "Mount Dump!" as it has become an enormous hill of damaged refrigerators and other appliances, roofing materials, glass, metal, wood, etc.. Probably only a "holding" location, pending space becoming available at the incineration plant / recycling center in Public . . . but it's unmistakable evidence of damage, loss, and destruction to property and the emotional lives of many people.

Speaking of trash, on Sunday, October 29, there is a big clean-up planned along the road by the salt ponds in Grand Cul de Sac, as the residents continue the clean-up of their island, starts at 7am... Great way to show some solidarity for the islanders!

Grand nettoyage de la route des étangs de Grand Cul de Sac dimanche 29 octobre à 7h. On vous attends nombreux

elgreaux ...Thank you for sharing your local knowledge with us.
We will be in St Barth soon and really hope an opportunity similar to the above mentioned will be planned.
We are traveling for an extended period so hopefully more events will overlap with our stay so we can get involved in helping rebuild our favorite little paradise.
please keep sharing or DM us directly.

elgreaux ...Thank you for sharing your local knowledge with us.
We will be in St Barth soon and really hope an opportunity similar to the above mentioned will be planned.
We are traveling for an extended period so hopefully more events will overlap with our stay so we can get involved in helping rebuild our favorite little paradise.
please keep sharing or DM us directly.

Thanks - there are frequent clean-ups especially post-Irma, so I will post any info I get...!

Well,sadly,this isn't the explanation.Sorry.

It should also be stated that this pile of trash is located in one designated place in St Barth.(and not all over the island)
I also wonder why people should be surprise to see a photo of waste in a waste collection site.And how it's relevant,to be honest.Anybody who visited the "dechetterie" on the harbor saw even bigger piles of waste (last march for example)
It seems to me it's a logical location for it.But maybe things are done differently in other countries (JOKING).
But hey,if you think there's no wifi on the island,you may also believe the island is all brown with loads of garbage everywhere.

Much of the island is still without Wi-Fi, where it is connected to the phone system, and many landlines are still out in various neighborhoods...why do you continue to say otherwise. And I am full of hope.. hope that we will get it back sooner than later....

Absolutely no one is denying there are lots of problems to solve
As you mention the wifi,there are various issues at play,including the fiber optic market,delaying everything ..but solutions are on the way very soon
Same goes for the trash ..it's piling up because of lack of boats to pick it up ..not because there's too much of it
Delays for roofs are linked to shipping also .
Lots of complex issues,but many not linked to the island itself

. . . it now is more aptly named "Mount Dump!" as it has become an enormous hill of damaged refrigerators and other appliances, roofing materials, glass, metal, wood, etc..

Must bring back memories of the tons of tires across from the Normandie that the island finally cleared in response to the Chikungunya outbreak a few years back. No doubt you will celebrate when this mountain is made low just as you did when the tires shipped out. Until then, a breeding ground as well as an eyesore.

Your photos are very welcome and give us a "black bird's eye view" of the progress of SBH. People who are heading down there are not expecting what was, so all the photos, ensemble, give a picture. Ellen's comments are very poignant and I don't think there is anyone who would not wish to help with those who have no homes, no roofs, no connectivity. Please let us know what the best way is to help if you can't get there. But there is hope as anyone who has been to St-Barth and loves it as much as those on this blog do, will not feel that the essence of St-Barth has disappeared. Shorelines change with the tide, the seaweed comes and goes, the hikes to the Natural Pools may have changed, but the sand, the rocks, the trees, the iguanas, and the goodness of those who live and work on the island have not. There will be some same and some new places for the magic to happen, but happen it will, because no hurricane can wipe out the essence of so much love.

IMG_1307.jpgIMG_1311.jpg

A lovely colombier view from the winair flight to SXM
And another photo of the very busy SXM terminal,with a AA flight to Miami 95% full....
Quick immigration,quick bus...all they need is to cut this for people in transit (hopefully,they will get it for this winter.Bus with 10 people all going to Miami and no luggage.....why go through immigration twice ? and use a bus twice ? )
Simplify...gain time,save resources
Also,it seems the inspection of the terminal was done and the terminal structure is sound....No need to demolish it.

And another photo of the very busy SXM terminal,with a AA flight to Miami 95% full....
Quick immigration,quick bus...all they need is to cut this for people in transit (hopefully,they will get it for this winter.Bus with 10 people all going to Miami and no luggage.....why go through immigration twice ? and use a bus twice ? )
Also,it seems the inspection of the terminal was done and the terminal structure is sound....No need to demolish it.

Ive been wondering about layovers there. That video of the tent terminal only showed what happened for people staying on St Martin with the flow leading people out to a taxi area. I have some layovers at SXM and was curious if they had us leave and come back through again or if there was an area for layover people to wait with out leaving.

I would try to avoid spending a night there.Flying over St Marten doesn't make me want to stay the night.
Irma did a ton of damage there.
The harbor seemed "out of the woods" at least,despite lots of debris around it.
These islands were already on the brink,before the hurricane.I really wonder if they will make it ..or become a sort of broken state.How can Puerto Rico with 70 billions of debt "come back" ? same goes for St Marteen or Guadeloupe

I would try to avoid spending a night there.Flying over St Marten doesn't make me want to stay the night.
Irma did a ton of damage there.
The harbor seemed "out of the woods" at least,despite lots of debris around it.
These islands were already on the brink,before the hurricane.I really wonder if they will make it ..or become a sort of broken state.How can Puerto Rico with 70 billions of debt "come back" ? same goes for St Marteen or Guadeloupe

I have no overnight layovers there. Just a couple hours each time.

Must bring back memories of the tons of tires across from the Normandie that the island finally cleared in response to the Chikungunya outbreak a few years back.
Your memory of that nightmare, Izzy, is much appreciated. It was absurd that the Collectivite was spending a lot of money & pretense in seeking to eliminate Chikungunya, yet a primary breeding ground was allowed to accumulate in that collection of old tires. In this regard, I always will offer thanks to President Bruno for personally sizing-up the situation and orchestrating the order that got the tires removed.

I always will offer thanks to President Bruno for personally sizing-up the situation and orchestrating the order that got the tires removed.

Well said,we can thank God to have mr Bruno Magras as president.
Imagine Helene Bernier or Benoit Chauvin managing the aftermath of Irma.Totally scary

"Let's rebuild wooden case creole","let's ban construction" and so on.
The island will survive the hurricane.But wouldn't have survived with them.

Under pressure,the collectivity adopted new rules for roofs in the island.And those types of roofs are more susceptible to be blown away during hurricanes.
Collectivity is going to change the building rules,after Irma.Hopefully,rules will be smarter.

"Imagine Helene Bernier or Benoit Chauvin managing the aftermath of Irma.Totally scary

"Let's rebuild wooden case creole","let's ban construction" and so on."

Chris - Over the years we have noticed a huge up tick in traffic, construction, and noise, so to have committed members of the SBH community looking out for her natural beauty is important. I have not met the 2 people you mentioned above, but their love the island matches mine, and it is difficult to run against the pack and regulation fighting for something you believe in. They deserve our respect for their commitment. They want to see as much of SBH's beauty remain, there is nothing wrong with that. The Lorax comes to mind. I don't think the snarky comment is warranted at this time.

The mods got rid of the political forum for a reason, and I probably should not have opened my mouth, but I just didn't feel I could sit by while you trashed Helene and Benoit.

Charlotte

"Imagine Helene Bernier or Benoit Chauvin managing the aftermath of Irma.Totally scary

"Let's rebuild wooden case creole","let's ban construction" and so on."

Chris - Over the years we have noticed a huge up tick in traffic, construction, and noise, so to have committed members of the SBH community looking out for her natural beauty is important. I have not met the 2 people you mentioned above, but their love the island matches mine, and it is difficult to run against the pack and regulation fighting for something you believe in. They deserve our respect for their commitment. They want to see as much of SBH's beauty remain, there is nothing wrong with that. The Lorax comes to mind. I don't think the snarky comment is warranted at this time.

The mods got rid of the political forum for a reason, and I probably should not have opened my mouth, but I just didn't feel I could sit by while you trashed Helene and Benoit.

Charlotte
Hear hear. Helene is a friend of the island and a friend to all of us.

Hear hear. Helene is a friend of the island and a friend to all of us.

Yes she is and has worked almost single handedly over the years for any semblance of environmental protection...
she should be applauded for her work, which yesterday and today actually consists of being at the sports stadium in St Jean collecting furniture and appliances that hotels and big villas were throwing away, so that the 100 or so families that are currently homeless can get donations as they rebuild...

lots of clothes and toys were dropped off as well...

so while some are criticizing Helene, she is working hard for the benefit of others !

I have been coming to the island for 49 years ..and I do love it
But it doesn't mean I am fit to run it
Walking around with tourists and managing a billion euros business isn't exactly the same job.
Anyway ,all locals I met were making that joke.
By the way ,you can now listen on the local radio to the collectivity meetings.Enlightning is the word to describe it

The island is indeed fortunate to have leaders such as Bruno and Helene who are working tirelessly in their respective rolls to help St. Barth recover.

View attachment 43588View attachment 43589

This Pic reminds me of SXM in the old days when you got your luggage in the carousel in the metal "barn" with everyone smoking around you and then walking up to the WinAir ticket counter by the street to hop on a flight without the need for reservations.... Ahh the old days...

Status
Not open for further replies.