Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What about some optimism and hope ?

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2002 Highlands NJ Posts: 6,807

Re: What about some optimism and hope ?

My friend Doug is on island now and just posted live video of Select and tbe streets. Absolutely mobbed with live marching band in the streets. People everywhere having a blast gotta love the spirit of sbh
    The last of the famous international playboys

Moderator Joined: Jun 2003 Vélo, Virginia Posts: 16,797

Peter, can you share the video with us?
    The best moderation is the least moderation.

I would love to but sadly all I could do was like or comment. It was insanity great to see

Kimberly Reed is also friends with him maybe she can figure out how to share it

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,605

Here's a link to a video on the PaSha St Barth FB page. You may need to be logged into FB in order to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/pashastbart...5270297560814/

Party in the streets!

SBH Insider Joined: May 2017 Posts: 721

Name:  IMG_4049.JPG
Views: 999
Size:  344.8 KBName:  IMG_4062.JPG
Views: 1033
Size:  598.1 KB

Here are two photos made this week end on the island....the Saline beach access...and a garden.Frangipanier trees (and others) doing just great.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,521

Thanks Chris, I needed this!
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Thanks Chris, I needed this!
    Thanks for lovely comment...Don't worry...Island is battling hard:All the gloom and doom will soon be forgotten
    Good news of the day.The Cata cup (mid november) will take place.
    Saline beach is a few meters lower....but will look as stunning as ever after seaweed clean up.
    Hopefully,we will also get good news from Cote port.
    Island needs some rain at the moment (just rain..no wind) to turn green

LES VOILES DE ST BARTH 2018 ARE A GO
    (just out)

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/20...s-de-st-barth/

Weather update again

Conditions in October and November may end up quite favorable for Atlantic tropical cyclone development, especially in the Caribbean, which is a climatological hot spot late in the season. Sea surface temperatures in the Caribbean are substantially above average (1-2°C), and long-range models are calling for below-average surface pressures during October in the western Caribbean, which signals a higher-than-usual chance of tropical development. Moreover, we are currently in a La Niña-like pattern—with cooler-than-average sea surface temperatures (SSTs) already present in the eastern tropical Pacific—and this may help keep wind shear in the tropical Atlantic below average.
    Both the GFS and European long-range models are suggesting the potential for a tropical cyclone developing in the Northwest Caribbean or eastern Gulf of Mexico somewhere in the 7- to 14-day period. In an outlook published on Tuesday, NOAA/NWS Climate Prediction Center (CPC) highlighted a moderate risk of tropical cyclone formation in the Oct. 4 – 10 period across the Northwest Caribbean and southern Gulf of Mexico. An atmospheric Kelvin wave located in the eastern equatorial Pacific this week will be moving toward Central America, favoring upward motion, according to CPC.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 11,317

That video is the SBH we know. Thank you for posting it!

Name:  IMG_1201.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  182.6 KBName:  IMG_1205.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  186.3 KB

These photos were taken today (17/10) at 17.30 (winair flight with dark windows)
    Island is turning green and looks near normal
    will share my flight experience through SXM tomorrow

Chris, it is so good to see so much green has come back. Thank you for brightening the day.

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 2,028

Glad to see this.

The view from the little plane as we pass Ile Forchue and Gustavia grows ever closer always brings a big smile to my face. Can’t wait to see it again in person!
    On an island in the sun we'll be playing and having fun.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,427

Thanks for the photos Chris! Looking forward to a lot more. Try to get some shots of the new beach at Grand Fond if it's still there.

SBH Member Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 34

Really looking forward to your SXM experience. Hope it goes swimmingly!

Name:  IMG_1206.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  382.0 KB

A "feel good" photo....more trees growing really quickly and a lovely sunset sky.

Name:  IMG_1194.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  193.9 KBName:  IMG_1195.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  226.7 KBName:  IMG_1197.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  256.6 KB

SXM airport as yesterday.
    Here's a short description of my flight from Europe.American Airlines from London to SXM with a stop (1 night) in Miami.
    The usual "american hell" (sorry,guys)...tons of questioning in London for security purposes (where,how,with you...etc),and questions increasingly stupid,to be honest.Once in Miami,ver 1 hour to get out of the airport...They have hundreds of machines to process ESTA passengers...but you still need a guy to verify after.Of course,shortage of manpower and huge lines...When will they get it ?
    Please note both AA flights were perfectly on time (Air France,if you are listening )
    the MIA-SXM was 75% full.Not bad in october in my opinion
    SXM terminal is now "outside" in a tent.2 agents to process all passengers...(due to lack of space)
    I then connected on a winair flight (took a bus to go to another tent).After going through immigration and security again,you end in the former luggage area,converted in a hall....The "blue bitch bar" has opened there (true).
    Talked to an airport rep.He said the structure of the airport moved during Irma,as the hurricane was so intense.Experts will need to assess the building before starting renovation.He expected a 1 year process.He also said the delta flights were kind of empty at the moment
    Locals are doing their best...but clearly,the airport is a huge disaster.Can they handle several planes at the same time in winter ? I am not sure.
    I highly suggest flying through SJU and connecting with tradewinds to reach SBH...or Antigua,or pointe a Pitre (if you are really desperate).
    Security and boarding are much faster in other airports.Too bad for Miami.
    The AA flight also lands late (15.10 in SXM)...few options to fly to SBH from there that late.Did winair or commuter bother to adapt schedule ? nope...Commuter cancelled flights to Juliana and flies grand case for the moment....so you can all enjoy the lovely taste of St Marteen taxis.))

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 45,205

Good reporting Chris. Seems that as long as the tents are there the flights in will be sparse. Do you know if the tower is working or are the planes landing visually?

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 457

That's interesting reporting Chris. Sorry for your troubles going to MIA. Part of the problems that you had to deal with are the same reasons why we always opt to fly direct from BOS to eliminate a missed connection.

The comment "the structure of the airport moved" is a little surprising. This comment can be taken so many different ways and I am guessing it's not quite as bad as it might seem on the surface as all structures are designed to move..... how much movement that can be tolerated before cracks appear in various places is another item.

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    Do you know if the tower is working or are the planes landing visually?
    Tower seems to be working,if i understood correctly.

Answering Steelpe,it seems the "structure moving" is a real negative as they now need to assess if structure is still safe and sound.It seems some areas showed cracks.Something that will require experts coming over,further delaying any renovation.

Name:  DJI_0049.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  250.9 KB

Another (better) photo of the same view...Greening is clearly visible.And St Barth looks almost "normal"..it would look the same in march or april,after a few dry weeks.
    Weather is very strange,warm and misty.
    Island is very very quiet...no tourists,little traffic.

I like the show of green and am often amazed when we arrive to find tan, gold and brown foliage. Like, I ponder where did all the green go? I know, the secret ingredient is rain. But I think the cisterns are full and I appreciate that more work can get done when there is little to no rain.

Quote Originally Posted by chris83 View Post
    Once in Miami,ver 1 hour to get out of the airport...They have hundreds of machines to process ESTA passengers...but you still need a guy to verify after.Of course,shortage of manpower and huge lines...When will they get it ?
    Not sure if that had anything to do with you issue, but a lot of those Miami workers have been deployed to Puerto Rico to help with hurricane recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart -my real name- View Post
    Not sure if that had anything to do with you issue, but a lot of those Miami workers have been deployed to Puerto Rico to help with hurricane recovery.
    It's simply a shortage of manpower at border checks.It used to be near 2 hours in Miami and 3-4 hours in Miami before those machines ..It got better when machines arrived....nowadays,too many machines and less humans create this glut.
    At least they dropped the "customs declaration" and individual checks at exit.
    All airports are trying to cope with massive amounts of passengers and renewed security concerns.
    European airlines (norwegian for example) have cancelled their flights to SJU ...so Miami was the only option with AA

Quote Originally Posted by chris83 View Post
    It's simply a shortage of manpower at border checks.It used to be near 2 hours in Miami and 3-4 hours in Miami before those machines ..It got better when machines arrived
    Right.

What I was trying to say is some of the Miami Customs agents have been deployed to Puerto Rico to assist in the hurricane recovery. I never fly through there so I can’t comment on whether the manpower shortages are because of the hurricane or just business as usual.

Name:  IMG_1225.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  173.0 KB

St Jean beach is tourist ready

Name:  IMG_1227.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  262.7 KB

Something i had never seen on the island...The road to Saline deep underwater....Quite intriguing

Name:  IMG_1229.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  542.8 KB

Another example of the island turning green.....Overlooking Salines

Name:  IMG_1231.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  384.9 KBName:  IMG_1232.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  224.3 KB

Gouverneur beach soon tourist ready (working on it)